1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone wiped out a site?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Patient, Jan 26, 2005.

Hi fellow coop members

Does anyone have a site they believe has been wiped out possibly for using the coop network? If so would you care to discuss what you believe caused it so that we can work out how to avoid it in the future.

There are of course many reasons why a site would be temporarily disadvantaged in google and its impossible to be absolutely certain of the cause so its all just speculation.

In my case it may be coincidence but I lost a PR5 site to which I simultaneously added the outbound ads (5 per page) and 20 different inbound ads to 20 different pages using a weight of >20k.

This site has been "de-indexed" in G but is performing well in Y and M.

I have not lost a site that is a) a recipient of ads only b) a vehicle for running ads only. I have lost more than 1 site that does both.

Anyone else seen anything similar or am I alone (in which case this is bizarre coincidence and I need to look for a different cause).

Patient, Jan 26, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  2. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe the following were penalised due to the ad network:

# Lilengine.com
    # Digital Points eBay page
    # A members Seraphim Proudleduck page

I may be wrong, but in my opinion its highly likely due to the coop network.

xml, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's my page you are referring to, it's not as a result of the ad network (I don't think).

SEbasic, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  4. THT

THT Peon

Best Answers:
    a shed load of my pages have been wiped out.... and so i see the weight dro and drop!

THT, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Are you saying they were wiped out for using the coop? (unlikely) or due to Google's apparant new strictness for duplicate content? (likely)

yfs1, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  6. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi SEbasic, I was refering to your site. May I ask what makes you think it wasn't a result of the ad network?

I agree Google banning this site for using the ad network on such a keyword as "Seraphim Proudleduck" seems unlikely, unless a Google employee entered the SEO competition :).

xml, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I was Really REALLY stupid...

Basically I tried to save myself some time by doing a search and replace with a bit of Lorem Ipsum
    It was really stupid and 100% my fault...

However...
    Pages are now dropping out of the whole site.
    seo-dev.co.uk has now only got 5 pages indexed according to the API.

The number of crawls on the site have now pretty much evaporated. Instead of getting 70-80 visits a day, I am now getting 10 or so a week.

I'd be amazed if this was all due to the search and replace I did (I took it down within a day), but I expect to get some kind of penalisation for it.

For all I know, it could be due to the Coop network, but I highly doubt it.

SEbasic, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  8. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Can we try and get some data here. On the sites I have lost the following apply:

Changes Made:
    The sites have the network added simultaneously so that they are both running ads (5) and receiving ads with weight 20k+.

Symptoms:
    Gbot visits drop from 60k+ per month to NIL & pages deindexed by G - then gradually start receiving gbot visits average <100 per day and these pages are indexed - gbot visiting the home page occassionally but not indexing/caching.

The only other site I am aware of is Shawns ebay site - as far as I can see his blog is now deindexed but only he could confirm what gbot traffic he is getting.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

<edit>Just looked at lilengine.com and on the surface it appears to be displaying similar symptoms - does lilengine post here?</edit>

Patient, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  9. jonny_b

jonny_b Peon

Best Answers:
    I can confirm big G taking an interest in sites doing *too well* for popular terms....it doesn’t really help the network by listing sites and people listing their ad.txt file for G to happily penalise...

Happy to discuss with anyone in private,

Cheers,

Jonny Bravo

jonny_b, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  10. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    I don't believe this is anything other than an automated algorithm doing its job (that is, if its due to the coop) and applies equally to non-competitive terms. Practically all my kwp's are at best barely medium popularity

Patient, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  11. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I'm "smallfry" in the co-op (having about 3K weight) but have noticed Google indexing my 3 sites less than it did at the turn of the year, for *whatever* reason. The 3 sites are indexed in Google but just not as regularly as about 3/4 weeks ago. I've added new and fresh content, all totally original and Google is not picking up the new pages even though they're in the sitemap and from the homepage in some cases.

