1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone out there using Ruby on Rails?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by marty, Mar 9, 2006.

I've been playing around a bit with Ruby on Rails for a couple of days now and it seems pretty cool. Has anyone else given it a spin? Any thoughts about Ruby on Rails?

marty, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  2. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    While I haven't tried it, a work colleague of mine who programs in php is busy learning it and says it's a very nice and powerful language, very easy to learn (although I think his years of programming has helped :p )

I've looked at one or two tutorials and it looks interesting. From what I've seen it's been around for 10 years but has only now started to gain popularity, and gaining it fast.

relixx, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  3. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never trued it, but the onLamp tutorial looked interesting. It looks a little like old xBase syntax.

What looks cool, however, is the strong linkage between the database and the language.

marty, are you trying this out on Windows or *nix?

clancey, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  4. marty

marty Peon

Best Answers:
    clancey -

I read that my web host supports Ruby on Rails and several of my coworkers had some great things to say about it. They specifically said that it handles all of the CRUD part of the development.

My host has my site running on Linux and I am developing my rails on a Windows XP laptop. Supposedly I will be able to develop my Ruby stuff locally and then set up the MySQL DB, upload the rails files, tweak some configuration files and my Ruby app should be working right away.

My idea is to:

1. Set up a public site using PHP to read and render a customized data driven site from a MySQL DB.
    2. Use Ruby on Rails to generate an application to handle all of the admin.

It just seems like PHP is awesome for quickly generating cool sites that can read a DB and Ruby might be the perfect tool for quickly generating the administrative pages with logins for custom DBs.

marty, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm an ASP programmer as far as server side goes, but I am learning PHP and enjoying it very much. I have a deep desire to go into RoR for programming a social network site I have in mind.

edr, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I work in a similar environment. I do most of my development and testing work on WinXP and run my servers on Linux.

When I looked at it, I was thinking along your lines. We have been trying to webify our customer admin. The current system in clunky, lacks search, etc. The RoR demo looked like it might be a good fit and a quick way to start working on the MySql data.

I need to make some time for this.

clancey, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  7. senexom

senexom Guest

Best Answers:
    Tried it, Liked it, but haven't created any full blown apps, just yet. Seems like a time saver for hardcore, no wissywig programmer. But is still very geeky to operate IMHO.

senexom, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  8. n2n

n2n Peon

Best Answers:
    ruby on rails is quick and clean, especially good for rapid prototype development.

n2n, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  9. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am too thinking to adopt Ruby on Rails. I have read some articles on it and what I learned is that Ruby is a very simple, object oriented language. Applications created with Ruby are easy to maintain. Its also a good option if you are making distributed application.

Friends please also post some useful links which you have found related to Ruby. I found following one very helping, give it a try
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-ruby-on-rails

designcode, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  10. trikr.com

trikr.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a ruby on rails developer with 1+ years experience on it. I high recommend you all to have a try for ror, and it deserve your time. :p :p :p

trikr.com, Apr 29, 2007 IP