1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

application configuration in IIS?

Discussion in 'C#' started by hardrocksr, Sep 6, 2006.

I have been transferring 3 mostly coldfusion sites from one box to another. Along the way I found some asp code that doesn't work on the new box. I dont have access to either box myself, having to put in tickets or emails. Hopefully I can get an answer here so I dont have to email both places back and forth 10 times.

The asp error i am getting is a "configuration" error and suggests to check to ensure the application on the virtual directory is set up. I dont have any virtual directorys set up on the new server like the old, instead i actually popped the directroy into the web root as a real directory but no luck.

Here come the questions:

Does the application have to be configured on the website root? or does it have to be the folder with the asp code in it? does the application name matter?

Thanks

hardrocksr, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  2. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    quick answers, albeit vague ones. without more info from you its hard to answer specifics. I am assuming here that all of your ?'s have to do with asp.

Does the application have to be configured on the website root?

no. in theory, an app can be configured in a subdirectory if you wish.

or does it have to be the folder with the asp code in it?

depends on what you mean by "configuration". if you're using the filesystem object to create files, for instance, the "configuration" of the containing folder would have to grant the iusr access to write/change to that directory. if you're modifying an access database or appending a file, iusr would also need write/change access to those affected files. but in answer to your specific question here, no. it doesn't "have" to be anywhere.

does the application name matter?

no. as long as your reference to it is consistent throughout your code.

virtual directories are not the same as physical directories, though they do behave the same way. what sort of virtual directory are you referring to? are you talking about a cgi-bin or something like that? certain types of virtual directores require special permissions to execute scripts and write files etc... but without more info from you i can't get more specific than that.

HTH

VG

vectorgraphx, Sep 6, 2006 IP