1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any way to remove .co.uk sites from yahoo.com (only)??

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by ChinaNick, Jul 16, 2005.

Hi all,

does anybody know a way to remove or substantially decrease SERPS placement on unrelated regional Yahoo sites?

I'm facing the following problem: I'm running a number of store sites which sell in specific markets (1 site US, 1 site UK, 1 site Germany), and ONLY in these markets. However, Yahoo seems to like all my sites and quite ignores that for example the .co.uk shouldn't show as No. 1 in the US SERPS, rather I'd like to have my .com site there which is No. 5 for my most important KW. Now I've got zillions of US visitors who don't seem to be able to recognise even the largest notes on the top of the entry page saying 'Click here for US$ pricing' who then, without UK credit card, go on writing me hatemail that my payment gateway doesn't work :( I realize that the .com ranking won't improve by this, but I'd like to at least get rid of this No. 1 ranking...

So - is there any way to tell Yahoo to remove a site from the US SERPS without affecting UK, or perhaps (reliably and economically) redirecting visitors depending on the IP address location? Do SEs accept redirecting visitors depending on the referring domain (ie yahoo.com -> .com site) or is this seen as sneaky redirect? :confused: Many thanks for any suggestions!

ChinaNick, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  2. Scott

Scott Peon

Best Answers:
    Do a search for "geotargetting", which will allow you to map an IP to a country, state, etc.

Good luck.

Scott, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Can't you script, or get someone else to script, some code which recognises the origin of the user's url and subsequently redirects them directly to the appropriate site?

mcfox, Jul 17, 2005 IP