1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone wiped out a site?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Patient, Jan 26, 2005.

1. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I'm still dead too. No referals, no bot for last 2 weeks almost. Not even a 1 page visit. Which is strange because I'm still running ads. Before all this started I use to get 40 to 50 bot visits a day. Mostly from Coop ads on other sites. What scares me dow is my MSN SERPS and starting to drop also with no changes. Hope it isn't related.

lowrider14044, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  2. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Well my msn local sucks big time , on msn.com im still first but that doesnt create any new visitors for me. If this happens to me , im sure it will hurt others as well. I get links from authorities sites as well not just from the co-op.

crazyhorse, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  3. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Prior to Coop Gbot visited about 20 times a week from natural links. Since I've been toasted in G I get no bot visits at all. MSN not and Yahoo bots have been pretty active. Wish I knew what caused the recent drop in msn.com? Yahoo still holding OK.

lowrider14044, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  4. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    What I find most confusing is the apparent randomness of it all. It seems that the ‘bad neighborhood’ theory is the most common suspect among those who have been hit hard. Yet if this were true, one would expect all co-op sites to be penalized, at least as quickly as the algo gets around to running stats on them.

But this is not at all what is happening. Instead, some sites seem to enjoy increased visibility while others are being de-indexed. De-indexing is an extremely severe penalty, just barely above an outright ban. How can the co-op alone be responsible for such a sever penalty?

It seems possible that G has developed a profile for sites that it wishes to target. If a site (or page) does not fit the profile and displays co-op ads, that’s fine. But if a site does fit the profile, and it now begins to display co-op ads it’s toast.

Let’s say that this profile targets sites that are either selling PR, or trying to build their own PR by spawning dozens (or hundreds) of pages a day, all of which pump their PR back home, only. (This is just one example of a possible target profile.)

If the ‘clean’ site joins the network, G might reason “this site’s motive is to simply increase traffic because there is no evidence to the contrary”. On the other hand, if the suspected PR manipulating site joins the network, G might reason “this guy is up to no good and joined only to advance his PR scheme. He’s dead meat.”

I guess this is analogous to being on the suspect list where just one more move, might make you a criminal.

If we could develop some profiles that G might be targeting, some common factors might arise.

longcall911, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  5. glengara

glengara Guest

Best Answers:
    That's exactly how I think G is operating LC911, any one "links scheme" will get the benefit of the doubt, having more than one in play removes the doubt.

glengara, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    yeah I'm sure they programed something like that in

if(linkscheme.count > 2)
    {

this,deindex

}

ferret77, Feb 6, 2005 IP
    iggysick likes this.
  7. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    That sounds reasonable ...but...Other then the Coop the only links I have are recip or natural links from other websites and my internal links. No link farms, no other networks. Nothing like that. So the quest for an answer continues. At least for me.

lowrider14044, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  8. MagicBeanDip

MagicBeanDip Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site displaying ads that currently has 297 pages indexed in google api. It is a relatively new blog with an Amazon book store. I was dropped from the Google serps today.

I point about 15% of my network ads to a second site that doesn't display ads. This site jumped from #319 yesterday to #1 today for one keyword and from non-existant to #53 for a second keyword.

It's possible that Google changed their definition of a "bad site" and that once all the "bad sites" have been purged from the ad network, by being de-indexed in Google, the ad network will start to function normally again.

MagicBeanDip, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  9. StacyO

StacyO Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to give everyone more data for the equation, my site on the co-op network has only continued to do well. I have a weight of about 50K+, pr 4, and 5 ads sitewide. I show 8110 bl from G (much more from the other engines), and haven't lost any pages indexed. My rankings are steady, and only fluxuate slightly each day (as I would expect).

I did notice last week that across the various G dataservers that my bls have two different numbers, but so far it hasn't affected serps or pr.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but wanted to show that its not getting all the co-op members.

StacyO

StacyO, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  10. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Hi Stacy

Thanks for your input. It is good to see that coop sites are still flourishing - doubtless whatever has hit us is likely a combination of factors.

May I ask three questions:
    a) How many ads do you run?
    b) Do you advertise the site that runs the ads?
    c) How long have you been in the coop?

Regards

Patient, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  11. steveinid

steveinid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Has anyone taken into account which category they selected when running the ads? When you put submit an ad you have to choose a "theme" from the drop down menu. Could some of the themes be "bad neighborhoods"?

steveinid, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  12. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    My results are thankfully similar to StacyO's. However, I chickened out last a week ago Thurs. and took the ads off of my site. My weight targets there from other sites, but it doesn't show any ads. My site is #1 or #2 everywhere for my most competitive key word.

One thing I've noticed, and I would like for you all to correct me if I'm wrong, but Google LOVES the dynamic nature of php sites. I have yet to see one that hasn't been continually updated in the last day or two - doesn't matter what theme. I've noticed the StacyO's is as well as mine. Google is at my site deep crawling constantly. Even during this update, it has been at my site crawling 6000 hits every single day.

kepa, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  13. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I have 15 accounts in the co op. Today I have decided to remove 1 account (My heaviest 70k). This particular site has benefited the most with SERP's.

I have just now started to see some deindexing of some pages. It could just be a natural algo...not sure.

I am going to leave the 14 others on the network and keep an eye on it.

Does anybody know how I would transfer the referal weight from 1 account to another.

Homer, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  14. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to say my site is still dead in the serps (and to a PR2 in G directory from a PR6)

I have one little gbot running around my forum at the moment and had one last week

I've deleted all links on my forum and my links page is cool

I have no x links with my other sites

:confused:

leeds1, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  15. StacyO

StacyO Peon

Best Answers:
    a. 5 ads per page
    b. same site for ads
    c. started in Oct/Nov 2004

I'm still experimenting with the number of keyword ads that point to me, and am finding I do better when I dilute incoming bls a bit. (just a side note)

Hope this helps,
    StacyO

StacyO, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  16. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Just to show and confirm once again that everything's fine for some (me):

PS Had to rotate because of attachment limitations... You get he gist though, 1-30 from 100+ - n/a.

Forgot to mention, these are the words specifically targeted with co-op ads. The rest growing as well.

Attached Files:

T0PS3O, Feb 7, 2005 IP