1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any experience with Google Beta SiteMap generator?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by debare, Jun 12, 2005.

Has anyone used the Google Beta SiteMap Generator https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/sitemap-generator.html?

This appears to be a great way to get large sites indexed properly by Google, but curious if anyone has any negative or positive experiences with the Beta tool? Are there any unintended consequences to submitting your site to Google in this fashion?

Enquiring minds ...

debare, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  2. underscorebleach

underscorebleach Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say the biggest unintended consequence is telling Google (and anyone else who knows the URL to the XML sitemap) about documents on your web space that were previously unknown. Security through Obscurity doesn't work when a local script is walking through directory trees and outputting everything...

underscorebleach, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you put anything on the web if you want to hide it?

compar, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  4. underscorebleach

underscorebleach Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying that's how you *should* use the web, but many folks use their web space as second hard drive and such...

p.s. good times: http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:sitemap.xml.gz

underscorebleach, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  5. niknakgroup

niknakgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    I used a hacked apart version of it for my oscommerce site - on Friday I had 897 pages indexed by Google despaite thousands of backlinks and 4 years online with frequent google visits. Today I have 8,954 pages indexed. I submitted my sitemap yesterday morning - thats what I call a result! I would strongly recommend it, also recommend putting a link to your sitemap somewhere on your homepage for other robots - it really helps them get around your site.

niknakgroup, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the two things are totally unrelated. There have been reports elsewhere on this forum of wild swings in the number of pages indexed, by Google in the last 24 to 48 hours. see http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=206395&postcount=1995

There is a difference between coincidence and cause and effect. :)

compar, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  7. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I have a dynamic site, so google's generator wasn't an option I just generate my own xml and submit it to google. As for indexing unwanted info - doesn't it follow robots.txt rules? At least you can hide the xml - https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html#s6

gemini, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  8. WebDesignPro

WebDesignPro Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right debare.
    Writing a spider is challenging. It has to account for every level of quality of html out in the wild on the internet.
    The GoogleBot programmers probably said, "I've had it! Let the webmasters and site owner tell us what to index."

And hence, Google sitemaps was born.

It is great for dynamic sites. Saves bandwidth and indexing time. It works best for dynamic sites. Static sites are mostly well indexed.

WebDesignPro, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  9. overload

overload Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a sitemap file and placed it on a small site.

I put a page that is not linked from anywhere else and placed
    a alert email in it to check when googlebot comes.

Nothing so far ...

overload, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  10. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there anything special about this link? Would it work even for those who have .txt sitemaps?

swoop, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  11. admans

admans Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitemap is truely a best of getting the pages indexed on Google. I have tried it and happy with the outcome.

admans, Jul 19, 2005 IP