1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apache 1 vs. Apache 2

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Will.Spencer, Jan 12, 2006.

On my new server (FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE), when I install the php4 (php4-4.4.0) package, it installs the apache 1 (apache-1.3.33_2) as a prerequisite.

The apache-2.1.4 package is also available. But... I can't install the apache-2.1.4 package without uninstalling the apache-1.3.33_2 package and I can't uninstall the apache-1.3.33_2 package because it's a prerequisite for the php4-4.4.0 package.

What do I lose if I run apache-1.3.22_2 instead of apache-2.1.4?

Recommendations?

(Note: The same symptoms arise with php5-5.0.4_2.)

Will.Spencer, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still use Apache 1.3 with no problems. Apache 2.0 is pretty far along and has good compatibility but not enough oompf imho to actually make the change unless you feel your server will be greatly strained.

Also you can force the php4 to use apache 2 I believe..

Try the freebsdforums.com site. I also run freebsd and usually there is a way to force your changes with a make configure change.

RectangleMan, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  3. galantonp

galantonp Peon

Best Answers:
    As I'm typing this Apache 2.2 is installing on FreeBSD 6.0 and I was VERY surprised to see that Apache 1.3.34 is being installed as a prereq. I must mention that I didn't install the port collection, but I got a fresh copy of the www collection from CVS instead.

Just my two cents :)
    Peter

galantonp, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I was using `sysinstall`, which I never really used for this before and won't use again. <blush>

It turns out that when you install php5 from the ports collection, it asks you which revision of Apache it should use as a prerequisite.

Will.Spencer, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  5. Important

Important Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use prefork MPM of apache 2, you don't get any significance performance gain since it's the same model which apache 1.3. Under some circumstances apache 2 increases performances, esp. where static content is concerned (though I am still not sure whether it's the incompatibality of the older scripts that cause issues in apache2 or something similar). I have been facing issues running php under Apache 2. PHP's connection_status() and user abort functions do not work under it and fsockopen's timeout is not functional. (at least in PHP 4.4.2 and apache 2.0.55)

Unless you have a website that doesn't use PHP, I would recommend Apache 1.3.x. And in such a case, I would recommend you to compile apache with worker MPM (esp. when your site gets much hits.) since worker mpm uses threaded model instead of the prefork model which is rather resource intesive.

Important, Jan 22, 2006 IP