1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone with experience know about Xenu and its uses

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by NewComputer, Nov 8, 2004.

This little program has been showing up in my logs and just wondering if there is any 'good' purpose why someone would use this program on someones site.

NewComputer, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you use it on your own site and some page has a link to you it will follow it to see it exists and crawl its title.

I guess if it crawled all your pages it might be used by some competitor to 'analyze' your site. Not sure how valuable this would be with Xenu. Perhaps to get an accurate page count and have a look at all your titles.

T0PS3O, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, could be, I just wasnt sure. It looks good as far as finding broken links etc... within my own site, but as for why someone would use it 3 days in a row I have no idea.

PS: It also does not adhere to the robots.txt file either.

NewComputer, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  4. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Hi,

It is a nice tool if you want to search for broken links. On some websites I have blocked all outside use of Xenu, due to lots of wasted bandwidth.

Sorvoja, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  5. Dji-man

Dji-man Peon

Best Answers:
    it's probably someone who forgot to turn off the "check external URLs" function and/or who set the crawling "maximum level" too high.

Dji-man, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  6. daGrey

daGrey Peon

Best Answers:
    good call Dji-man ... it's of good use to look for broken links, but sorvoja is right .. it uses a lot of wasted bandwith ..
    I won't worry about it so, because if someone wants to get info about your site .. as of SEO reasons as well as of cracking maybe .. they'll use something else but for sure not Xenu .. that means if they know their trade .. and if they don't u won't to have to worry either :D

just my 2c

greetings from Bangkok

Wolf

daGrey, Nov 9, 2004 IP