1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Approaching development of e-commerce site

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by gotscribble, Sep 11, 2014.

Hey all,

I'm interested in starting an e-commerce site and was considering developing the online shop using a hosted platform (shopify.com). But now I'm thinking maybe I should setup a self-hosted wordpress site using an e-commerce theme/plugin to test my business idea which will save me the $30/month or so fee for using Shopify while I test if my business idea is viable.

Anyone have experience/thoughts on the WooCommerce WP plugin? Also, should I try an all inclusive e-commerce theme or will I need a combination of an e-comm theme and plugin? Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance.

gotscribble, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  2. Brandyn Armstrong

Brandyn Armstrong Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I actually made an online store with moonfruit. It was very nice and easy. I would recommend you to try that before you purchase any other web makers. I believe they have a free trial also if i'm not mistaken

Brandyn Armstrong, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  3. ByteChef

ByteChef Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It all depends on how many products are there in your catalog. Wordpress is meant to be a blogging platform, so it will not scale much, beyond a certain point.

If in case you have many products, then going for a fully featured Ecommerce platform like Magento, Prestashop, Opencart or Oscommerce is recommended. All of the mentioned Ecommerce platforms are open source and is well supported, through forums etc.

But if you have a smallish product list, then off course you can go with WooCommerce, heard very good things about it. To be frank I do not know much about the WooCommerce themes.

ByteChef, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  4. Anthony Capetola

Anthony Capetola Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WooCommerce is fantastic. At this point its one of the most recommended solutions for store owners on tight budgets and who like WordPress as a whole.

I would highly recommend it. On average we see about 10-15 stores a week moving to WooCommerce.

Anthony Capetola, Sep 12, 2014 IP
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    woo commerce or marketpress with wordpress can certainly work well. I do everything with magento but that has a bit of a learning curve. It is however a full blown enterprise level solution for free.

N.

Nigel Lew, Sep 12, 2014 IP
  6. Harshal shah

Harshal shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I would suggest you can think for magento community edition. It has lots of feature in it. and its free. Lots of readymade plugins available to work on it.

Harshal shah, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  7. Alisha Sharma

Alisha Sharma Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion.. Open Cart is the best... It supports more than 500 Payment gateways.. Its pretty User friendly.. and also has an integrated Mail shooter & an affiliate program....

Alisha Sharma, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  8. developer77

developer77 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try also bonanzago.com store builder based on Prestashop. There is 30 days free trial

developer77, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  9. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We are all for folks being able to market their stuff around here but at least make an effort. Or hire a marketing guy. Spamming threads is not SEO. At least bother to say hi before you start dropping links to your stuff.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  10. Molly Ekman

Molly Ekman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, I too have good experience with moonfruit, I have tried and ya they do have free trial version.

Molly Ekman, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  11. mkrstic

mkrstic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would agree with Harshal shah, magento is maybe good place to start. It's free of charge and there are a lot of features and modules which can help. Maybe you can install it on your local PC and play around a bit, before you purchase some other web shop.

mkrstic, Feb 8, 2015 IP
  12. SellerJoy.com

SellerJoy.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We offer a 100% free ecommerce site with most of the features of shopify. If you want more features our paid accounts are still more than 50% cheaper than shopify. As we're in beta, we're giving new users 50% off of premium plans for a limited time. You can use the code "FORMBETA" (without the quotes) for the discount on our premium accounts. Check us out at http://sellerjoy.com

SellerJoy.com, Mar 22, 2015 IP
  13. JimABlackmore

JimABlackmore Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this information, I will definately want to purchase the web makers, for creating my website.

JimABlackmore, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  14. Harshal shah

Harshal shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Sellerjoy,

Does your platform cusutomzable, in terms design and code?

Harshal shah, Apr 17, 2015 IP