1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any handcoders here?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Colleen, May 18, 2005.

1. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I use DW when trying to build a concept or when I'm not sure how I want something to look.

It's actually a great program!

Crazy_Rob, May 18, 2005 IP
  2. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys are totally incredible! This is so awesome that some of you can look at the code like an operator looking at the Matrix feed!

I use the online html editor for php, but i can't live without DW for the rest... :(

YianG, May 18, 2005 IP
  3. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    mg, vi and emacs for me.

jbw, May 18, 2005 IP
  4. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know any of those. :confused:

Colleen, May 18, 2005 IP
  5. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    vi? Yikes! I could never really get the hang of that.

Crazy_Rob, May 18, 2005 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I hand code. I've been switching away from the buggy PHP Coder IDE and have been trying Maguma Studio, Zend Studio and another one. Will be buying Zend soon. I normally close all little windows and have one big page with code open to work with.

T0PS3O, May 19, 2005 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I hand code...

So much more control over CSS styled layouts...

I use TextPad Currently but am open to exploring other options... (Moving over to linux soon so things may have to change)...

SEbasic, May 19, 2005 IP
  8. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    Hand code, I use an SSH connection to my linux server and use the vim text editor to type stuff in. I sometimes make syntax mistakes that I might not make if they were all colored by an IDE, but its sooo easy to make little changes!

Stin, May 19, 2005 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Interdev for all of my ASP coding just becuase it color codes things nicely and it gives me my drop downs when I'm coding. I don't use the built in code creators because it creates such code bloat and code crap. It's just better than textpad for asp. For everything else, I use notepad.

mopacfan, May 19, 2005 IP
  10. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I can't even leave home without DW and Fireworks MX. ALMOST renders coders obsolete. You really have to use both of them to understand how it can save time/money. Here are a few examples...

1) Fireworks- Batch processing, amazing photo effects, eye candy plugin, opens psd's
    2) Dreamweaver- Auto Create Photo Album (requires Fireworks), find and replace, cleanup html, source formatting, create/ record actions.

+LOTS MORE

I really don't know how you coders do it. You build 1 site I build 10. My personal feeling is Macromedia rules...No offence intended to the hardcore coders.

Homer, May 19, 2005 IP
  11. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Trust me, neither of those will be replacing any hand coders.

noppid, May 19, 2005 IP
  12. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Generall use Notepad++ for PHP writing, DW for templates and overall site design and the odd bit of VS when .NET is needed.

Still have fond memories of Homesite.

dct, May 19, 2005 IP
  13. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    That must be why I outsource it ;) . My skills are REALLY limited so I have the utmost respect for all of you. I just wish you weren't so damn expensive :( .

Homer, May 19, 2005 IP
  14. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. vi all the way. I sometimes use emacs when I am feeling frisky but most of my work is done in vi ... and shows it :(

Though, I will have to admit that my newer work where I use CSS for tables instead of html tables is starting to look pretty slick. Unfortunately it still isn't quite as good as the work the pros can produce.

ziandra, May 19, 2005 IP
  15. noppid

Best Answers:
    Everything is negotiable! But ya gotta appreciate, what you guys think is a quick job, may take hours. It would be nice to make about 50 and hour, but be fair and give us a means to an end and you can get alot of work by offering a fair flat fee with detailed instructions.

noppid, May 19, 2005 IP
  16. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I guess what I'm not sure about is debugging. Say I contract a coding project to you that may include flash, PHP sql. You code it and we beta test it...who pays for debugging? Is there an industry standard for this? Why should I have to pay for your coding errors :confused:

This is a general statement NOT applicable to you but very applicable to some projects I outsource :)

Homer, May 19, 2005 IP
  17. noppid

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't, that's the point of "a means to an end". You describe the functionality, agree on a price and it should include being debugged.

If you look around for my released code, you will see no bug reports and only requests for functionality additions. Some of us can get it right the first time. :)

There are a few I've done work for as well around the communities that can speak for my abilty to follow through and get the job right. Those same people may agree I'm a pain in the ass too, but us perfectionists are like that.

noppid, May 19, 2005 IP
  18. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    HMM, truthfully I have been wrapped up in this online design module way too long now. Started Nov 2004, still at it with a company oversees. The work is good, just S L O W.

I gave 50% deposit then they asked for balance before debugging was finished. I agreed (silly). Now we have been hung up on a stupid browser issue for 7 weeks now :( . I am soo out of patience with this project.

Homer, May 19, 2005 IP
  19. noppid

Best Answers:
    Lot's of folks take the time to look at little problems and solve them if posted. ;)

EDIT: got the PM.

noppid, May 19, 2005 IP
  20. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I hand code my tables and css...it isn't very pretty, but it does what I want.

Other than that I use CMS's or nVu.

AfterHim.com, May 19, 2005 IP