1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any tips on getting into DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by nddb, May 7, 2005.

1. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    "since an editor in post #2 in this thread indicated that was her purpose for joining"

She also said it was the only way to get in. And I believe it.

"All my other sites are in categories I cannot edit, and many are still waiting to be reviewed. Some of them for over a year."

LOL "over a year." God DMOZ sucks, even the editors can't get their sites in.

nddb, May 9, 2005 IP
  2. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep on posting, every post in this forum is a vote the importance of DMOZ. :D

Remember the best restaurant is the one with the long line outside.

macdesign, May 9, 2005 IP
  3. sinisa

sinisa Peon

Best Answers:
    is there a way to bypass DMOZ ???
    some of my site are not in DMOZ but are well present on SE ???
    why even think about DMOZ ???

is there a good reson for waiting so long ???

sinisa, May 9, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I get tired of repeating myself, believe it or not, but I have said many times in many places that I don't believe any editor should ever be able to edit a category where his or her site is eligible for inclusion.

I commend you for that... and that is sincere, not sarcasm.

Except one editor asking another to review his site is also a conflict of interest...

This is the way it should be. But there should also be a clearly stated conflict of interest policy about lobbying another editor to review your site.

minstrel, May 9, 2005 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The picture of "editor in post #2", looks, well, HOT :D , if you had a picture like that in your profile, I would let you edit all my sites too. :)

But seriously what kind of comment do you want? She is just confirming the lack of routines and procedure in DMOZ and how editors use it for their own benefit.

Here is my comment: She is correct and unfortunetly describes a common situation regarding DMOZ.

gworld, May 9, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I do hope that was intended as a joke...

Yes. Submit to other directories... concentrate on the free ones first and perhaps some of the paid ones if you have the money to do so. Then look for relevant reciprocal links from related websites.

Yes. Many.

Because as long as they are supported by Google, there is still some value to webmasters in having sites listed in DMOZ (not as much as most people think but still some value).

No, other than inefficiency.

minstrel, May 9, 2005 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I took it that way :)

Yes. Let me clarify, I got permission to edit a category where one of my sites was waiting. I reviewed all sites that had been submitted prior to mine, at that point I felt it was reasonable for me to review my site. Instead of doing, that, I asked another editor to write the description so it would be unbiased - no "queue jumping" - no special favours.
    There is - there is a strong prohibition against one editor asking another editor to give priority to reviewing a site. Any editor who asks about the status of his site in the internal editor forum is likely to get reprimanded.

macdesign, May 9, 2005 IP