1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any quick way to get into Yahoo WITHOUT paying?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by jfontestad, May 24, 2004.

Hi,
    Is there any quick way to get into yahoo without paying ? Will their spiders do as Google's spiders and follow links they find on different pages ? or is the only way to get in too pay or the free submission ? I did the free submission about a month ago and still haven't seent any Yahoo activity on my page at all.... and I still don't think I'm ready to give up $300 a year for a paid inclusion. Well let me know. Thanks.

jfontestad, May 24, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    There really isn't a quick way to get into Yahoo without paying. But, you will eventually get into Yahoo, it will just take a couple of months. I did not pay for Yahoo inclusion and I'm on the 1st page for most of my keywords. From what I remember, it didn't take long at all for Yahoo to recognize my site. So, unless you have $300 to burn, sit tight and wait it out :D !

ViciousSummer, May 24, 2004 IP
  3. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    when you pay the 300 does that spider and list one page only or does it go throught the site and spider and list the whole site?

-dan

arestia, May 24, 2004 IP
  4. Voyager

Voyager Guest

Best Answers:
    Are we talking about Yahoo Search or the Yahoo Directory?

On 28 March, I submitted 12 URL's to the Yahoo directory.

None have appeared.

For Yahoo Search, have a lot on inbound links to your site and you will be found. It ain't quick -- but nothing about Yahoo is quick.

IMHO, it is NOT worth $300. Yahoo just doesn't bring enough visitors.

Voyager, May 25, 2004 IP
  5. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    It's sad but, a couple posts on DP equals what yahoo is worth in PR.

Hexed

hexed, May 25, 2004 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have only one site then it is difficult, as ideally you can get spidered in a matter of days into Yahoo! Search. All you need is to find a page tha is spidered regularly by the Yahoo! Slurp spider, slap a link up, and your in.

You will need a few more links to get deep spidered, but they can be from anywhere (although you should check that the pages appear in the Yahoo index or else yahyoo will not know about the links.

Old Welsh Guy, May 25, 2004 IP
  7. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    you have to be signed on to yahoo

http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request

if the site is well connected with some good links in, etc.
    I've a some sites that are visited daily so this may help.
    Put one in 19th May it's in and positioned, but may have been coincidence.
    M

expat, May 25, 2004 IP
  8. SEO Guy

SEO Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO waiting 2 months to get decent ranks in yahoo is BS, and the $300 is worth it for any ecomm site, if you cant make $300 with the site on yahoo, within 2 months you shouldnt be promoting it anyways (Dont be such an ass SEO guy)

But seriously its a decent backlink, and I honestly believe deep down yahoo gives some preferencial treatment to those sites listed in their directory

SEO Guy, May 25, 2004 IP
  9. expat

Best Answers:
    IMHO $300 for a link is a joke - if you have that kind of money for a single link a well writen and positioned PR article on the right distribution and lists gets you far more than any link in a directory ever will.

M

expat, May 26, 2004 IP
  10. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    It really wasn't worth it for me last year when I submitted it. I've since let that expire and resubmitted using the free site submission. Not sure if they're going to frown upon that or not. But in either case DMOZ is probably much more important than Yahoo as far as directories go.

SENewbie, May 26, 2004 IP
  11. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I agree with SEO Guy...what it really boils down to is what is your return on investment with regards to the $300. Obviously if you don't make more than $300 in a year from your Yahoo Directory listing, then you may not want to do it. If you break even, then I think it is still worth it from a PR/backlink standpoint. I just wish Yahoo would go back to the days where it was $200 for express review and that was a one-time fee.

chachi, May 26, 2004 IP
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that there is a lot of misunderstanding on this issue. The $300 is not for a listing in the Yahoo search engine. The $300 is for a listing in the Yahoo Directory. That is different. It is not the SERPs or search engine. It is a directory like DMOZ or GoGuides or Gimpsy or others.

Now to get indexed by Yahoo for placement in their search engine you have two options.

1. You can do nothing and hopefully their bots or spiders will eventually find you like Google does.

2. You can go to Overture and pay a fee -- there are a couple of services -- but typically the fee for their "Site Match" service is $49.00 per year and then in addition to that you will be charged a PPC rate of either 15 or 30 cents for every click through to your site from the Yahoo SERPs.

