1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

API servers

Discussion in 'Google API' started by jlawrence, May 17, 2005.

Are there different API server like there are different search servers - eg an API server per datacenter ?
    The reason I'm asking is I'm seeing different results with different tools.
    Keyword tracker is showing less indexed pages than some other API tools.

jlawrence, May 17, 2005 IP
  2. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    yes. I don't know if it's per datacenter, but results can be different based on location.

crew, May 17, 2005 IP
  3. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's API results are so massively inaccurate that it wouldn't be wise to rely on them at all. They almost never show sites in the same position as the actual SERPs, nor do they show the same title and description. They can't even get the number of results to match up.

If you're seeking some kind of accuracy, the API will not help you. Sorry!

randfish, May 17, 2005 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ - the results from Shawn's keyword tracker (which uses the Google API) and my own hacked up Perl code (that also uses the API) provides results that are usually darn close to the actual SERP's, especially for those results that are "stable"

Yea, I occasionally see some differences, but since I do this as a hobby, I just mark it down as a bit of randomness that is to be expected - heck, I sometimes have seen the results move when I hit the reload button on the "actual" SERP's.

hulkster, May 20, 2005 IP
  5. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I find the API reasonably good on stable results.
    I can't get a site: search to return anywhere near the correct number of results when comapred to a normal search though I'm pretty sure this is mean misunderstanding one of the variables returned.

jlawrence, May 21, 2005 IP