1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anybody participating in Wall St Occupation?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by kaethy, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Hippies generally have themselves and no one else.

However, here in the State of Wisconsin when we had the crazy Walker protests, many of the people not only had Children, they would bring them with.

Mia, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  2. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gworld gets himself banned about every six months.
    Yes it does! :)

The creators of South Park made a comment about Moore's moves, that Moore "puts images and sound together to create meaning where there was none". Moore learned this lesson on Bowling for Columbine - he got sued big time by multiple sources for all the lies.

Exactly!

Corwin, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  3. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    A lot of them are young and don't yet have families. Some of them are older and don't have to meet the kids after school anymore.

kaethy, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    And few bathe.

Mia, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  5. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    Didn't follow the case closely. Have not studied it. Can't really argue the case because I don't know that much about it. That's why I posted "many people believe" instead of giving an opinion. I do suspect there is more to it than what you are saying though.

kaethy, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  6. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should at least read the Wiki link I provided and acquaint yourself with the case. I've actually read a few other articles on it at the time which talked about the way the case was presented to the Supremes. As a lay person reading it, the Supremes would have been derelict in their duty to not rule in the way they did.

I am curious though. You seem to be a champion of these kids, even taking the time to explain to me what "Corporate Personhood" is, yet you are unfamiliar with the events and the background of the case that brought about the SCOTUS decision. I imagine most of the kids who find themselves clamoring for an end to "Corporate Personhood' don't even know the definition of "Corporate Personhood'as you provided it. For those that do, I doubt very many of them are any better informed on the background of that decision than you are.

How can people be against something when they don't know what that something is? It reminds me of John Stossell collecting signatures for a petition against Dihydrogen monoxide (Water), and everyone gets on board. In this case, 'Corporate Personhood', by your definition, and that of the supreme court, turns out to be the freedom of speech. I guess if they were to say they are against crony capitalism, they might sound too much like Tea Partiers.

Obamanation, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

How can people be against something when they don't know what that something is? It reminds me of John Stossell collecting signatures for a petition against Dihydrogen monoxide (Water), and everyone gets on board.

I remember that.. That was funny as hell.

Mia, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  8. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:

Don't just say it, SHOW IT!!

[video=youtube;7DNdy-gsb7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNdy-gsb7Q[/video]

Hell yeah!!

The Webby, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  9. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    You have to love it. Who says there is no free rent.

10. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'll get to that link when I can, thanks for the reminder, LOL. I do have other responsibilities.
    I've posted a couple of times that it's not just kids in the protest, it's all ages.
    And yes, I am supportive of this protest.
    I don't mind answering a question or two, if presented in a straightforward manner like you did. We ought to have more of that so we can all understand each others point of view better. Kind of what a discussion forum is supposed to be all about, right?
    My understanding of the court decision is slim I admit. It's based on what others have told me, that's why I don't feel competent to defend a position on it. Please don't assume the protesters have less knowledge of this case than I do. My apologies for not being up on everything, the last 2 years of my personal life have taken me away from the political arena. This is my first time back here in a long time.

kaethy, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  11. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Sure, there are some older folks in the protest. If you read CNN, or MSNBC, the older folks are the only photos they'll publish. Prior to the yesterday, when all the unions sent people in, it was pretty much nothing but jobless and clueless kids.

Why would I assume otherwise? Is assuming the opposite any better? Watch a few youtube videos and the knowledge level of the mob gets to be pretty clear.

What cracks me up is that Obama is unable to enforce the immigration laws that protect american jobs and keep our entitlement spending down, yet he has time to raid the legal Marijuana dispensaries in California and Washington, bring the full power of the FBI, EPA, and IRS to bear. I have to wonder if he is being lobbied by the multi-billionaires who operate the Mexican Drug cartels, you know, the people he was selling US guns to?

Does raiding pot dispensaries sound like a norm for a President from the Democratic party? In 2008, Obama took more money from Wall St. than any president in history. If these kids feel Wall St. is ripping them off, doesn't it make more sense to be angry at the people who are allowing it to happen? Instead, the re-election of Obama seems to be a central tenant of their philosophy. Does that make any sense to you at all?

