1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone wanna check out my new and improved business-site?`

Discussion in 'Websites' started by PoPSiCLe, Jun 5, 2015.

I redid (well, it's not 100% ready yet) my site, and was wondering if anyone want to offer some critique.

I'm looking for any relevant critique - color-choices, design, does it work on whatever device you're using etc. etc.

New site: www.bergenpchjelp.no/new_site/
    Old site: www.bergenpchjelp.no

There are some items missing (especially the footer), what I'm mostly interested in is does it work on mobile, etc. The contact form is not working at the moment, due to the handling script not being updated to cover the new form.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  2. Wasi88

Wasi88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very clean and simply structured. Maybe a little bit too clean and simple..?
    Here are 4 issues (I was able to detect by having a quick look at it) on how you could improve your design.

1. Your menu is always expanded on mobile devices. That takes a lot of space above the content.
    I would use an expandable one-liner or even just a button instead.

2. The minimal possible width of the header and/or navigation (due to text width and left-to-right display) leads to a content cut on the right if the screen width is within 361 and 500 pixels. There may be other causes for it within that range, so I would just use the 'mobile' styles for anything below 501px in your case.

3. As the Google Speed Insights Test is suggesting: you should eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content. One way to solve this is loading the external scripts and css files on the bottom of the HTML document by JS on a new user session (with additional minimal inline css and js to avoid display and script rendering time delays). For all further requests you can use the common approach you've already set in place. This really helps having a better mobile experience in terms of the speed within the first load what usually just takes too long. We have done this within our Geekweb site. Check it out if you want to take a look at an implementation.

4. In relation to the colors: I would use the used blue (#3399ff) for the links as-well.

Hope that helps so far. I wish you all the best with your new site/design.

Wasi88, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know - it will probably be changed, currently it was just the simplest way to get a working layout without too much work on sizing and such. I'm thinking I'll have a "menu"-button for the menu.

Ah, small oversight on my part. I'll get that fixed.

I'm not really sure this will affect anything - the current CSS-stylesheet is 1,2kb - it'll probably not expand to much more than 2-3 kb at most. There isn't any javascript at the moment, so I'm not sure I'll need to do anything about that - I'm guessing the Speed Insights test might be testing the old page...

That was actually how it was meant to be - just a CSS-file that hasn't been updated.

Thanks for the feedback!

PoPSiCLe, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  4. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    All about testing and finding whats converting for you and your traffic. Sometimes you need and or could test by creating individual landing pages for your traffic sources and optimize them.

EPol83, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Hardly needed - this is basically just a webpage showing what we offer, and allowing users to come in contact with us - find our phonenumber, map to our location, or a contact form. I have a very good presence on Google, and my company name includes both the city's name and the Norwegian word for "help" - mainly, I get most every hit when someone searches for help with computer problems near my city. I'm just looking to have an easier to manage site, which is working just as well on mobile / tablet as on a computer (since I get a lot of customers using phones to search for help). No real need for differentiating landing pages - I could get by just having a single page with a contact form on it, but I've chosen to have a few subpages detailing different aspects, and also a "helpful tips" page (which I'm considering shutting down, as I don't really have time to update it properly).

PoPSiCLe, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You may want to wrap the text around the photo here: http://www.bergenpchjelp.no/new_site/about (More for the looks than anything, of course).

The text's line-height throughout the site should be increased. It looks clumped together.

Nobody really (unless the site is in Hebrew or Arabic) expects the titles to be on the right-hand side. Is there a reason why it's aligned to the right?

Also, why the unexpected margin on the left for the services / prices: http://www.bergenpchjelp.no/new_site/prisliste ?

Overall, looks great on any mobile device. On a computer it looks kind of unfinished or too simple, as it has already been mentioned.

qwikad.com, Jun 10, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Fixed the wrapping, tried changing to left-aligned text on headings, redid line-height - not sure I want any more air than is there now. The unexpected margin on left for the pricelist was due to a change in reset-method in the CSS - it's been fixed.

Also changed some paddings and margins on pricelist and in general. I need to redo the content (articles and such) before changing over (some should be pruned, some should be updated).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    PoPSiCLe, Jun 10, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:

Warning: file(/home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/new_site/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 261

Warning: file(/home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/new_site/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 262

Notice: Undefined index: dbhost in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 60

Notice: Undefined index: dbname in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 60

Notice: Undefined index: dbport in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 60

Notice: Undefined index: dbusername in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 60

Notice: Undefined index: dbpassword in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 60

Fatal error: Call to a member function prepare() on a non-object in /home/3/b/bergenpchjelp/www/coreclass.php on line 84

Code (markup):

Nite, Jul 12, 2015 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think www.bergenpchjelp.no/new_site/ was just a test version. The new site is this one: www.bergenpchjelp.no

qwikad.com, Jul 12, 2015 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Yeah... The new site is up and running on the main domain, so only the new page is running now, and yes, I haven't edited the links... sorry about that

PoPSiCLe, Jul 13, 2015 IP