1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any tips for my first Amazon AWS Site?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Nitin M, Oct 14, 2004.

About to start my first Amazon AWS site... have done a bit of google searching and have yet to come across any good tutorials or best practices type of sites... anyone have some good resources they'd like to share?

Or, any helpful tips would be appreciated ...

Nitin M, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  2. PennyMaker

PennyMaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Wish I had some good advice for you, but if the site is solely an AWS site I am afraid you are out of luck as Google has pretty much killed these sites which weren't already in their index. Best advice would be to add it onto a content site and avoid doing a site that is soley AWS.

PennyMaker, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  3. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. Interesting. I just started playing with the feeds and I can't figure out how any SE would be able to detect that this is an AWS site. They give you so much raw data and I can easily message it enough to avoid any duplicate content filter.

Do you think they actually filter sites based on the existence of the add to cart and checkout links? If that is the case, I can still program around that by dumping into my own homegrown cart first then integrating with the Amazon cart as the last step before they leave my site, couldn't I?

Know of any sites where the indexing/de-indexing of AWS sites is heavily discussed ?

Nitin M, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  4. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Nitin,

I can tell you PennyMaker comments are not true - so far for me and I have seen other new sited indexed. The best place that I like is here:

http://www.mrrat.com/aws/index.html

I am not a programmer and it was pretty easy for me. I think the key is to take the time to customize as you suggested to avoid any duplicate filter and keeping in theme is better than the general offering. Good luck

a389951l, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  5. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    misohoni, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What version of AWS are you using. The newest version has been renamed to ECS (E-Comerce Services) and is 4.0.

Of course, my first suggestion is to use my script. I have a demo of the new one up at http://www.thinkbling.com/aws4 (This will be released in a couple of weeks).

It took a while but Google has eventually cached over 6,000 of my pages. Do a "site:thinkbling.com" search and see for yourself.

However, if you are going it alone, using my script or different similar one, make sure you integrate your store into an existing site. Also be sure to provide proper meta information and make sure that your description, keywords and title are different on each page.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions either.

Help Desk, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  7. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone.

TB - I have the latest 4.0. Right now I am still playing around trying to see what I can come up with in terms of sucking in, messaging and republishing the content I retrieve through the feeds.

Well, unfortunately, I'm going with a brand new site. Why are people saying new amazon sites won't work? Is it because the theory is a new amazon site can't get indexed?

Nitin M, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  8. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are they actually saying old Amazon XML sites aren't working, as a recent look of my version (not updated for a while) looks a bit messed up. I guess I should upgrade when TB launches.

Cheers

misohoni, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  9. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    hey Mr Bling - will you release a UK version ?

I am running seo-toys script on 3 sites - probably 15,000 pages indexed across all three - doubled my visitors - sales are up :)

leeds1, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Whoever said they don't get indexed is wrong. I have a site that is less than a month old with over 100,000 pages spidered by Google so far.

digitalpoint, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  11. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    The 4.0 release will definitely support the UK and perhaps even Japan. All that will need to be done is to change the base XML reference to the UK source and remove the US only categories.

This next release will also be a tad more HTML compliant.

Help Desk, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  12. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with Shawn on this one although less pages indexed. Brand new site and a tad over 500 pages indexed in the first week or two.

jarvi, Oct 15, 2004 IP
  13. PennyMaker

PennyMaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh, I see I was misunderstood. My apologies. What I meant was that don't expect much traffic to come your way from the SE's if you weren't indexed pre-Sept Google update. Sure google will index the pages, because that is what Google does, but most anyone can tell you that the free traffic from Google has dropped about 80%-99% for AWS sites.

My new ones don't even get touched. Who knows though, this trend may reverse itself.

PennyMaker, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    With the AWS 4.0, you can always customize it to have the content be different. You could also display random comments and reviews to make your pages different. All in all however, if you have a good site that offers a good service, you will get indexed.

Help Desk, Oct 18, 2004 IP