These kids seem pretty pissed off, and they have a right to be. If they want to see real change, they ought to give these types of questions a little thought, come up with the obvious and sensible answer, and vote Obama and his corrupt party out of office in 2012. It would make a lot more sense than marching in the streets, blogging about evil corporate greed on their Apple Ipads, attending events organized by Canadians which have been co-opted by big labor. The protesters in Wisconsin were much better organized, with a clearly spelled out demands for their big government agenda, and look how that turned out. Might as well piss on a forest fire.

12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:

Warming or Cooling? How about NOTA

Blogmaster, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    [video]http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6327017[/video]

The Sacramento Occupiers are looking disorganized, much like the Wall St Occupiers were. They need to get the Unions in there like OccupyWallSt did so they know what to say. Can't have these people saying "End capitalism" like this.

I thought of a more accurate slogan for these guys, than "The other 99%". More accurate to say, "The other 6.9%". I just had a flash forward to the violent, Greece like, protests that are coming as this country tries to get it's fiscal house in order. US Uncut is already planning on crashing the town halls in protest of layoffs of the unionized teachers who are failing our children. At some point, the masses of Ron Paul supporters who are attending the OccupyWallSt event, and their call to end the Department of Education are going to come face to face with these people calling to protect the very same failing organization, and the results will be fireworks.

I'm getting out the popcorn.

Obamanation, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:

The message can really carry itself and I feel as if 99.9% of the population really want the same thing which is to preserve what is good. But too much infiltration is taking place, too much division. What is next? Depends on whether or not there is a spirit of unity and common goals get identified regardless of political ideology.

16. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Wow. That kid is pretty damn smart, though slightly deluded(Do away with currency and debt?)

His point about the "Professionalization" of the resistance was spot on, but without some professionalism, the resistance dies. The original Occupy Wall St protesters only hung out because they were told Radiohead was going to play. Then, the Ron Paul zealots glommed on. Then the pros he mentioned(Unions, Soros, Tides foundation) arrived, and suddenly they got real media attention.

For such a smart guy, I think he needs to re-read his copy of Animal Farm.

17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately the media controls even the biggest radicals or idealists to some degree and maybe that fake kickoff was needed. Not quite sure. But now the movement has taken on a life of its own. Not sure it is about Occupy or Ron anymore, but I see more and more Americans take notice feeling that something is being represented which they are not yet aware of.

18. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    The problem is, you can't get 99% of a population to agree on much of anything, even things that most take for granted (Elvis is dead, the earth is older than 7000 years, etc). 80-90% is your best shot.

The thing is, these guys need a message that they can get 80% behind. Ending capitalism isn't it, even though the guy in the video seems to be a fan. The tea party has done a fairly reasonable job of keeping the message down to a size most can get behind it, though they lose about 36% when they talk about smaller government and fiscal responsibility. About 30% of the population either directly benefits from big government, or see big government as a benefit, despite the fact big government is what makes corporatocracy possible.

We'll see what message congeals out of the OWS movement, but I'm not optimistic. When the message becomes clear, logical, and focused, they will enjoy popular support. As it turns out, the US founding fathers were pretty bright guys. Still waiting for someone to demonstrate a newer, improved, more successful system of government, but i always keep my ears open.

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
    Thomas Paine - (February 9, 1737 – June 8, 1809)
    Author, pamphleteer, radical, inventor, intellectual, revolutionary, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. Corsetmaker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination.​

19. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    10% unemployment (16.6% real unemployment) means 83.4% of Americans still have jobs. People will take note, the party in power will get voted out, but you don't get revolution until those numbers get a lot worse. Its the same reason a third of American's don't want the government unions touched. They are direct beneficiaries of the current system.

20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    The problem is not capitalism as capitalism simulates human nature. What world would we live in without incentives? That is where Moore and others' infiltration work bears poisonous fruit. The problem is government disguising private corporations as government arms when they are not and the Federal Reserve and the IRS are perfect examples of that. It is about the hidden hand draining the population, benefiting from wars etc.

302501_2276662209086_1624660052_2225894_128648782_n.jpg