1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anything that would hinder addition to DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by roseplant, Apr 4, 2006.

I've been told my site might get reviewed sometime in the near future (thanks brizzie, if you're reading this!). I haven't added a site to DMOZ before so I'm not really sure what a site might fail on. If anyone has a minute to spare could you take a look at www(dot)turkeyrenting(dot)com and tell me if anything jumps out as being inappropriate for dmoz? I really don't want to miss this chance by failing on something stupid!

roseplant, Apr 4, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't want to raise premature hopes roseplant. No-one can predict when the site might be reviewed. It could be tomorrow or it could be a year or more down the track. And I am not an editor anymore so I couldn't have any influence over timing in any case.

I did look at the site before and I didn't see anything that would obviously disqualify the site. But compare it to other sites in the category you are aiming at. Do you have comparable quality and quantity of content to the best ones already listed? If not then get working on adding more villas and more information and photos on each villa. Not to get the listing though but to get the surfers visiting and stopping on the site. They sort of follow one another. It never does any harm to keep monitoring the competition and raising your game to match and preferably overtake them regardless of DMOZ anyway. From a DMOZ perspective the slickness of the presentation is irrelevant - it is the original content editors will assess and for a villa rental site that will be the quantity of villas and the richness of the information on each.

Step 1 - ensure it is not a prohibited site - check the guidelines to make sure. There is a section on sites not to include.

Step 2 - does the site fit with the category description or is there a better match.

Step 3 - compare the relative quantity and quality of the content to similar sites on the same topic. Including listed sites and ones not yet listed (they may be competing for an editor's attention in the Unreviewed pool of sites) A half dozen villa listings might be OK for a single smallish resort but in a national category a half dozen may be insufficient content if everyone else has hundreds.

Step 4 - is the site fit for purpose. You may have hundreds of listings but if there is no information on how to book, or the booking page doesn't work, or important information relevant to someone wanting to book is missing then it may be rejected as worthless to DMOZ users. So make sure everything important works.

Good luck! :)

brizzie, Apr 4, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  3. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Each category has a description, so read the description of the category to see if your site belongs there, or to see if there are extra guidelines in order for your site to be listed there.

Enigma, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  4. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    besides submitting to it? *barump bump bump*

lorien1973, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of renting a turkey. Are these live? or roasted? :confused:

minstrel, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  6. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bird Flu? :eek:

EveryQuery, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
  8. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers: