1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any alternative for Dmoz?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bjsk2020, Sep 6, 2011.

Its very tough to get listed in dmoz directivory . So do anyone knows which can be the best alternative for dmoz?

bjsk2020, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  2. aninfo

aninfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What change do you think you will notice once your website will get listed in Dmoz?

aninfo, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  3. patrick0001

patrick0001 Member

Best Answers:
    The alternative would be yahoo directory, but it is also hard to achieve free listing. Recently I have submit my listing to Joeant directory so far all my site is listed.

patrick0001, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  4. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to me Dmoz listing is not so important nor directory submission rather add more content to your website, follow onpage and offpage optimisation tactics and be active on relevant forums for better traffic and publicity.

Markwebuk, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is no longer being actively updated. My suggestion would be to seek other directories that are actually actively being updated.

Mia, Sep 7, 2011 IP
    Focl likes this.
  6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jeremy, no idea why you keep saying that. There are still editors adding stuff there daily. It isn't growing because the adds are offset by the deletions by the linkbot (it's over a decade old, showing its age), so it's makeup changes without it's size varying significantly.

I explained the issues they face in more detail in the thread stickies at the top of the sub forum of this one created for such discussion, but the short answer is the volunteer model hasn't scaled well to the size and IMO they missed some great opportunities to make changes to the model to keep it from deteriorating... But yeah, sites are still being added there.

That said, agonizing over a submission there is a huge waste of energy. There are not enough editors to maintain *properly* a directory with over a million categories, so spend the few minutes it takes to submit and then walk away and do marketing for your site in some controllable fashion. If it gets added, great. There isn't some deep secret to getting a site added and even if there were, getting added isn't Going to magically transform anyones life.

robjones, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  7. rayhanwm

rayhanwm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    rayhanwm, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess my point was meant as an experiment and not something that I am fixated on, or even care much about. I have several sites listed in DMOZ, all of which were listed without my suggesting them. To that end, I don't really care either way about the current submission.

My point was meant to illustrate the fact that legitimate sites that are content rich and fit perfectly into the criteria required are completely ignored while new sites that qualify as crap or MFA are also not being accepted.

While I can certainly accept the fact that there is likely an over abundance of submissions that greatly outweighs the number of editors, I'm still perplexed as to how some categories can go unedited for several years. There is a pecking order in terms of the editing process and when it comes down to it there's always one cog in that wheel that slows or completely halts the process. Having been an editor there; I know and can attest to it.

There have been several very ambitious and eager editors there over the years that have found that in order to edit, approve, remove or otherwise clean up a given category requires several people. And again, when one of those people is not a team player, it becomes counterproductive to the point that the other people involved in the process give up, or are let go.

There's a lot more that can be done with regards to the ODP IMO. Either way, as you indicated, there is nothing magical about getting listed. And no, there is no deep secret involved in getting listed. As I said, every site I have listed was never submitted by me. My only intention was to play devils advocate and illustrate the following fact:

All the people whining and bitching day in and day out here on DP and everywhere else about how they cannot get their site listed, or asking the same question over and over about how long it takes to get listed is annoying as all hell.

For years all I have heard here is "how long does it..." and there are 1,000s of threads like it here. It's just ridiculous.

And for all the 1,000s of threads and whiners the crap they expect to get listed is worthy of no more recognition than the fly by night server it's hosted on.

The ultimate point? There is no obviously no clear parallel between a MFA site not getting listed and a Content Rich site getting listed. The editing team, where it exists makes no special effort to deny one site over another by way of bypassing the order in which one was submitted. But rather treats all sites as equally worthless until such time as time and the process dictates otherwise.

In other words, what do you want for free?

Mia, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  9. anutdu

anutdu Peon

Best Answers:
    Its yahoo directory.

anutdu, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  10. andres73

andres73 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it would be too selective dmoz and now lost all its usefulness.

I do not even try and enlist my pages in this directory.

I think it's a monster too big to close but also to keep it and the idea of ​​free labor and I think it fits. should have opted for payment systems like wikipedia for workers.

andres73, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  11. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I submit my directory to domz some months ago.
    Then I got 8 hits from it in 6 days.
    Don't you think this is waste of time for how many editors ?

nonar, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  12. MichaelTSP

MichaelTSP Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,nonar, in the past it was important to get listed in DMOZ and Yahoo directory because it helped your sites ranking in the search engines. Does anyone know if this is still true? Is it now a waste of time as nonar suggests?

MichaelTSP, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  13. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because of this difficulty to get listed Google still values links coming from DMOZ. Almost all the other directories have lost the link value after the Panda update. I don't think there is any alternate for DMOZ.

unknownpray, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  14. turkishhomes

turkishhomes Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you mean exactly by alternative. Yes there are options such as Yahoo Directory but of course it isn't free so if you are looking for something that is, and has the same authority as Dmoz, then unfortunately the answer appears to be no. It was that same search that brought me here.

turkishhomes, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  15. Samrath Gupta

Samrath Gupta Member

Best Answers:
    If you submit your website at right place then definately your website will get listed !! Yes sometimes it take time but be assured that if your website isn't breaing any TOS then it will be listed ;)

Regards
    ~Sam~

Samrath Gupta, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  16. turkishhomes

turkishhomes Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry Sam but I have to disagree.
    Many categories do not have an active editor, which means that an editor further up the line is responsible. That editor may have thousands of submissions to consider and many may never reach the top of the pile, especially as editors are voluntary and may only have a few hours a month spare to spend on editing.
    Also, even if a submission meets the guidelines and there is an active editor there is no guarantee of acceptance. If the category is already served by existing sites and the submitted site does not (in the view of the editor) add anything new to the directory, it won’t get listed. Editors are not interested in providing backlinks for sites, only in the directory for its own sake.

turkishhomes, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  17. s_kumar

s_kumar Guest

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is a open directory project it is complete human edited directory. if your site list in Dmoz directory this is increase your site SERP and traffic. Realy tough work to list you site in DMOZ.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Please visit our dry cleaner services:
    Dry cleaners Essex | Dry cleaners London

s_kumar, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  18. wspeedupw

wspeedupw Peon

Best Answers:
    I think yahoo directory would be the best

wspeedupw, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  19. SEOHelix

SEOHelix Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory Listing is useless because the link itself will not generate any traffic to your website, which is the goal. The only reason to link to a directory is if the directory has high PR or rank that would benefit your website. Spend your time on getting your name out, rather than hiding it in a directory.

SEOHelix, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  20. Strategic eMarketing

Strategic eMarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't focus all my energy on one aspect of getting noticed on the internet. There are many different avenues of gaining traffic.

Strategic eMarketing, Dec 5, 2011 IP