1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

apache server log errors?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by gatordun, Jul 29, 2005.

Really why are people looking for your cgibin and other files that do not exist?
    And why look in a folder for an image that was never there?
    Attempts to hack?

Any way to stop broswers looking for this -> favicon.ico ?

What are these errors about?

Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden: /home/cust2/html/_vti_bin/shtml.exe

Invalid method in request !b!!!

gatordun, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    There are a ton of spiders out there that look for security holes - things like running older versions of phpBB, etc. that have easy to exploit security issues. You'll probably notice a few viruses trying to attack IIS specific holes as well. They are just probing to see if there's a possibility of getting in.

favicon.ico is a file you should have up. Pretty much all browsers these days look for it, so you might as well put something up there to get rid of the 404's at the very least. It's the icon that shows in your favorites list or in the URL bar.

You can shut down a good deal of spiders with .htaccess - there are a few files out there on the web you can google for that are pretty extensive. It's doubtful you will completely rid yourself of them though.

The error you posted means that you are trying to utilize a rewrite rule that tries to use a symbolic link, but that Options FollowSymLinks is not enabled. You can fix it by either: Enabling Options FollowSymLinks in your httpd.conf file or changing your mod_rewrite rule to use a normal directory instead of a linked directory.

nevetS, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  3. gatordun

gatordun Guest

Best Answers:
    I have mega files for denying certain robots.
    Look under htaccess and robots under the apache forum!
    I posted a few on here that where mine and friends lists.
    Some bots are good so i want them.

Really we don't need another icon = favicon.ico.
    Maybe a smiley emoticon then? :)

Think this second one something to do with drive b on the server?
    Think these 2 errors are from the admin:

Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden: /home/cust2/html/_vti_bin/shtml.exe

Invalid method in request !b!!!

gatordun, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I think you missed my response.

To resolve this error:

PHP:
    You need to edit your httpd.conf file to allow the following of Symbolic Links. Symbolic Links are when you are accessing an aliased directory. Either that or edit your mod_rewrite rules so that they don't access Symbolic Links. Under the Options Directive, just add FollowSymLinks next to the other parameters like FileInfo.

The Invalid Method in request !b error means someone is trying to access a page with "!" in the url. This could be an errant robot, or perhaps you have a link that is meant to have either a 1 in the url or a ? in the url and there was a typo.

nevetS, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  5. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    If these log entries are annoying you, you can alter your apache config to not log them.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/119

tells you how..

forkqueue, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  6. gatordun

gatordun Guest

Best Answers:
    OK Thanks.
    I just hate bandwidth suckers and attempted hacks.

gatordun, Jul 30, 2005 IP