I'm *not* saying this is because of the co-op, but I've removed one site from the co-op just to see if Google picks up on it again...

I have no clear opinion either way so will see if anything changes...

Lever, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  12. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    If you haven't seen a drastic reduction in the gbot crawl my guess is that you're safe.

I am talking about a drop from 1000's of visits per day to zero.

Patient, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  13. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Even so, I shall be keeping my eye on this to see if there's any effect. :)

No, none of my sites have been 'wiped out', no, no drop from 1000s to Zero, but yes googlebot is not indexing my 3 little co-op sites as thoroughly as it did before, which is strange but I'm patient enough to wait and see what the reason is...

Lever, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  14. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    You're not alone.

Site lifes-essentials-directory.com was dropped / banned at Google suddenly
    showed gray bar until I started to complain and pester them.
    Now white 0

This was (well is) a test and may have been a bit to aggressive and successful so probably triggered bells at G. It grew to this within 4 weeks although the domain was out there for about 12 month.

It is a directory (with a twist) about 1400 entries at present shows 100 pages on Y and 1300 links and was showing 100+ pages and 300 backlinks on G before being pulled. Reduced growth to about 10 a day now.
    Showed 6 ads from two networks which helped to support very fast growth.

The same technique is used on another of my sites which already had about 1000 pages indexed and has gone unnoticed so far, pumping the site up by 100 pages (one week) doubling backlink count without any trigger at G.

But as G is now dwarfed by Y & M on the ecom sites I make money from I now completely ignore G.
    (I'd rather have 1000 from Y + M with 3.5% than 2.500 from G with 1.9%)

Conclusion: To keep in G manage growth on pages and links carefully.
    To aggressive and you're history.

Expat

expat, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  15. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Hi Expat

What I am really keen to find out is whether (assuming coop caused this) this is only triggered by sites that both give and receive ads.

i.e. is it possible to wipe out a site by simply receiving too many links? (I have always assumed this is not possible).

Sounds like you were both giving and receiving on the same site and show the classic symptoms I am referring to i.e. added the coop to an existing site that has been around a while - immediate and effective improvement in SERPS - followed by a drastic downturn in gbot visits with consequent loss of indexed pages. In your case though it seems to have taken your PR with it.

Patient, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  16. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    there was a massive dupl content penalisation/ issue around 25th Dec

this coincided with the 302 issue as well

my site DID have outbound and invound coop links and has disappeared

still PR6 though :confused:

about 2 google referrals per day (was 3000)

minimal gbot activity

no home page text

site doesnt pop up for my domain name nor any unique text

so basically I am banned - coop - who knows

leeds1, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly the same as most of us...

I wish I knew why...

There is no black hat going on on my domain...

All original content...

I don't understand why it's all gone...

SEbasic, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  18. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    the only other change I made (apart from more text on the hp) was to remove site wide inbound links to my site (from 4 other sites)

gbot has been on my forum all yesterday and some of today - but only one bot when pre-update bot activity used to be about 30 (and has been 200!)

long live yahoo and msn

leeds1, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  19. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    My site moved up to #1 of about 1,460,000 results, I'm sure partly due to the co-op, should I be worried?

kepa, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  20. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    I have had two sites really affected by the coop - ads were showing and I was pointing weight at these sites. Googlebot wasn't visting for awhile and pages were getting quickly deindexed and google rankings dropped like a rock. I still have PR which is the wierd thing of all of this.

I am going to wait it out since Y & MSN is still providing good traffic. Also, googlebot has started to crawl my site but not in the usual fashion it used to.

Added:
    My theory - yes only a theory - is that I may have been linking to a "bad neighborhood" as defined by google. But don't know for sure. Googleguy did mention that he did notice some bad apples before we had reviewers on board.

It might make sense somehow to review all ads prior to when we had reviewers. Or all ads to be re-approved weekly, bi-weekly - whatever makes sense - maybe on a random basis.

a389951l, Jan 26, 2005 IP