1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone here listed in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Moneyfolk, Oct 18, 2005.

Is anyone here in DMOZ? How long did it take you to get into the directory and did you see a significant change in traffic to your website after it happened?

Moneyfolk, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  2. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the traffic...been listed for years, but I know it does take a long time to be listed, and some do not make it at all. Many submissions are rejected.

mystikmedia, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  3. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    It all depends on your category. I got lucky for one of my sites and got listed within a month.

A "strategy" you may consider using when submitting to DMOZ is (will only work for a few more days) go through and find the categories that your site will fit in. Then click that green circle to view the page ranks of the sites that are listed in that category. If you see some sites with no PR then go for that category since the editor added a site to that category within the last 3 months (I know the site could be PR0 after an update but this isnt exact science and odds are in your favor)

If you view a category that every site in it has a PR then that would basically tell me that submissions take a long time since no new sites were added in 3 months. (new sites being just that NEW)

Like I said this may help your or may not when submitting.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  4. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    Its funny, Ive been reading a lot about DMOZ while I work on my upcoming directory. I really dont care if I get in or not but id be nice. I hope when I submit my site, that I dont go all crazy about it like most people do...

Ernster, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  5. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am in DMOZ, took me about 2 years :D

aspidov, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  6. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    With the caveat that "past performance can not be used to predict future results". The problem is that you have no idea whether those changes were done by a "drive-by" editor who did a bunch of one-off editing in the category, or if the category has an editor who has made it his/her "pet".

In my opinion, the strategy to use would be to definitely find the categories the site would fit BEST in, and submit to that one. Only use the above method if there are two categories who tie for applicability. (Or maybe use archive.org to see how much the site has changed over the past period of time).

The problem with deliberately not submitting to the best category is that yes, the site may get looked at quicker, but then the editor will just move it to the unreviewed pool in the best-fit category, and you will be no better off.

Make sense?

Alucard, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  7. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Of course you always want to submit to the most relevant category. But if I took 20 people and asked them what category xxx.com I am positive there would be numerous categories listed. Everyone has their own opinion on what category a site should go in, especially with DMOZ since they have tons of them.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree with you, aaron. I just don't want people think they might get in quicker by compromising that and just trying to find an "active" category. They will be disappointed.

Alucard, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have seen some categories getting pretty good traffic and passing it on to the listings as well. Other listings are getting 1-2 hits/week. Same appplies to the length of time you have to wait to get in (if you do): it's really a gamble, but since it's free, why not go for it and try.

Blogmaster, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  10. yl88

yl88 Peon

Best Answers:
    My ArcadeMate.com took about 6 weeks to get listed on dmoz, the traffic doesnt help much, it get around 2-5 clicks daily from dmoz.

yl88, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have about 10 sites in DMOZ and the traffic generated is almost nothing - far less than 1% of total traffic - even for top level categories where my site is ranked at the very the top.

DMOZ helps because google gives it at least some relevance, but you also pick up backlinks because of all the DMOZ clones. I'll bet a good portion of the meager traffic is from webmasters looking for sites to get links from.

All you can do is submit your site and hope you get in. The listing process is even slower since adsense was started. My guess is submissions are way up.

mjewel, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, mjewel.

I can't recall ever seeing any traffic from DMOZ in my logs. If it was ever there at all, it would have been so far down in the list that I would have bored myself into a nap before finding it.

I don't know if the DMOZ clones contribute anything any more. If they still do at all, I see that dwindling to zero in the near future.

Interesting point about webmasters trolling for potential link partners...

minstrel, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  13. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got one domain with seven listings on Google that have been added naturally by editors of the course of a couple of years. Of my ~50 other sites, only 4 have been accepted into DMOZ and the approval times have ranged from one week to over a year.

As far as HTTP referrers go, DMOZ accounts for less than 0.01% of total traffic - but how much those backlinks benefit my sites in G/Y/M and indirectly lead to more traffic I can't be certain.

norfstar, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  14. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I know that my DMOZ listed sites were getting 10X the amount of request for link exchanges than non-listed sites with the same "PR". I was getting hundreds of link exchange requests a week. It got so bad I removed all email addresses and went to a contact form that uses NMS FormMail (which hides the email address from the source code) and then created a unique email address that the auto-spammers wouldn't guess. Having to fill out a form, in full, cut down the link requests by over 90%.

mjewel, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  15. dondor

dondor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The special bonus of getting your website listed in Dmoz is that there are many sites that uses its data - and so multipling your link.
    I have 2 of my sites listed and all the rest are still waiting.... it certainly effect PR, but it does not necceraly bring much useful traffic.

dondor, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  16. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    im in to dmoz.. it took me just three weeks...

boohlick, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  18. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in dmoz, submitted site around 2002 I think and was accepted shortly after. Havn't noticed any traffic from it.

blinxdk, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  19. chelsea

chelsea Peon

Best Answers:
    Got two sites in dmoz, no extra traffic though, but much better picked up by google.

chelsea, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  20. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have several sites listed in DMOZ. It does definitely increase your traffic. But not through DMOZ. Sites listed in DMOZ also appear in the "Goggle Directory" as well as all the other sites that utilize ODP data. It also seems to appear as if PR goes up a notch as well a short while after. Possibl due to the additional links. DMOZ is picky ..best to follow their guidelines carefully...

livingearth, Oct 26, 2005 IP