1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[API] ga:pagepath has wrong values? (using custom metrics&dimensions)

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by wildowen, Nov 9, 2015.

Hi, I'm new here, freshly registered :cool:

For the last week I was experimenting in my shop with custom metrics and dimensions. For example I wanted to track how many times a "registered user" visits which "category" or "product". I know it should be done with "Enhanced Ecommerce" plugin, that is why I call it experiment :)
    1. On a category page I set "dimension1" with value of user id and "metric1" with category_id.
    2. On the product page I set all of the above (user_id and the category_id product belongs to) and I add another "metric2" with product_id
    Api is called with parameters:
    • metrics: ga: pageviews,ga:metric1,ga:metric2
    • dimensions: ga: pagePath, ga: dimension1, ga:date
    The result is as expected, I get which user_id visited which category_id/product_id

Sometimes, result row has wrong value in pagePath. How I know?
    When category_id=5 and no product_id is set, "pagePath" should be "/category/cat-food"
    But some result rows with category_id=5 has the wrong pagePath: "/category/dog-food"

I am 100% sure I never set different category metric in the same category.
    It looks to me that GA is grouping dimensions/metrics somehow - I do not understand.

Any ideas why API call is giving me different pagePaths for the same metric (category)?
    SEMrush
    Thank you :)
    cheers

wildowen, Nov 9, 2015 IP
    SEMrush