1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone used Text Link Brokers?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005.

1. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't have though it would have the effect on Yahoo & MSN as is possible on Google; after all, Yahoo have been selling links for years.

egdcltd, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  2. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Yahoo! buys links to boost their site. I've seen their text links. Having said that, Yahoo!'s search engine likes one-way links. Go and submit to indexable directories and you'll start to see your site rank for your keywords.

As for link selling...I have several sites across various niches I sell text link ads on and they rank great in Yahoo!...if that's what your asking.

Voasi, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? Can you show us a page where Yahoo has link (not an Adwords ad or something similiar - a crawable link that will help with link pop) that they paid for?

GuyFromChicago, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  4. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com

Voasi, Oct 11, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you see any link to Yahoo there? let alone a paid link?

minstrel, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
  7. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    You'd think that if they were going to give out authority links on a site about HTML, they'd consider linking to another page within Yahoo!'s network about web design (or something of that nature), keeping their outbound authority link relevent, since they're already handy out a lot of outbound links that are not relevant.

Besides, that site hands out outbound links all the time. It's a good resource. It's an authority and they should link out, as most authority sites do. Why would they give out authority links in the paid section?

I didn't talk to Yahoo or anyone else about these text links, but I wouldn't doubt they're bought. But hey...I could be wrong. ;)

Also - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=2005+new+cars

Voasi, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    To make the paid links appear more natural, or, to give the appearance that larger companies are "on board with it" so it must be a safe/great thing to do. Same theory behind why I think a lot of directories seed their database with authority type links.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Unless someone from Yahoo comes right and admits it there's no way to verify it. The publisher won't, under most circumstances, discuss transactions with clients...if that's what Yahoo is in this case.

Good find though. I've seen the internet.commerce ads 100 times and never noticed the Yahoo ones.

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I still don't see any Yahoo ads. I see internet.com, earthweb, devx, and graphisc.com -- where is Yahoo there?

And why would Yahoo need to buy ads from JupiterWeb? :confused:

minstrel, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo's been buying text ads on a lot of sites for their shopping thing that they are trying to promote. I've seen them on lots of sites. sitewides, in the classic "text link - no traffic" sense too. I found it very weird.

lorien1973, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    How do you know they are buying them?

Looks like they may rotate a bit. Here's the ad block in the order I'm seeing them right now. I've bolded the two that are for Yahoo.

Web Programming
    Car Donations
    Health Insurance
    Managed Hosting
    Prepaid Calling Card
    Online Booking Hotels
    2005 New Cars (autos.yahoo.com)
    Information
    Car Insurance
    Online Degrees
    Cheap Airline Tickets (travel.yahoo.com)
    Best Digital Camera
    Giveaways

GuyFromChicago, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  12. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Seeing as how the ads cost like $200-$300/month (based on emails i've had with the same sites) using keywords that link to internal pages of yahoo's shopping site, I'd say its a good guess. Dunno why anyone else would fork out the money for yahoo's sake - they have plenty.

lorien1973, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Maybe they need to get rid of some cash as a tax break...

minstrel, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    You think maybe internet.commerce is seeding their paid list with "authority site" links? I would just be surprised to see a company the size of Yahoo buying links that are obvioulsy being bought to manipulate the serps. I would assume they get thousands of natural links without paying a cent.

Maybe Google should slap a ban on those Yahoo domains like they did to site sift for buying orielly text link ads....

15. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    They could possibly do that. But we all know that a link from a good authority site (even for yahoo) is a lot better than 50 or 100 links from someone's crappy personal webpage. Right? I have been getting some odd link requests from big name companies these days for buying links, so I think its highly probable that yahoo is buying links as well.

Why wouldn't they? They might even get a little traffic from it.

But - I also think that if the site would link to yahoo as an "authority site" they would not do it with text like "Digital cameras" that link to their digital camera section in shopping. They'd more likely link to the homepage. A deep sitewide internal link is much more indicative of a purchased link, rather than a freebie.

Well, if 90% of the inbounds come from authority sites, it probably should. But, as you said, Yahoo gets millions of home page, crap/junk links all the time, so the purchase of a few "authority" links would probably not be noticed by any sort of algorithm.

lorien1973, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's my reaction too, GFC. Yahoo is bigger than Jupiter - why would they need to worry about links from a PR8 site?

minstrel, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Started a new thread to discuss. This one's wandered a bit off topic:)

18. mjamesb

mjamesb Member

Best Answers:
    I have purchased a few permanent links and rented a few links from textlinkbrokers. Honestly I have not been that happy with the quality of the perm links. The renting links is ok because I can choose relevant sites. All in all though I think I will continue alternative link procurement methods. I will most likely be cancelling all my business with them as I have had some support problems and unbeknownst to me I was subscribed to monthly permanent links and billed even though I was give the very distinct impression that it was a one time charge. I don't like jumping through hoops just to have to unsubscribe from something I didn't know I was subscribed to. I haven't spent too much $$ and I just chalk it up as an experiment.

If you are considering buying links from them, especially perm ones, just make sure you know if you are "subscribed" to a monthly charge or not.

Just my two cents.

mjamesb, Dec 6, 2005 IP