1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone wiped out a site?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Patient, Jan 26, 2005.

1. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Another question.

When you say your site was 'dropped' or 'de-indexed'...

Did:

a) Your site: command results vanish/turn link only
    b) Your rankings disappeared
    c) both.

I see many sites where al site: results are gone but rankings are fine or even better (continuing to become better). (Most are shopping related hence me asking about Froogle since I think G wants to seperate search/results for these two completely.)

I think the majority of us experience a). A few b) but only a few c) right?

If so, it might just be Google not showing the real index anymore with the site: command.

T0PS3O, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  2. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    site: command shows:

1 and 2 of 60,000 results

shows 2 links

click here to show more results link after

If you do that most show just the link but the odd few have text

No serps

leeds1, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  3. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    TOPS30, no, not related to Frugal. None of my 3 co-op participating sites are listed nor attempted to list.

Yes, my business model was forced to change a lonnnnnnnng time ago when I learned what a "sandbox" was. So, no, not dependent in any way on google as a BV plan for succes.

I am however, dependent upon traffic....lol.... at present, that would just be MSN and Yahoo as it has been since site creation. By losing weight in the co-op as of today, it will most likely cost 30% of my traffic. I may be able to recover the necessary remaining back links to avoid losing this all together.

As I've said myself, again, not worried about G in general other than how weight is factored. Where I personally am concerned, Google can ...well fly a kite to put it nice. This is just a huge distraction from some additional projects I was hoping to start as my sites had basically achieved target goals and I could add the remaining b/l as requests were made.

Sigh......let me have another smoke... is it 5 o'clock yet? That drink time...lol

Cheers

gchaney, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  4. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Don't know if this is relevent or not but but it's interesting. After doing a site: search and coming up with what's left of my site in Google I decided to click on the "similar pages" link. What is interestring is that out of the 30 results that came up about 2/3 of the sites were Coop sites. And there is no way any of them are similar to mine other then association with the Coop. I may be wrong but this would definitly lead me to believe that the Coop has to have something to do with the problems I/we're experiencing. Has anyone else checked this and seeing the same thing I am? Just curious.

lowrider14044, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  5. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is standard because the site links to you (or they link to a site that links to you)

leeds1, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  6. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I'll take your word for it Leeds but it seems strange. According to Google it's supposed to return results with similar content. Which it doesn't. Just checked something else. Checked my BL's and it's showing 855 with quite a few with just links and no descriptions. I'd be willing to bet that most are Coop sites. :)

7. glengara

glengara Guest

Best Answers:
    Lou, similar sites results are mostly based on linkage, obviously G originally assumed most linking would be relevant, as in Academia...;-)

glengara, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  8. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Obviously Google assumed wrong. Well I'm a stuborn old coot so I'm gonign to keep trying to figure out why Google is pissed at my site as well as the others. Hopefully someone will be able to figure it out so we can correct it short of abandoing our sites and manes and starting anew. Or at least with a new site specifically for Google.

9. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    RE: FROOGLE

Last Thursday, I tried to upload my products to compensate for the rapid delisting of my product pages with no luck. I tried to log in to my account that I set up not this last August but the prior August, and I can't login. When trying to sign in (even though my email gives my my email and password), it just keeps popping me back to the login page...sigh...I tried setting up a new account and emailing them of this problem (thinking that they could reactivate) and they still have not validated my account.

In the olden days, I would be seeing my product listed by now...now I can't even sign in!

kepa, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  10. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    So have your sites been affected in the same way as everyone elses?

Are your feeds taken from the same site as has been banned/penalised/whatever?

Sorry for all the questions, and I doubt it's actually related, but It would be bloody interesting if it was.

SEbasic, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  11. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    How about someone who has already wiped out, pointing their weight to competitor who ranks well on MSN & Y! but not very well on G, to see if the co-op has an effect.

Also, is cross-linking between domains possibly a common factor?

It seems that most in the co-op own a large number of domains and would therefore be inclined to cross-link. It wouldn’t be too tough for G to track DNS registrants and penalize for cross-linking, when other signs such as white-hat SEO are present as well.

I’m not in the co-op and my situation is not as severe, but I have fallen from mid-30’s to mid-70’s since Dec 17. I cross-link and have gained lots of IBLs. My site is SEOed. I also have a fair number of SEO related forum sigs. So for me, it is one or more of those factors.

