1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

any DMOZ editors here?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by datentravel, Mar 24, 2010.

1. kabalyero

kabalyero Peon

Best Answers:
    How long does it take for a DMOZ Editor to review a newly submitted site?

kabalyero, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  2. adsense74387

adsense74387 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't find the email. I don't think I got one. I think I just saw it in the server logs. It was from an editors URL or something to that effect.

adsense74387, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    30 seconds[1] to 10 minutes depending upon the site's business model, accessibility and content. However, exactly when some volunteer will spend that effort is unpredictable :)

[1]MFAs etc

jimnoble, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  4. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    The better question would be "Why is DMOZ only approving 3-6000 sites a month when there are easily 25x that being submitted"? Would you have us believe that there are only 3-6000 worthy submissions each month? This is exactly why most career webmasters believe DMOZ to be corrupt.

I used to look forward to having a site listed in the moz, but that was more than 10 years ago when it wasn't too big to care. It seems that, much like other large online companies, they've forgotten who helped to make them what they are. These days submitting a website to DMOZ is much like following a yellow brick road. It's easy enough to claim that the submitters are either stupid and can't read or have no content worth publishing. As for editors; "Sadly, many applicants are either liars, can't read or are clearly self serving" Quite an arrogant statement if put into perpective. There are 9 people who sincerely want to help for every 1 that wants to "work the system". While I completely empathize with the issue of editors trying to work DMOZ to their own ends, I also have the common sense to realize where you're coming from.

The most vocal of DMOZ editors smack of the same elitist mentallity, openly and unapologetically. It isn't DMOZ' job to expect a certain etiquette from it's editors, after all they don't represent you adequately from the mangerial perspective so why should you expect them to in public. This is part of the problem when it comes to having a self policed force of "volunteers". You can't help but end up with some sort of pecking order where the rules aren't equally applied to editors old and new. You're trying to make sure new editors aren't going to steal the eggs while your grandfathered editors have been stealing the chickens for years.

But I digress, it's too nice a day to ponder such things.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    stevenh, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have no idea. Maybe they are volunteers; maybe because so much crap gets submitted that many editors just ignore the submitted sites and look for new sites eleswhere; .... your guess is good as mine as to the reason.

Agent000, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  6. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree that DMOZ must get a load of garbage being submitted. And I agree that because it's volunteer driven that there will be less effective managing than a paid service would provide. I've never taken away from the work that many volunteers do and even they'll admit there are a lot of shortcomings with the volunteer corp.

With that said, I'd also point out that there seems to an abundance of willing volunteers and that the relegation of editing duties, down to the smallest category, would in effect keep the bad ones from doing any real damage. I'd also like to think that the majority of people are still honest. Anyone who can openly say " "Sadly, many applicants are either liars, can't read or are clearly self serving" gives me an insight that others might not see. It seems they have lost perpective on just what a "self managed" directory is by design and this is truly sad.

stevenh, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasted a lot of my valuable time listing websites at the ODP many years ago and I have a vague recollection that at the time, many quality websites were being submitted, with only a small proportion of rubbish. Quite a few were submitted to the wrong category.

The reason why so few listings are added each month is because no one uses the ODP anymore, and the only people that are interested in it are SEO with antiquated notions (and these don't often get past the editor-approval process), and the link-listing "editors" themselves.

Few people apply to edit, because no one USES the ODP, or even knows about its existence. Of those that become editors, few actually care to participate once they've added their own sites and a few token links. I can't blame them, it's tedious, pedantic, and a colossal waste of time, all things considered.

helleborine, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Look forward to seeing you on the editor side when you have taken the time to read the application form, find the sites needed and applied to become an editor and using your spare time to help increase the numbers.

Anonymously, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  9. kenlapz

kenlapz Peon

Best Answers:
    If u have problem in putting your website on dmoz, then u just got the same problem as me :(
    I had tried a lot to put my website on dmoz but not success till now

kenlapz, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  10. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Thats your problem! Why did you try "a lot"? Submitting more than ONCE only hurts your chances of an editor reviewing your site!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    Agent000, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually... it seems that trying A LOT worked in his favor, cuz he ended the post with "till now" which implies it worked out in the end.

My guess is that the editor simply found the guys site on google and didn't check the queue at all... but then, my guess is as good as any because no one is allowed to talk about it beyond guessing because confidentiality guidelines are the ONLY guidelines kept by editors.

Qryztufre, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  12. ghobro

ghobro Peon

Best Answers:
    yes I agree, the editor will only accept the most popular site in google and sites developed by the editors and friends.

ghobro, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  13. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Do you have any evidence to support that or are you making it up?

Agent000, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  14. miranon

miranon Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm an editor for a small category in Netherlands. Joined DMOZ 2 years ago.

miranon, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And do you have any evidence to support all your claims or are you making it up since your claiming that you are not an editor nor have ever been. (If so what was or is your editors name ? )

popotalk, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Topix? @0k deep links all belonging to a single editor, that were put in the ODP by a bot rather then a human. What other evidence is needed to show that they support their own over all others? Seriously... you guys keep asking for proof, I keep bringing up the single most abused site within the entire directory, and yet that's not enough? Funny thing is, if that is not evidence of them supporting their own, then that really means such a thing is perfectly fine, and NOT a problem at all. If it's not a problem, then that's still proof they give preffernces to editor owned sites though... so either way, so long as a single site that is affiliated with an editor is given preferencital treatment, that means that the ODP gives prefferencital treatment to editor affiliated sites... no if, ands, or buts about it... even if it was the doing of AOL, it still has happened, and is still happening.

Qryztufre, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  17. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The funny thing is that Topix is so freakin' low in the SERPs, it's not even worth it for them to be listed, but it's just too much a bother to remove those useless listings. No one cares about ODP except webmasters stuck in 2001 and a few stalwart "link-listing-hobbyists."

I mean, when was the last time you saw TOPIX floating up the SERPs??? For me, the answer is never.

That should be a hint...

helleborine, Sep 23, 2010 IP