1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any guesses how long dmoz search will remain broken?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Owlcroft, May 1, 2004.

I don't know just how long it's been broken, but for several days at least and I suspect more.

Does anyone have any clue, from whatever source, how long that state of affairs is likely to last? And why it is measured in days instead of hours?

Owlcroft, May 1, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is a problem with the building of the index from RDF data. Apparently the build takes 3-4 days, and requires that the old index is wiped out first (don't ask me why). Truthfully, I'm not sure why it takes so long, when it went down I downloaded the RDF dump, created a script from scratch to parse it and put it into a MySQL database. Creating the script took about 20 minutes and parsing the 2GB file took about 20 minutes. So no idea what they are doing on the backend that takes so long. But at least I have my own private ODP search now. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 1, 2004 IP
  3. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    I would debate whether or not it ever really "worked" in the first place!

ephricon, May 1, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I asked because I am waiting to see whether the repair will have an effect.

My site had been doing fairly well with Google SERP, slowly but surely--and steadily-- rising in the SERPs, up to about #21, when overnight, with no changes (except a few added backlinks that I know of), it dropped to #40-something, where it sits now.

In retrospect, that dropoff appeared to come just about when dmoz search went down. I cannot right away figure how the two would be related--surely, sites using dmoz data still have, as dmoz itself does, the actual listing in the directory pages? And that is all I can see as a connection. But the otherwise-inexplicable step drop and the coincidence in time are suspicious, which is why I am anxious to see what happens when dmoz is repaired.

If the repair does not improve matters, then I am thoroughly flummoxed as to why the sudden drastic drop.

Owlcroft, May 1, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Eric,

I don't want to be rude, but your "cause and effect" reasoning simply amazes me. Are you sure that you didn't put you right shoe on before your left on the morning that you ranking dropped? In my view that would be just a suspect.

The fact that DMOZ is down cannot possibly have any relationship to you placement in the SERPs. First Google has their own copy of the DMOZ results which has been uneffected. Secondly Google is notoriously slow updating their copy of the DMOZ directory. The last update of their directory from the DMOZ was months behind.

So here are the things that would have to be in play for DMOZ's problems to effect your SERP placement.

1. Google would have to give particulaily high relevance rating to a DMOZ list rather than to the same listing in their own copy of the directory. There is absolutely no evidence that that is the case. Either that they use the DMOZ site rather than their own, or that they give these listing particularily high relevance ratings.

2. Google would have to be so stupid that they would allow an obvious temporary off line situation to change their entire determination of which sites are relevant. Remember that is their mission in life, to present relevant results for any search term.

compar, May 1, 2004 IP
  6. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    No: it has been affected. I can sit in Google's Directory on the page listing my site, do a search, and be told it isn't in the directory.

And the issue is nothing whatever to do with Google giving any sort of special significance to directory listings. It is to do with the hundreds of web pages around the world that are duplicates of the dmoz Directory. If, in some way, those "lost" the listing, that would affect backlink counts.

That I can still see the listings in dmoz is why I am unsure if there can be any relation, but I put my shoes on every day, whereas I don't see precipitous drops in SERP--after long, steady rising, and with no site changes--every day or every week or every month. It is therefore not a strained or naive logic to hypothesize that there might be a causal relation between two isolated, unusual events in the same overall sphere that occur more or less simultaneously.

Again, the possible issue is a simple one: backlinks. A backlink count is not a lot of help, because most of those copycat directories do not seem to rise to the minimum PR to be cited--but cumulatively, they doubtless have an effect, which, I gather, is why getting a dmoz listing, and thus hundreds of backlinks, even if low-level, is always recommended.

Owlcroft, May 1, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well bottom line is the DMOZ search does not affect anything other than your ability to search on their site (does not affect back links at all).

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 1, 2004 IP
  8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you SURE about that - I was poking around recently and based on some stuff I saw, my guess is that an update was taken sometime in the last few weeks ...

alek

hulkster, May 1, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that is correct, but that update was 4 to 6 months in coming. Now I can't swear to that because I think DMOZ is almost a non issue now in the SERPs so I don't pay close attention.

compar, May 2, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The directory updates are actually getting a little closer together. Last one was about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the one before that was about 2 months go.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 2, 2004 IP
  11. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    wow, it's a full 2GB's? that's huge, really. how on earth can plain text be that large? even with all the sites they have listed, I couldn't imagine it being anywhere near there..

disgust, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because it's URLs, descriptions, dates (in some cases), structure info and lots of XML tags.

digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  13. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I've been waiting on my web site to be added to dmoz for about 1 month now and still nothing has happened.

With all these updates is it likely my site could be added soon? I have a 0 page rank and in dier need of links. :(

Weirfire, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Really depends on the editor of the category you submitted to (and especially if it even has an editor). I've seen sites get approved the same day, and I've also seen sites sit in the unreviewed queue for over 5 years. The best thing to do is submit it, and forget about it. Someday it will show up.

15. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Wow fast reply.

I would imagine the web design category would be quite a large category. ;)

Would it be true that Dmoz is the largest online directory to be in? (I really should post new threads)

Weirfire, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    DMOZ is arguably the biggest, but it's definitely the best for SEO purposes (since hundreds of sites use their data).