1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any editors of DMOZ around?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by miko67, Jan 11, 2005.

Just wondering if anyone would ever volunteer to be an editor for DMOZ, and talk about it... or if it's a secret like when you work for Google :p

miko67, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  2. MarkB

MarkB Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a dmoz editor (just recently reinstated! Originally signed up back in 2000 or something).

MarkB, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  3. symetrix

symetrix Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone from DMOZ want to go thru the hassle of getting my site listed for me? :p

symetrix, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi, MarkB. Reinstated due to absence or reconsideration of rejection?

davert, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  5. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Mark,
    I'm trying to list www.Shaislighting.com forever with no luck so far. :confused:
    Any suggestions how to get listed ?
    Jack

Jackobo007, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  6. reppy

reppy Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been trying to get my site blindradar.com listed forever. :(

Well, OK, 3-4 months. But still! In the world of "instant", even 3 days is forever. ;)

reppy, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  7. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guys.. really. The way you instantly fall over poor old MarkB, it's no surprise that no one else comes forth :p

I was considering to try it myself... but wondering if it's any fun :(

miko67, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the same thing.

joeychgo, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  9. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    I think if dmoz would just set up a "search for status of your site" system, which would not take TOO long, it would save them TONS of email. Otherwise you don't know if you've been rejected or why - I had a site rejected for an outage that occured when my server was having trouble, and it's been about 8 months on line for reconsideration, but if an editor had not told me that, or that you're only allowed to resubmit once a year or something like that...

A status report would be VERY handy. For that matter, so would some form of appeal. Or, for that matter, getting more editors to visit the categories in dire need of processing.

davert, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  10. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been an editor as I mentioned in another thread, gave it up though when they kept refusing to let me expand my edit priviledges beyond my one category, even though the extras ones I applied for were where I had local knowledge and weren't getting seen to because of lack of editors.

pwaring, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  11. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm an editor for the one of the video gaming categories

Editors know how frequently they should check for links for their category. For me, being an editor is easy because I only need to log in once a month and I have a policy of not submitting to other categories (so please don't ask), unless it was a link submitted to my category that needs to be re-categorized. I can also tell if someone really tried to get the right category, or if they are trying to get another editor to push their link for them.

roadies, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  12. roadies

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Only log in once a month...
    meaning my category doesn't get many submissions so I know the frequency I need to visit.

Some editors need to log in once a week, day, or maybe a few times a day or thinks will back up quickly.

roadies, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  13. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like it could be fun to try out... anyway, thanks a lot to you editors for sticking your heads up, so to speak :)

miko67, Jan 16, 2005 IP
  14. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I generally log in several times a day. If I go more than a day without editing, things start getting out of hand. On a daily basis I can expect to find a minimum of five misfiled sites that need to be moved, along with possible new sites, and other issues. On a heavy activity day, I might find 50 sites to be dealt with, including reviews deletes and moves. Usually less than 25% are sites to be reviewed.

Occassionly the dreaded internal Robozilla gets to work -- it starts to go through everyting knocking out sites that have gone dead, been hijacked, etc. When that starts running, sites start getting unreviewed very fast, and you can sometimes see by the minute the numbers changing, at the end of day of that, I might have hundreds of sites to be checked to make sure they are down, and to try and find a new URL for them.

macdesign, Jan 17, 2005 IP
  15. seoxperts

seoxperts Peon

Best Answers:
    I am an editor in a regional category.

seoxperts, Jan 18, 2005 IP
  16. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Xperts,
    Is it ok to submit a site to two categories? Its already in the main category but since the site has grown and also has loads of regional information. Im worried about submitting it again as ive heard you get your original listing removed!!..

sue, Jan 18, 2005 IP
  17. seoxperts

seoxperts Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, ok to submit in your appropriate biz category and the right regional category.

seoxperts, Jan 18, 2005 IP
  18. roadies

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you submit to multiple categories, be sure to submit different pages to the different categories. Some editors (not all) are picky about that.

roadies, Jan 18, 2005 IP
  19. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very bad advice, do not follow it. It's a flagrant violation of the guidelines.

macdesign, Jan 18, 2005 IP
  20. roadies

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not bad advice, just poorly communicated. Sorry to those I misguided.

yeah, if you submit every one of your pages on your site to different categories, that is submission spam and you'll get blacklisted.

I was only thinking about one of my domains in particular when I stated it. I basically run 7 different index pages with news and events on seven different categories. I submitted each individual area to the ODP and was well within guidelines, since each pages content was uniquely different from the other. It would be like seven people on geocities or blogspot.com submitting their individual page.

I am not one site submitting as above, I am seven different sites submitting. ODP does not enforce this rule at the domain level. It can only enforce at the page level, perhaps even the directory level.

roadies, Jan 18, 2005 IP