1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apache services in not running after XAMPP installation

Discussion in 'Apache' started by early_riser, May 3, 2012.

Hi All,

I recently installed XAMPP in my PC.

When I want to start the Apache module, I got an error saying "Apache service not started".
    I went to control panel > adminstrative tools > services and started it from there. I got an error, "Windows could not start the Apache2.2 on Local Computer"
    I went to see the System Event Log files. The error was "The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function.."

I went to check for logs in C:\xampp\apache\logs, but folder is empty
    I checked my port 80 and it is free (no application is using)
    I run httpd.exe -t to check for any mispelled, but syntax was OK.
    Somebody mentioned about disabling the IIS services and TeamViewer, but I didn't find any of those services in my PC.
    I tried to remove the apache service by running the apache_uninstallservice.bat but it says "The system cannot find the path specified".

I believed that some lines in httpd.conf is pointing to some invalid links, but couldn't figure out which.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Thanks.

early_riser, May 3, 2012 IP
  2. nevyoung

nevyoung Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had very similar experiences. I have used XAMPP successfully previously, but now can no longer get the Apache 2.2 server running no matter how many XAMPP versions I have used and how many times reinstalled.
    The problem occurs on both laptop and desktop networked through router at my home. Could it be that some network settings are interfering with Apache?
    Apache cannot start at all - most common error is 'cannot find the path specified' and it includes double backslashes in the events log error report - c:\\xampp\\apache\\...etc. So it also cannot open the log file. I can verify that by seeing that the log file is still the original one when installed.
    I have tried all the usual suggestions such as checking that port 80 is not being used elsewhere, changing the port to 8080, etc etc.

Any ideas?

nevyoung, May 6, 2012 IP
  3. nevyoung

nevyoung Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I have found the problem ------ in every installation I have tried (from ZIP) there has not been an empty \xampp\apache\logs directory. However, that empty folder does exist inside the zip. If I create an empty /logs directory in my installation, then Apache has no problem starting up!

I am using PKZIP through Ztree (anyone know Ztree - greatest file handler ever?). It appears that PKZIP is set NOT to extract and create an empty folder. WinRAR DOES create the empty folder.

This probably explains all the weird errors I have been seeing, and to understand how the absence of a \logs directory results in those errors would be an interesting exercise, but time does not allow.

The 1st question when querying an Apache startup problem is thus: Does an apache/logs directory exist? If not, them create one.

Could this be an answer to the hundreds and probably thousands of other queries about Apache not starting up?

nevyoung, May 7, 2012 IP