1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

anyone want to help with a coop ad network project?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by disgust, Sep 16, 2004.

I had an idea for something (I can't imagine Shawn would object to this, but if he does I guess I can nix the project), but it'd be nice if I had a little bit of help.

the basic idea is this: if you haven't noticed, the installed code copies over one file of links (ad_network_ads.txt), and then selects them randomly from there.

I'm just (re)learning PHP, and I thought this might be an interesting project. I'll try to get a list of ad_network_ads.txt urls, and then sort them by the number of times each link displays. I may also add an "estimated weight" bit- not sure about that yet though.

there are two reasons I need help with this

1) I don't know how keen people would be on me automatically grabbing this file every so often (daily, probably). I don't really want to tick anyone off- so at least at first, I'd prefer to get the links from willing volunteers

2) the only way I would have to find other sites ad_network_ads.txt would be to "back track" in the ad network, and the problem is a lot of sites that are being advertisted through the network may be recieving their weight from another site..

if you'd rather PM me the url I can keep it private (I've got a few affiliate sites I wouldn't want to make public, and that sort of thing)

and if you've got any comments on the project let me know :) no promises on when it'll be done though

http://forums.ffshrine.org/ad_network_ads.txt <-- example of what the url would look like :)

disgust, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  2. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm missing the point of the project? Maybe you can explain to me better what the end result is all about. I'm having a dense moment.

dazzlindonna, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    you could see, relative to other sites in the network, how often your ads show up :)

disgust, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well if you are doing it as something as a programming exercise, then that's cool. But if you just want to know what the total weight of the entire network is, I'll tell you that, and you could calculate the odds of your ad showing up based on your weight.

digitalpoint, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm also interested in where other sites fall- although I guess I could probably get a hunch on which ones are popular just by viewing a few of the files. the main output would basically be a listing of every ad that showed up, ordered by the frequency it appears

disgust, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  6. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

Could you let us know the total current weight of the network since you mentioned it? :D

Thanks...

a389951l, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As of right now it's 1,039,840 (of course it goes up daily as more sites join).

8. a389951l

Best Answers:
    Wow... It is pretty depressing for a smaller site to see a number like that. But I suppose all the more reason to refer more people to the network.

One quick question on referrals. If someone uses my link to get to dp, but for whatever reason they sign up for keywork tracker and then click on your referral link to sign up for the ad network, do I still get the bonus? I am assuming not.

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They would still get credit.

10. a389951l

Best Answers:
    Cool! Thanks...