1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any thoughts on Zeal?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by hulkster, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    While DMOZ seems to be one of the grandaddy of directories (remember when Yahoo was some URL at stanford.edu?!? ;-), and what numerous search engines "feed" on, any thoughts from folks on the significance of Zeal and if there affiliationed with LookSmart means much?

I.e. how much of a "player" are they, do they feed other search engines, etc.

Thanx,
    alek

hulkster, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    zeal has on emajor advantage

http://www.zeal.com/zeality/zealot_quiz_start.jhtml

you pass an exam - prior to that an online tuition - how to submit to directories - i recommend that zeal tuition ( to become a "zealot" ) to all my friends.

i have 2 entries in zeal - it took me about a full year -
    since my domain is .com
    it was first added - then "big" boss saw my entry and killed it - remark: its commercial .. (without
    looking at my site - just based on .com domain - hence i wrote an email to the "boss" - and a few weeks later i was back in the directory again - and SOMEtimes used by looksmart

this month march i have some 90 hits from looksmart ... out of half a million total hits so far ...
    that says it all

because

this same months march from a (unknown in west ) bangladesh SE / directory i got some 1100 hits ( real surfers )
    the entry took only a few minutes and few days later it was confirmed ..

so far my own experience with zeal ( same applies for joeant.com .. to become an editor to get in - lots of hassle to be in and near zero traffic )

hans, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Given that zeal is only for non-commercial sites it may not be that useful. I know that I'm enormously grateful to the freebies many commercial sites ofer.

sarahk, Mar 31, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I hear 'ya on the lack of traffic from zeal.com itself - I just checked, and only *4* referalls yesterday.

I guess I was curious if the zeal directory FEEDS any other directories (similar to how dmoz is used). I.e. they have a partnership with Looksmart, but I have a whopping total of *1* referalls from them ... although 67 visits from their BOT yesterday, so that's not a positive trend! ;-)

Thanx,
    alek

Alek's Free Satellite Photos

hulkster, Mar 31, 2004 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    zeal info is used in msn searches, but the impact is pretty minimal.

I'd normally do dmoz and zeal submissions, but beyond that it's just too much effort for too little reward- and zeal is definitely borderline.

disgust, May 20, 2004 IP
  6. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MSN is phasing out Looksmart/Zeal. It used to display their directory/PPC listings before regular search results on all of their search properties.

AFAIK, the only major directory that "feeds" a search engine is DMOZ. Yahoo has their own directory of course.

WebSavvy is a small, free directory that is/will be syndicating its db to other sites using a live/realtime system, so listings get the benefit of multiple links. I'm not sure of any others besides DMOZ that offer syndication.

Bernard, May 21, 2004 IP
  7. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the url to subit for a commercial site inclusion into Zeal?
    Without paying looksmart?
    I passed the exam, but still confused.

ginostylz, May 22, 2004 IP
  8. Bernard

Best Answers:
    Zeal does not accept or list commercial sites. It is strictly non-commercial. How could you pass the test and not know that?

Bernard, May 23, 2004 IP
  9. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is the oddest thing someone told me today.
    But was a easy test. But If you veiw your commercial competitors backlinks it is pretty obvious that thousands of commercial sites are in zeal. When you see a page loaded with your competitors, there is a link that says "add link". Then it says to sign up, then take the test. You then find out you wasted your time.

ginostylz, May 23, 2004 IP
  10. Bernard

Best Answers:
    When you are viewing sites in the editors interface, you are actually viewing both Zeal and Looksmart (commercial) listings. They have a coding system that is supposed to differentiate the status of the listings in the list. If you see commercial listings that are in Zeal proper, ask why it was allowed in the Zeal forums and see what kind of answer you get.

Bernard, May 23, 2004 IP
  11. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    really, it takes maybe an hour or so of time to pass the exam, it's not that bad

you could probably pass the zealot tests with 2-3 hours of work

disgust, May 24, 2004 IP
  12. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The purpose of Zeal is to offer a free alternative to paid Looksmart inclusion for non-comercial sites.

The main benefit of a looksmart / or zeal listing was the Australian market - as it powered just about every Aussie search facility on sites such as local teleco's - where many people who get the net connected also access their email, and consequently search.

It's popularity is in decline though - it use to be at least 50% of Aussie search.

While the search engines people use in Australia today are of course the majors Google / Yahoo / nineMSN...

Today looksmart / zeal (and affilliates) is probably 5-10% of Aussie search.

Dominic, May 27, 2004 IP
  13. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Zeal can be a benefit, depending upon the type of site you run. I've found much of the traffic is derived from an origin outside the US. Atleast in my cases.

schlottke, May 28, 2004 IP
  14. shivam

shivam Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is good to pay and don't spend time to become zealot..

shivam, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  15. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Look at the date on this thread. Zeal is closed.

Obelia, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  16. rubeina

rubeina Invisible Staff Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Ohh... just another thread brought from the dead! :D

rubeina, Jun 15, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.