1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are blog comments still worth doing for seo

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by RDarby, Apr 21, 2014.

One of the most basic ways I can see of building a large number of inbound links is through blog commenting, but I want to know if this really makes any difference anymore? are blog comments worth wile? or will google ignore them/penalize me for this type of link?

Thank you for the info

RDarby, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  2. ineedfreedom

ineedfreedom Active Member

Best Answers:
    High Quality Page Rank Links will do well, Relevent Content.

ineedfreedom, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  3. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    People worry too much about getting penalized by Google. Sure, I'd always like to rank better there, but the fact is that it is such a small percentage of my traffic sources that I don't waste my time thinking about what Google likes. If I comment on a blog it is a legitimate comment, and if they offer the ability to include a link I will, as long as it points to something relevant to the article I am commenting on. In general, I think more about what is more interesting for my visitors and for the visitors of those other blogs. If Google is to ever delist me for putting the end-user ahead of them then so be it. It would only be a minor dent in traffic anyway.

Foxxy, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  4. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have not seen returns in the last 2 years from blog commenting. I run tests all the time, and the gain seen from blog commenting on SERP rankings is negligible, if anything.

However, if you find a high authority (PR6+) site that is relative to your niche (like @ineedfreedom's description), then it does help to establish some credibility to your site. It's like getting a nod of approval that your site is indeed talking about the topic you're ranking for.

When a site is in it's infant months, as you have probably seen, SERP rankings like to bounce around. Getting a link like this will make things settle down a lot faster.

Hope this helps,
    Diggity

DiggitySEO, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its still worth it for SEO if not abuse for spamming purposes. It will be useful if the blog site that your commenting is related to your niche and it will contribute or give ideas to the site's content.

KylieSweet, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  6. rozerr

rozerr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bulk spam blog comments to get back-links is not valuable for high ranking anymore. I recommend blog comments only if blog post is relevant to your site, and you have something informative that adds some value to the blog post, then it's a good way to get some traffic.

rozerr, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    luanatf likes this.
  7. Shortest

Shortest Peon

Best Answers:
    agreed with @rozerr blog comments are spammy links, they won't get you much juice

Shortest, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  8. nightwolf909

nightwolf909 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't bother with them. Maybe only from time to time if you can get one published on actual high PR page on the blog that is relevant, but all together not something to bash your head around.

nightwolf909, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  9. VukasinI

VukasinI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blog commenting won't bring you higher in SEO, especially not if you automate them. If you start giving honest comments on people blogs and try to establish a good relationship, that could result in long term.

VukasinI, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  10. Beckeren

Beckeren Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, blog commenting is still a very effective way to get effective backlinks. But you have to make sure that you only do blog commenting on blogs within your niche and always use a real name as name and not your keyword as many people use for blog commenting. You can place your links within your comment in a natural way which would be more effective for your rather than you place your keyword instead of your name in the name section.

Beckeren, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  11. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do the exact opposite. I never use my real name. I use a keyword or keyword phrase as my name, using something that directly relates the post I am commenting on, and then linking it to a page that directly relates to the keyword phrase I used as name (preferably with the same keyword in title, body, etc). I don't know if I get any actual SEO value from it because I don't really monitor it that closely, but I think it gives people a better idea of what to expect if they should click on the link.

Foxxy, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  12. beenashir

beenashir Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google not ignore them/penalize blog commenting if must follow few thinks/rules: Clearly/carefully read whole blog post then comments if seen any lacking or improve any information.

beenashir, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  13. imrizk

imrizk Active Member

Best Answers:
    not much, but its nice to have diverse traffic sources.

imrizk, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  14. SuperiorWD

SuperiorWD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Foxxy, the issue is that many bloggers will consider you a spammer if you 1. use a keyword in the name section and 2. deep link. I usually don't approve such comments and many are having the same issue. It's pretty annoying to discuss with 'webmaster forums' or 'cheap shoes'. I usually write my nickname, even if it won't help me 'seo wise'.
    My focus, when it comes to commenting on blogs, is to get targeted visits. Usually this helps me spread the word about my site and I get people who come and visit. Sure, it's not a good SEO move, but the traffic IMO is worth the hassle

SuperiorWD, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  15. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, I can't really comment much on this as some says that Blog commenting is yielding then results some say its just a waste. What I am going to prefer is as long as things looks white it is clean, so if you want to forward with the blog commenting go forward with it but do remember stay low and keep yourself clean i.e. in terms of the posting the low quality comments that looks like spamming.

John Dave, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  16. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a lot of mixed opinion, John. I honestly do not know, but I do know that my recent blog comments are making an appearance on ahrefs and Majestic SEO, so I have to assume that there is some SEO value to them. I just really have no way of measuring what that value is or how it compares to years past.

I do agree with WD that if you avoid keyword names and deep linking you will probably get more of your blog comments approved. I do both of these things routinely. I've never checked to see what percentage is getting approved vs ignored, but I'm sure I would get more approvals if I did it differently. Still, I like having keywords for the name, and I think there is value in the deep linking, so I will keep doing it anyway. I just have to make sure that the comment itself is compelling enough to convince the blog owner to approve it.

Foxxy, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  17. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've always seen blog commenting as something I can use to make personal connections with the authors of the post. Generally, it's better to stay on the safe side of Google and not use blog comments as a tool to get traffic. Not only will that keep you in the "green" with google, but also the authors of the blog posts will appreciate that you're actually posting relevant comments, and not just trying to get traffic to your own website.

YJunK, Apr 24, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  18. luanatf

luanatf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience, blog comments indirectly affect SEO, because they give you visibility and reputation (which can lead to 'natural' backlinks).

But like @SuperiorWD says, I wouldn't use keywords in the name, because it devalues the relationship factor (you talk to a person, not to a webpage!). However, you could use name formulas like:

Your Name @ Example.com
    Your Name, <keyword here> Blogger
    Your Name, Position at Example.com

etc. Those generally work and give readers a clue of what you do for a profession or an online activity. :)

luanatf, Apr 24, 2014 IP
    pitdark16, Foxxy and dcristo like this.
  19. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Blog commenting has never been a SEO tactic.

dcristo, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  20. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Blog comment will get you few useful traffic (Because I am having the habit of visiting previous comment providers blog while posting comment in a blog). I don't care what Google thinks...

kittyluver, Apr 24, 2014 IP
    Foxxy and luanatf like this.