1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone tried adlogger to protect against extra clicks?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by cafinater, Jun 21, 2006.

Adlogger is a free open source code that gives more detailed stats info about your adsense pages and who is clicking them. I'm not interested in that info at the moment, but what caught my attention is you can use it to limit the number of clicks an IP can make. Seems a good back up plan to protect against inadvertent or deliberate framed click fraud-anything that could trigger the adsense flags. Has anyone used it or heard anything good or bad? Thanks. It's at http://www.adlogger.org/

cafinater, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  2. DaVe™

DaVe™ Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, it works perfectly.. checkout the forums at their site for all the latest info

DaVe™, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  3. discoverclips

discoverclips Peon

Best Answers:
    I do use it, I have an option where it displays other ads if the user clicked more than 2 times in a 24 hour period.

It's very good, and free :)

discoverclips, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I use it but when I have been under click attack it was still a beta and the cookie only protection wasn't able to do anything, maybe with IP it's better, but I still don't know even after analysing the web log if the attack was from only one IP or a zombies PCs attack or via proxies, I don't know and Google didn't say either but they've sorted out the problem for me.

JamesColin, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  5. ken123

ken123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know Google provides a similar service to adsense users too, Google Analytics. How is it compared to this one?

ken123, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  6. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The stats are alittle delayed, would be nice if it had constantly updating stats.

MediaHustler, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  7. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    the stats of adlogger are not delayed, adsense and analytics are.

Between analytics and adlogger there is a big difference, analytics is just a web tracking tool, a good one. IF you add a piece of code that is not given by Analytics but can be found on digital point forums, then you can create a GOAL in analytics which will show you some of the clicks (less than in adlogger) from which page they were, but adlogger gives you which ad has been clicked and WAY MORE information about the clics.

Adlogger is for adsense, analytics for web tracking, so use both on your site!

JamesColin, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  8. cafinater

cafinater Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses... I assume, then, adlogger is in no way against the TOS of adsense... even the function of disabling multiple clicks...

cafinater, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  9. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Delayed for me.

MediaHustler, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  10. ebliss

ebliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using it on my sites. The good thing is that you can install it on one server and have it monitoring a few servers/domains. The author is very open to suggestions and you see updates pretty frequently.

I have logged 3 clicks at one go by an IP address but sometimes, it can't be avoided if that user right click and open a new page. But if he reloads the page after that, the adsense ads will not be displayed for him anymore. :D

ebliss, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  11. CrosswordHaze

CrosswordHaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, im currently installing this and in the instructions its asking my to make a datebase, how would I go about doing this? Im kinda unsure what it means, I put all the contects of the zip into a folder in my sites folder and CHMODED the 2 files to 666, what next? :)

Sorry im a little bit of a noob hehe

CrosswordHaze, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  12. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can ask the author for a free installation, just email him. Note that you don't need to create a database, you can use one you're already using as adlogger uses table prefixes so it won't mess with your existing tables. But once again if you don't know anything about database you can easily work it out directly with the author of adlogger, rare enough to be mentionned!

JamesColin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  13. ebliss

ebliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    you will need access to your database. That is if your server supports it. Login to your cpanel and from there, create a database account via mysql. You might need to ask your webhosting company if you have database access...

ebliss, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  14. CrosswordHaze

CrosswordHaze Peon

Best Answers:
    ^ Thanks, I have just added a new database, what now? :)

CrosswordHaze, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  15. ebliss

ebliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    there is a pdf file in the zipped download. Unzip it and read it.

The instructions said to upload the contents of the folder "adlogger" to your root server. Then, run www.yoursite.com/adlogger/install/ and follow the instructions from there. There is a place to add the database name and user name.

ebliss, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  16. CrosswordHaze

CrosswordHaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah thanks, I have installed it, but I dont think it works, I set it to advise me of each click I recive and it hasnt done so, also it says there have been 0 clicks for a day+ when on my adsense page it tells me I have recive clicks, any idea what I have dont wrong? :s

CrosswordHaze, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  17. ebliss

ebliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Try opening your page that has adsense page on it with Internet Explorer. Then, RIGHT-CLICK one the the ads. DO NOT left click (that is clicking on your own ads).

Then, go to the adlogger page and check. Did you by the way put the javascript tag just before the end of page?

ebliss, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  18. CrosswordHaze

CrosswordHaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm I didnt put any java script ;; where do I find the scritp? :)

CrosswordHaze, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  19. ebliss

ebliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to your adlogger admin page, then go to the code generator section, click on "Generate" and copy and paste the javascript as per instructions given by that page.

ebliss, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  20. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    Works really great...I've implemented it on my site. The only fundamental problem that I see is it doesn't display ads after X amount of clicks (which you specify)...but, for those of us with ECM advertisements...reduces how much we make, I suppose security and peace of mind is worth that in a trade off however :).

Travis, Jun 23, 2006 IP