1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

any DMOZ editors here?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by datentravel, Mar 24, 2010.

I want to apply as an editor and I need to ask you guys something regarding.

datentravel, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why didn't you just ask then?

Qryztufre, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  3. keerthi143

keerthi143 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are no DMOZ editors in this forum. most of members in this forum have tried to become DMOZ editor but none of succeeded. Good luck.

keerthi143, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Don't read the forum much do ya? There are plenty of editors, ex-editors, and wannabe editors...

Qryztufre, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The owner of Digitalpoint is an editor.

Agent000, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Has Shawn sold it then? He hasn't been an editor for years.

jimnoble, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  7. Fabzoc

Fabzoc Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I miss something but ...
    Apparently there are plenty of wannabe editors and a long waiting list for websites to be approved in DMOZ.

Is this so hard to "hire" quality editors ? Because otherwise it makes no sense to cultivate so much frustration for every webmaster to have to wait most of the time a very long time and not knowing:
    1. if the website is approved,
    2. why if not
    3. or even if the website has been reviewed even after one year or more...

Fabzoc, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  8. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    No, it's very easy and I'm always happy to do so.
    Sadly, many applicants are either liars, can't read or are clearly self serving. Those I decline. Wouldn't you?

You can self check whether or not a website is listable. If it is listable, it will be listed when we get to it. If not, not.

jimnoble, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  9. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you want to ask? You don't need to apply to be an editor just to list your site in ODP.

Lol.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I doubt Shawn would do such things for the sake of money. He's not an award winner for no reason.

@OP
    A thing you need to know about ODP
    And no bribery would get you into a quality editor's category. I remember Jim saying he red listed a site for even suggesting to offer bribe to get into ODP.
    Correct me if I am wrong Jim.

wptheme, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  10. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    We have a zero tolerance policy on bribery - and a hair trigger.

jimnoble, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  11. Fabzoc

Fabzoc Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jim,

I appreciate that editors have a great integrity. That is great! It helps in having an equal treatment between applicants... However I do regret that it is not possible to have a deadline for the review and the reasons why it has been rejected (as I believe editors do not let you know why a website has been rejected...)
    Also, I believe that DMOZ adopt a static point of view Vs a dynamic one. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I mean: Editors add websites after websites in the directory along the time. But I doubt the take a category and judge now or yearly which websites fit the best in this category, take off old one, add new one and so one...what was good 5 years ago might not be so fresh anymore now...

Anyway, I find DMOZ as a great ressource. It is very helpfull. I just regret that it take so long to be accepted, withtout knowing when it will be reviewed and why it might be rejected, but it is great anyway... I keep waiting for my website to be registered ;o) ( more than a year now, I am sure I am never be so close to be reviewed! ;o) ... no editors displayed in the suggested category, it does not help... ;o) )
    Take care and thank to the editors for the service anyway.

Fabzoc, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, its nice to know we are appreciated, even if we are not perfect!

Every category has more than one editor who can edit there. I guess you will find many more categories with no editor named than ones with an editor. An editor can edit in every category in the tree below where they are listed and we have over 200 editors who can edit anywhere. That still means that an editor has to chose to work in a particular category and chose to use the suggestions pool. An editor working in an area can use the resource that they think will be the best one to build up that category for end users, if they believe that is not the suggestions pool, then the suggestions have to wait for an editor who does want to use that resource.

So when editors volunteer their time, and we only ask a minimum of 1 edit every 4 months, and they can choose where and what to edit how on earth could we predict when any site will be reviewed?

You have the wrong view, if you will allow me to say so, because you seem to believe that suggestions are submissions and that editors are there to clear and list as many suggestions as fit our criteria. But that is a wrong model, we are there to build up categories for surfers who want to use collated and categorised tools. We really are not interested in what PR a link has, neither any value it might bring to the link by being listed. We pursue our hobby of collecting and categorising in areas that we have some interest and knowledge. So we are glad when people offer suggestions, but they are suggestions for an editor to take up or not.

