1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Arabic DMOZ is corrupted !

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by abdobasha2004, Dec 20, 2010.

It is well known to Arab webmasters that DMOZ editors take monet for listing and they are known and one said he paid for his website to be listed 4 or 5 times in different directories, e.g for sites added for 4 or 5 times : jeddahbikers.com, brg8.com, jsoft.com
    others paid for not adding competitive sites !!

you can also translate how famous Arab writers find DMOZ :
    http://www.rasheed-b.com/2008/07/23/what-is-to-be-done-with-dmoz-illbehavior/
    http://www.swalif.net/softs/swalif54/softs228182/
    http://www.nasbcom.net/vb/showthread.php?t=10108

abdobasha2004, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Many sites have multiple listings, and while many of them are sites owned by editors, some are just plain super enough to hold their own in several categories.

In most cases the editing team does not really care though... so your complain will likely go unheard by anyone that matters.

Search the ODP for TOPIX and you'll see it has nearly 20,000 listings most of which actually do NOT conform to the guidelines. This site is owned by an editor!

Now check out this link: http://directory.domaintools.com/internet-statistics/dmoz-listings.php?p=1

You'll see that some sites have been certainly shown some favoritism!

Qryztufre, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  3. earnincome

earnincome Peon

Best Answers:
    Mostly now a days, dmoz is going wrong way. Many editors taking money to get clients site listed in dmoz.

earnincome, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre is correct (kudos) when he says "Many sites have multiple listings, and while many of them are sites owned by editors, some are just plain super enough to hold their own in several categories."

In my own experience I see more of the latter... (some sites are just more prone to usability for deeplinks than others)... but in a general directory with a dual tree (having Topical and Regional branches) many sites could feasibly qualify for at least two listings, in both the Topical and Regional branches.

HOW TO REPORT ABUSE
    If you have evidence of abuse... mentioning it here isn't "reporting it", to report it go to THIS PAGE and hit link at top right side of page that says report abuse/spam.

NOTE: You could hit the link in this post that says "report abuse/spam" if you want to report in english, but going to the first page I linked should give you an option of doing it in your native language if preferred.

--------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    robjones, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  5. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To save time you can remove the word Arabic from your statement - Arabic DMOZ is corrupted !

CanadianEh, Dec 22, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  6. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:
    It could be helpful if dmoz look after such issues seriously.

NeVerTrYFoRME, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Rob openly posted where to report abuse, every report is taken very seriously, but just believe that most people who come on here and accuse DMOZ of corruption do so because they have been booted as an editor, or sites rejected, sites removed or just to try and make trouble. Few, if any, report sites, and mostly after investigation thye allegations are found untrue, but who wants to hear that, much more fashionable to make allegations and sadly seems to be allowed, even without any proof on DP these days. There used to be a sticky on here that said if people did that without proof they would get smacked. Sadly if was removed, sadly anyone can say anything without any check.

Anonymously, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  8. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:
    I think forums may be also helpfull to report such, if I am not saying anything against dmoz rules. :eek:

NeVerTrYFoRME, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But who on forums goes back and corrects it? Do you?

The correct way, the most helpful way and the easiest way to get change is to report it in the category as you see it and updates are processed quicker than suggestions. There are very few updates requiring attention in the directory right now, we work on those quicker because either a webmaster or a member of the public is advising us that something has changed or is now wrong with the site. So don't complain on here do it in the category, unless that is someone just wants to try and say that DMOZ is full of bad links, but is out to try and cause trouble and nothing to do with trying to help the volunteers who all work very hard in the directory, giving vast amounts of time.

Anonymously, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I dunno about any of that... I mean, I've reported Topix Listings that are still there, and very very very few of those actually meet the criteria of the ODP guidelines. So yeah, tell us again how the report function works?

Qryztufre, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dang, do I have to sing Kumbayah to get people to take a break from grinching within hours of Christmas eve? Q, the guys that own the directory made the decision on Topix. They own it, they get to do that. You dont own the directory, you don't get to make the call, so your objection to the existence of Topix doesnt really factor in. You know it wasn't some devious plot perpetrated by the multitude of volunteers who plug time into the place, so why bitch? Does it really make a hill of beans difference?

Chill, enjoy the holidays... have a good Christmas. :)

robjones, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    you are correct, but them adding it does NOT make it compliant with the guidelines now does it?

the FACT that 99.9% of those 20,000 listings are NOT compliant with the guidelines does not mean anything to them, and I guess that is OK... but as it means a lot to others, why not share the holiday joy?

I mean, lets all spread the word that corruption within the ODP starts at the VERY TOP, as per your very post ;) :p

I don't make the decisions, I just point out the bad ones :D

Kind of... I mean, think about it. Look at the number of people complaining that they can not get one site in that fits the guidelines, then look at the one that does not that breaks SEVERAL points in the guidelines and has 20k listed pages?

Making things fair? Looking out for the end user? Wait times being cut down? (yeah, this counts, Topix was bot listed!)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    Qryztufre, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  13. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    RE:I don't make the decisions, I just point out the bad ones....

Except you don't own it, and don't edit there. Might as well tell Ford your personal opinion of the transmission on the Mustang.
    ""...............

RE:Look at the number of people complaining that they can not get one site in
    Making things fair? Looking out for the end user? Wait times being cut down? (yeah, this counts, Topix was bot listed!).

So wait times will be improved by removing deep links added years ago? Really? That's how you're gonna cure that? Is removing them a fix because it adds more space? Gee, if the issue is space, maybe they could just use smaller fonts. Ya think?

Lol. Ya gotta get out more.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    robjones, Dec 24, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I dont think thats possible :( The Doctors in the asylum monitor his movements pretty closely.

snooks, Dec 25, 2010 IP
  15. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    after reading all these replies, I am sure you got that right :)

abdobasha2004, Dec 25, 2010 IP
  16. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what will you say when you know that I reported a certain editor for obvious abuse that is discussed and agreed by many users (in links I posted) more than a dozen and he still moderate the whole arabic section !!

abdobasha2004, Dec 25, 2010 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I say great :) If we have an abusive editor we need to know about it. I hope that you reported it through official channels and if so, be assured that it will be investigated.

Having said that, many things can be made to look like abuse when in fact, there are legitimate reasons, eg. insufficient editors in that language, lack of editing interest in that area, the sites being unlistable.

You provide the info, it will be investigated :)

snooks, Dec 25, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hard evidence is what's important. Hearsay and opinion aren't.

jimnoble, Dec 25, 2010 IP
  19. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, there are many hoax about dmoz. I do not think getting busy with such bias issues will be any good practice. :)

NeVerTrYFoRME, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no clue what you mean :(.
    If you really want to become an ODP editor, I suggest that you request a category in your first language from dmoz.org/World.

jimnoble, Dec 26, 2010 IP