1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any SEO copywriters who understand Latent Semantic Indexing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by driven, Dec 12, 2006.

Curious to know how many SEO copywriters there are here who also understand the fine art and science of Latent Semantic Indexing [LSI] as it relates to content development and search engines.

driven, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  2. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me this whole idea can be resumed to a single technique: use alternative keywords, synonyms and the other terms usually associated with the aimed keyword. As simple as that. And this is basically what good writers have been doing all along: no keyword stuffing, but rather copy relevant to the topic which naturally incorporates these alternative words and is mostly designed for the reader, rather than a search engine.

Regards, George

geegel, Dec 13, 2006 IP
    driven likes this.
  3. cedano

cedano Peon

Best Answers:
    can you send me a book or something where i could read about that?

cedano, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  4. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will be useful in case of yahoo as it prefers a KW density of 8 % but the synonyms are counted as the same keyword.

Google prefers 2 % KW density and synonyms are counted as different KWs.

So basically you want an article optimised for both ;)

I have a team of content writers and looking for some projects other than our inhouse work.

PM me with the price you are willing to pay and the amount of work you wish to get done.

WorldImpulse, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    Raj Kumar likes this.
  5. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who told you that Yahoo wants a KWD of 8%? KWD is a bit outdated nowadays. It's always good to have a rule of thumb and that's what KWD provides, but I rarely use it nowadays.

My preferred methodology is similar to what Geegel is doing.

But to expand a bit, I would take all the possible keywords and keyword phrases that are possible for the client's business. If they are asking me to revise their old copy, then I'd like to take a look at any metrics/stats that they currently have on their site. I want to see how the site is currently being found and the keywords that are being used to find the website.

I then start mixing and matching the keywords into possible phrases that the prospect might be using. This is where LSI methodology starts. Once I'd developed about 4-10 KW phrases, I start to find ways to inject that into the webcopy and the site design. This can include creating all in anchor text links, h1 headers, navigation menu, title description, footer, sections dedicated for that topic, etc...

Some people ask if they should write for the SEs first and then for the human audience or the reverse. I say write for the human audience and then inject words into the copy for SEs.

When you do a search on Google for any keyword phrase, you start to see how the SEs place LSI as something very important within their algorithms. LSI is simply the proximity of keywords showing up in the website and ultimately within the search engines.

A good SEO copywriter is someone who can understand not only webcopy writing but also know how to do proper keyword research and how search engines work. I think finding those type of webcopy professionals are a dime a dozen.

driven, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, there's a big difference between those of us who actually do the stuff for our own business (and provide the service to others) verses those that are just writers.

You should always write for humans. If you know how to write well, you'll already be creating content that the SEs will love and that will be highly targeted.

marketjunction, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  7. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can I see the comprehensive test data that you must have amassed through your rigorous testing to quote those keyword densities with such certainty?

hooperman, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  8. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    I use the same approach as DRIVEN does, but I feel it is more of a long tail thingy than a LSI methodology. A bit of both I presume.

Keyword density does still matter. Maybe not so much as it used to but it is still a significant factor.

You need to think about your keywords and your market. LSI does not always apply. As an extreme example look at the seo contests. There are no latent terms in existence when you are competing for a nonsensical term like carcrasherdotcom.

LSI is more about using different terms that mean the same thing, like laptop vs. notebook. Also other relevant terms that tend to occur in association with your targeted terms. If your main key word is Real Estate you better include the word home our property at least once in your text. Not that you are optimizing for the word property. You are still optimizing for Real Estate but when googlebot sees that you refer to property as well, it adds relevance to your page that is optimized for Real Estate. Now to effectively optimize for property you should have a separate page that targets that term (higher keyword density) and include the term real estate, at least once, for the LSI relevance.

Thats my take on it.

axemedia, Dec 28, 2006 IP