In that theme we do not advice if a site is not used because it was only a suggestion and can you imagine the heat generated when we told someone, who thought their site was the best thing since sliced bread that we had not used their suggestion? Why not, why use this one, the whole place is corrupt.....see what I mean? Also what good would it do to tell someone we had not used their suggestion? In the vast majority of cases the only thing anyone could do if we do not use their site is start from scratch or we do not need anymore sites on that topic. Can you also imagine the heat generated if we told people that we had not used their site because.......?

If the essence of this question is that web site owners want a listing in DMOZ because of any kudos that gives the site, like Google directory, then complain to those people that they use us, we have no control of where our RDF dump is used, provided we get the correct attribution.

Anonymously, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  13. Fabzoc

Fabzoc Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with your point of view for the part of creating an interesting directory for the end user. However, In order to be comprehensive, the listing should take into account all suggestions at a certain frequence (maybe yearly) for a subcategory in order to erase old site which are not accurate anymore and give more chance for new up to date site to appear in the directory.
    And if A site is declined, It should not take so much courrage to tell it to the webmaster first, and why in 2/3 words who originally put some effort to create a website to add value to the web in the same way that DMOZ editors try to do in organizing the web in their way.
    I understand that you have no interest in the SEO aspect of listing in DMOZ. It is relatively fair from your point of view but really inequal for webmasters and honestly very difficult to accept.
    And DMOZ has been created in some way to organise the web which it does directly through it directory and google directory (which is a copy as you well know) and in a important way indirectly through the PR system and the PR of the page of the backlink from the DMOZ directory...
    I think you have a real risk in the future that it won't be accepted or even tolerated by regulations because it give an unfair treatment between the different websites, at least for commercial websites.
    If I may give an advice/suggest a rule to DMOZ executives for the durability of the directory, you should organize the shopping section in such a way to give an equal treatment to the different website ( through the application process and for the PR of the backlink aspect). I know it is hard but otherwise at some stage, I would think that some people will take DMOZ to court for a new kind of discrimination. For the rest of the directory, I do not thinkit does matter, it only represent the sensibilities of the editors of the subcategory.
    To finish, I do not know if my wording is correct to give the impression that I am standing for more justice, but that it what I am trying to say/think.
    Or maybe the solution is to take all the backlinks as nofollow, there will be far less suggestions for the editors to deal with and it will be then easier to organize for them
    + Google directory should not be allowed to replicate DMOZ and find it own solution to organize its PR system...
    Please tell me what you think?

Fabzoc, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  14. Fabzoc

Fabzoc Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with your point of view for the part of creating an interesting directory for the end user. However, In order to be comprehensive, the listing should take into account all suggestions at a certain frequence (maybe yearly) for a subcategory in order to erase old site which are not accurate anymore and give more chance for new up to date site to appear in the directory.
    And if A site is declined, It should not take so much courrage to tell it to the webmaster first, and why in 2/3 words who originally put some effort to create a website to add value to the web in the same way that DMOZ editors try to do in organizing the web in their way.
    I understand that you have no interest in the SEO aspect of listing in DMOZ. It is relatively fair from your point of view but really inequal for webmasters and honestly very difficult to accept.
    And DMOZ has been created in some way to organise the web which it does directly through it directory and google directory (which is a copy as you well know) and in a important way indirectly through the PR system and the PR of the page of the backlink from the DMOZ directory...
    I think you have a real risk in the future that it won't be accepted or even tolerated by regulations because it give an unfair treatment between the different websites, at least for commercial websites.
    If I may give an advice/suggest a rule to DMOZ executives for the durability of the directory, you should organize the shopping section in such a way to give an equal treatment to the different website ( through the application process and for the PR of the backlink aspect). I know it is hard but otherwise at some stage, I would think that some people will take DMOZ to court for a new kind of discrimination. For the rest of the directory, I do not thinkit does matter, it only represent the sensibilities of the editors of the subcategory.
    To finish, I do not know if my wording is correct to give the impression that I am standing for more justice, but that it what I am trying to say/think.
    Or maybe the solution is to take all the backlinks as nofollow, there will be far less suggestions for the editors to deal with and it will be then easier to organize for them
    + Google directory should not be allowed to replicate DMOZ and find it own solution to organize its PR system...
    Please tell me what you think?

