1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any lag type issues with Google Sitemaps 500,000+ records

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Steven_D, Sep 12, 2008.

I have just created a set of sitemaps for my new website, in total there are 20 files, each holding 25000 records for a total of 500,000.

I uploaded them to my server, in total its about 110mb.

I tried to open one of the sitemap files (XML) from my browser and my PC basically locked.

I wanted to know if google will have this problem with opening the files, they say the files cant be more than 10mb or have more than 50,000 records, which mine dont, but if I cant open them, doesnt seem logical that they will be able to open them with ease.

And is there any chance that it will slow down my server each time google starts to download them.

Anyone with more than 500K+ pages have issues with sitemaps.

Also, I wrote a script to build the sitemaps dynammically and google has ticked them off as ok.

cheers

Steven_D, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  2. Steven_D

Steven_D Peon

Best Answers:
    so no help on this one then?

Steven_D, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  3. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    Any file that large will take time to load on a PC. Google does not use the overhead the Microsoft IE's has. If Google likes them great.

catanich, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  4. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's true loading such a large file on FireFox/IE may cause problems (really, I would say it's a browser problem... Crappy if it locks your PC...) .... but google won't have that problem. Afterall, they are the ones who originally specified the protocol and that XML sitemaps could be that large.

websitetools, Sep 13, 2008 IP