What I do know in my many years of problem solving and trouble shooting is that a problem as tough as this almost always has multiple factors at its root. A single trouble normally results in a fairly straight-forward problem. And to solve a complex problem, you have to clear one trouble at a time.

longcall911, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  12. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    They are being de-indexed as we speak and Gbot 2.1 has been at my site for the last 4 days and spidered 4071 times today. Can't make any conclusions yet, but my product pages are buried deep and many results don't have titles and/or descriptions but do have funky %%%20 urls. These product listings were consistently in the top 3.

Yes, it is the same site.

I haven't dropped in ranking for my key phrases, and my phrases that I use in the co-op are the same or rising. I even moved from #2 to #1, but the post about the "5hit rising to the top" and then being dropped scares me. This coupled with the rapid de-indexing of my product pages tells me something is up.

kepa, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  13. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Right... I think everyone participating in this thread needs to take that into account.

The reason our sites are suffering will be as a result of a number of algo tweaks, resulting in...
    Well, this...

I'd still like to hear some more opinions on this... I have my suspisions, but most of my sites seem to have been hit by a number of things this month (302, dup content, bad seo), so it's difficult to say what the actual reasons could be, based on my sites alone...

Some are still fine, yeat have been involved in the coop, which is why I'm hesitant to say that's the reason...

SEbasic, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  14. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does any sites in pure html wiped out ? ( or de-indexed, lowered rankings, whatever)

I'm curious to know. I have been running testing on one site for long, and for the keywords I'm still on top. But curious to know what will be next.

Tuning, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  15. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't wiped out a site. I'm in the coop, however I only have one site but optimize pages underneath that site for testing purposes (no real SEO clients, just a hobby of mine). I don't typically sign up for directories (except DMOZ, even though the premise may be somewhat flawed, it still holds some weight IMO), I don't email and ask for links (I find it to be rude/spammy). My main form of IBL is the Co-op, and I do fairly well with it.

Infiniterb, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  16. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been losing some pages (htm). Soley dup content pages. I would like to add I have an html site with no coop links that was dropped by Google index then came back up for two days and was dropped again today. I really think everyone is just being paranoid. If we were on a boat I think most of you guys would have jumped ship. ;)

kyle422, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  17. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, no cross linking. I have one hard link from two sites pointing to one. The sites are on different IP blocks with different hosting anyway. Site is in shtml. The content on all three sites is unique. The only issue could be the 302 for one which is high profile site so naturally becomes a prime candidate for copy theft and this type of redirect.

Aside from that, if it is the 302 redirects in place by third party sites, google really sucks and outside my control.

Bad SEO? Not likely unless you consider probably under optimized.

I guess it Could be, but I don't do anything spammy. I write lots of unique content - text heavy pages, optimize with low density - about 3% on average - use very few kw's in alt, unique descriptions and titles for each page, kw only listed that are on the page. Closes thing to spammy is exchange links and haven't done that with two my sites being de-indexed in 4 months.

My sites actually never rose to the top....lol They are sandboxed and have been forever. Two do not have sufficient back links to rank well for any major term in Google. One does, but is repressed.

Cheers

gchaney, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  18. Thewormman

Thewormman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I think the death of the coop as far as I am concerned has arrived.

Not only have I had the deindexing I posted earlier on one site but now I have another site that has been rock steady in the SERPS for ages that is dropping.

This site has had pretty much the same amount of pages indexed for a year or so. I added the coop links to it about a month ago. As of today the pages returned by the API have dropped about 25%.

No other link building has been carried out although I have added about 30 pages. This site was used to generate weight, it has no links from the coop pointing to it.

I have removed the coop links on this site and I will see if the downward trend continues, stops or recovers.

Lots of pages on the normal site search are now showing as supplemental

Oh Crap

Thewormman, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  19. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Peon

Best Answers:
    Not having a dig mate, just that this IS what most people in this thread have in common. Talk about duplicate / crap content - fair enough but it does look like a large number of co-op sites are being struck down and I just don't think that's what to blame here...

Google have said that linking to 'bad neighbourhoods' can hurt your site.. As none of us have any control where we're linking out to AND it's a different set of links each time you load a page... It might be bad luck that when G spidered my site last time it got the worst end of the co-op ads - outbound linkage to some less than salubrious neighbourhoods of the internet! A big red tick then goes against my site (i've now moved to the ghetto!) - then when the next co-op site gets indexed Google gets a link to my site... they get the big red tick... so on and so on...

Ok, ok... just my humble opinion - anyone prove me wrong? ;)

DangerMouse, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  20. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    THis is what my biggest suspision is...

As I previousle mentioned, a number of my sites have also been affected by 302's so that may be the reason too, but for now, bad neighbourhood likes like the obvious option.

SEbasic, Feb 1, 2005 IP