1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone afraid of loosing there blogger blog?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jasonk1234, Jan 2, 2008.

1. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's why i have my own domain + hosting ....

w3bmaster, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    When I switched over from wordpresss.com, to self hosted...I imported the content, deleted the content off of the wordpress.com blog, put up a link to the new address, and never skipped a beat.
    The new blog got the same PR 4 in the next update, and I picked up a few more related quality links.

So it wasn't that bad to convert.

hmansfield, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  3. Teachmaster_J

Teachmaster_J Peon

Best Answers:
    That is my biggest concern. I am looking into getting into blogging, and want to make money from it. I have thought about whether to do it hosted, or stick with a blogging site.

My biggest concern is that I do not have an extensive enough knowledge of coding to support a hosted blog. I can't afford to spend much money each month, and am concerned that I would not know enough to keep the blog going, or to stop someone trying to take my site down maliciously.

How difficult is it to maintain a blog safely? I understand the advantages you are listing- no TOS, no restrictions on content, or linking. On the other hand it is very easy to make coding mistakes and with your own blogs there is zero support or backup. A single jerk who knows more about coding than you can wreck months of work in a few moments, and without the knowledge and the expensive tools to stop them- too bad, so sad, all that work for nothing.

Also, my day job is labor intensive. How much time does it take to maintain a hosted site. If it is more than three hours a week I am out of the running. As a teacher a frequently work 12 hour days.

That is my greatest concern. Have any of you who are hosted had a problem with this? Is it worth the risk, and the investment. Your set up fee-$, your monthly fee-$$, the software to edit your site and maintain it (most of the free stuff is awfully limited)-$$$, Analytics, lead tracking, RSS, CSS- $$$$.

Teachmaster_J, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I will tell you from experience..If you want to have full control, to do what you want, say what you want, run any programs that you want, and not have to answer to any T.O.S...you NEED to self host.

I am a complete hack when it comes to code..in the beginning, and still today, I am constantly on the forum asking for code help, but I managed to learn a lot as a went along..asking questions, studying other blogs, and websites, and of course making mistakes, but I make it through.

Once you get it where you want it, as far as the design, theme, niche' and get a few posts under your belt, it is pretty smooth sailing.
    The time comes in the SEO. It's labor intensive and a steep learning curve at first, but it is worth learning, and it makes it easier in the long run.

As a teacher, if you have summers off..that is when you should devote a few hours a week into it, so that by the beginning of the next school year, its about making posts, slight design changes and keeping the SEO and marketing up.
    I can honestly say, most of what I learned about blogging...I learned right here on DP, (big ups:)).

As far as cost..the blog in my sig cost me $272 dollars, with 3 domains, registered until 2012, and a dedicated IP address. (I am fortunate to work for a company part time , that gives me free hosting, but hosting is cheap.)

Everything else I continue to learn on my own. Since April 07, I started with a new domain, and no traffic, (and I slacked off for 2 whole months ,Sept, and Oct., while making a few life changes) but I have been holding steady at a PR 4...not great, but not bad..listed in DMOZ, Answers.com, and around 500 U's a day, with about 3500 page views a day.
    I have picked up some great contacts, links, and a lot of others in my niche', which is "clicky" recognize that I am here to stay.
    Record companies send me their stuff, and I am always getting articles and press submitted.
    I have a long way to go, but I am happy with my base.
    It can be done, and it's not terribly hard.

hmansfield, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  5. mamjap2004

mamjap2004 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Taking full control is a much better strategy long-term. I only use blogger or WP.com for a few free blogs to point at my own URLs.

As for losing the backlinks, they are always going to be at risk. You could start building links to your own blog and just be prepared to lose the blogger links if something goes wrong.

Either way, you should definitely be sure to back up everything that's on blogger for future reference.

mamjap2004, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  6. jasonk1234

jasonk1234 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would love to host my own blog but I really know nothing about code and cant afford to pay someone to do it.
    Is there a host out there who has a control panel similiar to blogger in the way that you do not have to know much at all to build your site. I would pretty much just be copying and pasting content from my blogger blog and adding new content.
    If there isn't one as simple maybe you guys could suggest a host for newbies with lots of support?
    Thanks

jasonk1234, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  7. shawnecstacy

shawnecstacy Peon

Best Answers:
    I more worry about my own hosting rather than google blogspot ..
    google is safe .. i have a custom domain for my blogger blog ..

shawnecstacy, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  8. samlocalguy

samlocalguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice discussion.
    I think..................
    Blogger :
    Its free
    SE friendly
    A brand of google
    but can be lost anytime if someone flag, or any another reason. But If you have your own hosting domain, the risk will be same.

If you use blogger it never makes your brand. After all free is free. We should use personal hosting domain for proffessional use.

The biggest benefit of bloggers according to me "Your blog live online after your death too". Means peoples will remember you after your death too(free hosting, upto when google exists) lolz!

I think everyone should have min. one personal blog on blogger. lolz!

samlocalguy, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  9. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    There are a few Wordpress friendly host out there, meaning they specialize in hosting Wordpress blogs..they will help you with instillations and such, but ultimately you will have to take control of your own blog.
    You don't need to know much, or any code, just to apply templates, and post...Wordpress is very user friendly.

You will need to get familiar with you FTP, and many of the wordpress hosts have very user freindly FTP's.
    You are going to have to get into it, if you are serious...it is not that hard.
    If you are not serious, or scared to take the leap, then stay with free hosted blogs.
    We all learned it, and forums like DP will help you.

hmansfield, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  10. jasonk1234

jasonk1234 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well I am now being hosted at hostgator and if I can figure out how to use what I have purchased then I well be well on the right path I think.
    Thanks all for the advice

jasonk1234, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  11. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well I also feel samething that what happen if blogger's blog is closed by Google team. I am not broke any rules and regulation. I think best thing is do follow their rules. My blog is now 1 year old.

Rohit patel, Jan 7, 2008 IP
    Clive likes this.