1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone noticing good Yahoo serps?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by fryman, Apr 2, 2005.

Since 2 or 3 days ago I have noticed that my keywords are jumping up big spots at Yahoo, while slowly dropping down at MSN. Very weird, has anyone noticed something similar?

fryman, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  2. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've noticed this exactly, and have even sent you a pm about it ;)
    Losing many msn rankings but gained 200,000+ indexed pages all of which rank high in serps.(in yahoo)

iconrate, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    All my MSN shows red at DP's keyword tracking tool...

So now I'm left in the middle, with all my words ranking in the 50's on both engines... that sucks

fryman, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  4. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. I've held #1 spots on both for my main KWs since the end of December. I'm still #1 on Y! but slipped to #2 the #3 on MSN.

Seems like an algo tweak is possible, but I'm not sure why I'd fall. I haven't done anything except for a few more links and minor content changes.

longcall911, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  5. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Yahoo jumped me up to #1-#3 on most of my keywords, but MSN is still #1 for all of them as well...

thebassman, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  6. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My #1 ranks on Yahoo! and MSN haven't changed in a while :)

jim, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  7. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not happy with the few we have setup on the keyword tracker on either MSN or Yahoo, both have declined in the last couple of days??

I have seen more red (albiet mostly small) then I ever have. bummer. Hope they return to there spots quickly.

debunked, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Problem with Yahoo SERPs, is that even if you are #1 or #2, your listing appears in the bottom half of a page, which is equivalent to a #5 or #6 on google - especially since 1 & 2 are overture, #"3" is a yahoo news standard result (i presume it happens for every search) and the real listings start on the lower part of the front page. If you check out eyetools.com; there is a great eye tracking for google SERPs. Shows that less than 30% of people look below the 3rd listing. Since #1 yahoo places you just about where you'd be on google at #5; the value of the SERP is a lot lower IMHO

Still, on yahoo, it only pays to have one of the top 2 overture listings. the others are next to meaningless.

lorien1973, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  9. nikko952

nikko952 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very interesting and consistent with some in store research we did last week. We are considering an extensive PPC campaign and wanted some customer feed back. In the slower a.m. times, we gave customers a $5 off coupon if they would participate in our research. As a screening criteria we only surveyed customers that had made at least 3-4 on line purchases in the last year. We had them look at both Yahoo and Google SERP's. Now keep in mind that our customers were 100% females, avg age 27, that have made retail purchases on line. We survyed around 50 ustomers, about 12 from each store.

- Not ONE customer actually knew what a "sponsored link" was. Not one single customer differentiated between sponsored links and SERP's. The customers referred to them as the plain white ones and the ones in highlighted colors.

- Customers perceived the "highlighted" sites to be more relevant to their key word searches .... more "important" was the primary response.

- Customers almost always clicked on the highlighted sites at the top of the page first.

- The #1 spot in the SERP's receives at least 2X more clicks than the #2 spot.

- Customers keep going down "the list" until they find a site with adequate selection. Customers only click on the side ads if they can not find what they are looking for in the first 5-6 sites. And they include the highlighted PPC ads in their first 5-6 sites. Customers will search up to 2 pages to find what they are looking for. Or a site with more selections in their key words.

Customers will look at an average of 3 sites even though they find exactly what they are looking for "price checks" and to make sure they have seen all of the options.

NOTE: this sample does not consist of a particularly savy internet customer and would not apply to many of the internet & web service web sites.

Sort of interesting from a management view point ..... how do you allocate your internet budget .... How much do you invest in SEO and how much in optimizing PPC?

nikko952, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  10. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm #1 (for real) without doing any overture stuff for some fairly competitive keywords. Yahoo sent one site 12,964 referrals in March and at least half of them (likely more) must be for one keyword.

jim, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  11. flyguy

flyguy Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my sites has 2 #1s in msn now and many of my key words have moved up in yahoo. Still not as high as I would like, but the msn update gave me a shot in the arm.

Another site lost about 20 on my main key word in msn but gain 68 to #12 on yahoo.

flyguy, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've experienced the same thing on Yahoo and MSN. Yahoo is up, MSN is down. The good news is that about half of my tracked Google rankings have risen significantly, to the top ten again.

mopacfan, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  13. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm #1 in one keyword and #9 in another in Yahoo and... wow! I'm getting a lot of traffic from Yahoo, a lot more from Google, my CTR as tripled and I'm getting a stable number of visitors everyday... If Yahoo! keeps sending me all this traffic I think Adsense will give me a pretty nice b'day present at the end of the month! :D

eduardomaio, Apr 3, 2005 IP