Fabzoc, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you have a private website and collect photographs and it is your hobby, who should be able to comment except yourself and others who collect them them with you? Or if you have a private directory should outsiders be able to tell you which sites to collect, how to organise them, how much of your spare time you spend in removing the thousands of spam links you will get submitted and that you have to review sites within a given period.

Perhaps the bigbrother will soon come and look at your stamp collection and tell you because you have not got enough stamps from a particular country that you have to buy them, whatever the cost or they will take your other ones away. DMOZ is a private collection on public view.

What regulations? We are a voluntary organisation, we do not charge for suggestions, we do not charge for listings and we not do so because all this is our hobby.

How many editors do you think we will have left once we tell them that they have to do 10,000 edits per year, nay tell them they have to divide the number of sites suggested by the number of editors and each editor has to review that number of sites or get booted? We are short now, we would be desperate in weeks.

But you still come at this as though we were a business or something. It is our hobby, we are amateurs, we get nothing from it and we are grateful to all editors who put in one edit every 4 months and to those who do hundreds per 4 month period.

But your last paragraph seems to focus your anger
    your grouse about DMOZ is basically because Google use us for their directory and some say as part of their algorithms. Then go argue with them, ask them why they use us as their directory of choice, but I suspect if they answer it will be because we do work on this model. They are not interested in directories that list all and sundry, they like directories that make up their minds about listing a site, just because the directory believes that it will be a good site for the end user. They seem to like directories that have no concern for PR, age, market leader, flash up to date construction and we fill the bill. But that is entirely their choice, nothing to do with us.

Anonymously, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  16. Fabzoc

Fabzoc Peon

Best Answers:
    You miss completely the point.
    First I only wanted to have a reflexion with other peope about DMOZ and never wanted it to turn DMOZ editors against the rest of the world.
    However to reply to you point by point.
    I agree DMOZ is a private organisation and as such should be allow to do anything legal. But this does stop at the point where it has a public consequences as it implies on listings from SEPOV. (My stamp collection collects dust on my shelf but has no public consequences as opposite as DMOZ)
    If what you claim is right: "DMOZ editors are passionate people and DMOZ directory only aim at giving end users editors organisation view". then DMOZ should opt for "no follow" obl and they should not allow google directory to replicate dmoz diretory. And doing so,DMOZ editors would be really free to do whatever they want the way thay want whenever they want.
    All what i wanted to say is: all website does not receive an equal treatment, which is fair as you are a private organisation and so one, but it is not fair for online businesses because having a dmoz baclink or not makes a difference, and therefore I wanted to have this discussion because at some point regulations will look into this discrimination aspect and will try to do something for more equality. And that what the idea of having this open discussion.
    Concerning the part of the DMOZ directory which does not concern the shopping subcategory, I fully agree with you that DMOZ editors are completely free to do whatever you want.
    makes sense ?

Fabzoc, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Eh, sorry, the Open Directory is called 'Open' because it produces an RDF dump for anyone to use. It's a bit difficult to produce it so Google can't use it. And then would it be 'Open'?

But why don't you ask the people who PROVIDE the backlinks why they discriminate against the businesses that are not listed?

Lastly if we were to have legal action does that mean that we have to list every single business and shopping site on the net, because otherwise we would be discriminating against some, can you begin to guess how many sites we would need to list and what sort of capacity would we need. Or are you just talking about us discriminating against your site?

Anonymously, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    She is partly right! At least the part about taking Google issues up with Google. And unlike the ODP, google actually CARES about it's end user!

You can contact them here: http://www.google.com/contact/

(Now show me the contact info for the ODP)

Qryztufre, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  19. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you get any human reply from Google?
    DMOZ does have its own public forum
    http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/

Plus at all of the categories there are the editors name where you can send an email. Don't expect a reply though ;)

wptheme, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That forum is no more official then Digital Point... read the fine print. And if you look hard enough, you can get actually assistance from Google, I have in the past at least.

Qryztufre, Apr 6, 2010 IP