Very few people seem to understand this situation. It has only been in effect since about March. But if you want more detail go to
    Overture Site Match

compar, May 26, 2004 IP
  13. expat

Best Answers:
    Sorry to be nitpicking
    Yahoo directory feeds Yahoo SERPS - Your entry in Y Dir does feed into the SERPS BUT no positioning based on this, there is no refresh info and one needs to very carefully instruct the editors even for $300 it's been known to be checked and rewritten by a moron.

SiteMatch guarantees an entry into Y SERPS BUT not into Y DIR gives refresh BUT no positioning and there is the small matter of PPC attached to it.

Thus if it's high competitive or one can't get into Y fast enough (probably due to having no other ranking sites that can lend a hand (link) the following needs to be carefully looked at:

Y Dir is $300 / year one off with a valuable link? -
    SiteMatch is $49 + .15 0r .30 PPC-
    After only 1700 clicks SM is getting more expensive than Y Dir.

Thus if one expects the not unreasonable amount of 50 visitors a day driven by Y and about 20% come via the main targeted page

SiteMatch - 3650 clicks / year SM cat I = $596.50 SM cat II = $1144
    Y DIR $300

ROI - based on just 1% conversion

SM cat I = $16.50 cat II = $31.80 Y DIR = $8.34

Makes it very attractive to pay a leading site for a jucy link to get into Y fast.

M

expat, May 27, 2004 IP
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am going to throw my hat into the ring now as well :p

Yahoo! directory does not actually feed the Yahoo! search serps, but Yahoo! HAVE confirmed that yahoo! slurp spider DOES spider the directory.

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, May 27, 2004 IP
  15. expat

Best Answers:
    Nice hat.... well yes nitpicking I deserve that, yes you are absoloutely correct, I just assumed that a site submitted to Y DIR is actually god enough to be picked up by a crawler........

And before I get beaten up ROI is wrong as well should read customer aquisition cost (or cac - sounds like what it is sometimes ...)

Cheers
    M

expat, May 27, 2004 IP
  16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    And in case you missed it, so was I in my original post that you contradicted.

The $300 dollars get your site reviewed and if they like it they will put it in the directory. You don't even get a guarantee of that, and you don't get your money back if they don't approve it. So I repeat the $300 dollars does not include indexing by the Yahoo search engine.

It follows of course that if your site gets approved for the Yahoo Directory that Yahoo will crawl their own directory and as a result a link from the directory will probably get your site indexed by the search engine.

So the $300 is potentially a very expensive link and a way to back into the search engine with albsolutely no guarantee of either inclusion or preferential treatment.

The direct path into the search engine is via Overture Site Match as I said in my original post.

I said at the outset that there was a lot of misunderstanding on this issue and your post tended to confirm this.

compar, May 27, 2004 IP
  17. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Since the original question was how to get in free to Yahoo, lets summarize:

To get indexed by the search engine for free go here (you need an account):
    http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request
    Make sure you submit only your homepage, don't spam. OF course this doesn't guarantee your site will get spidered, let alone indexed.

To get into the Yahoo directory for free you need to do the Standard submit. Drill down to the category you want to submit to and click "Suggest a Site", and they should prompt you with 2 options, one being the "Express Submit" which cost $300 and doesn't guarantee anything other than a timely review, or the "Standard Submit", which is free, but might take months before you get listed.

So that's how to get in for free. Hope that helps

SENewbie, May 27, 2004 IP
  18. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    and keep in mind the original question was how to get in free and QUICK. no such thing is guaranteed by any free method. more often it means SLOW.

dazzlindonna, May 27, 2004 IP
  19. expat

Best Answers:
    hi,
    ... would I dare to contradict you? - maybe I write expat UK english - and yours has a canadian slang?
    M
    PS sure looks expensive from your side of the border.

expat, May 27, 2004 IP
  20. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't even know there was a FREE option :eek:

Can any nice person who can help with optimising for Yahoo answer my thread in this forum because I'm not having any luck :(

Darren :)

DarrenC, May 30, 2004 IP