1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anti Trust on DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Dominic, May 17, 2005.

1. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Alucard,

What purpose would it serve? DMOZ can't check their own links? I'm supposed to help editors fix their categories when they won't take the time to reply to an email? When DMOZ editors can come to this forum and chastise me for getting a second opinion on a question I asked in RZ? Hehe. What I should do is PM the dead links to people who want DMOZ links, as far as I can tell, DMOZ can't pick up dead links, let alone redirects.

Perhaps I'll fix up the script a bit and post it here. Takes a while to run, but it's fun. Maybe we can all work together and see exactly how many dead links DMOZ has up right now. Then determine what its worth is.

nddb, May 19, 2005 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad that is going well for you, how many domains did you pick up? My 4 DMOZ listed domains still show different anti-DMOZ forums and sites. :D

gworld, May 19, 2005 IP
  3. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I exaggerated and I apologise... was just sick of seeing a dmoz bashing thread at the top of the directories forum every other day. (another exaggeration? possibly) I honestly do think though these threads serve little to no purpose other than for people to redundantly vent their personal frustrations, make sweeping generalisations and conduct personal attacks on editors. And now, anti-trust cases and reporting them to the IRS, against a free service supplied by volunteer editors? Seriously, come on...

davedx, May 20, 2005 IP
  4. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason there is a dmoz bashing thread every couple of days is purely out of frustration (I think ).
    People talk about a community (I'll ask again which one).
    If the community are the people who submit aswell as the editors, then dmoz isn't serving the communtity.
    For dmoz to remain useful it needs to change/grow. To say that this is the way it's allways been and always will be is ridiculous - that sort of thinking WILL kill it off. Unless you've got a fantastic (Way ahead of it's time) product, you change or you die.
    DMOZ, needs a) some way of giving out status type info, b) any dead links removing.
    That way it has a fighting chance of remaining useful.

jlawrence, May 20, 2005 IP
  5. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that to stop people getting ulcers about it, DMOZ should be ignored as much as possible.

Yes, it probably needs to change, but for your own health, when it come to submitting sites you need to:
    1. Construct a web site that fulfils the needs of your customers/visitors
    2. Submit to DMOZ, in the appropriate category, following the guidelines
    3. Forget about it for a year.

If, after a year you site still isn't in, submit again, maybe to a slightly different category

If, on the other hand, it has been accepted, BONUS.

The way things are going, DMOZ might not exist in its current format in a year anyway.

egdcltd, May 20, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, that's what sitetutor was trying to tell everyone a couple of weeks back when he was trying to get people over to his blog and his forum to do it his way...

There's a flaw in that conclusion, though: Look at the number of DMOZ editors popping up in these DP threads and getting all hot and bothered... we're at least rattling a few chains, though I don't expect any real change. Rumor has it they've closed down part(s) of the Resourceless Zone (finally) -- is it possible that's because of the negative publicity? I don't think it hurts the cause of those who are upset with DMOZ... now if we could only get Google to listen...

And finally, even if being able to vent is the ONLY outcome of these threads, it's worth it... it's not like you can go to DMOZ or RZ and vent and expect any satisfaction...

minstrel, May 20, 2005 IP
  7. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    gworld,

Just the one. =) There's many more dns down domains than there are expired. I think they do check for expired, but there's a lot coming up for expiration soon. (of course you've got redemption period and all that crap... so we'll see if they get kicked if they don't re-register.)

nddb, May 20, 2005 IP
  8. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    alucard - from another small sample, these were down. I don't know for how long, I checked them twice over the course of today, with wget and dig (dupes are in two categories, most likely, I don't write the best scripts in the world... heh).

These did not resolve, many more failed to connection timeout, but they were resolving to an IP, so could be sporadic problems, or something between me and them. The best way would be to get data from google, since it's crawling all these sites frequently anyway, why not have them pass that data to dmoz? Something is down for a couple weeks, take it out of dmoz automatically until google sees that it's back up (then check content to make sure it's the same site... heh)?

www.herbaldave.com
    www.quest4self.com
    www.avcweb.com
    www.pracsmart.com
    soulconnection.org
    www.tibetanmedical.com
    www.vitalstar.com
    www.mascot.altervista.org
    www.pneumoworld.org
    www.sextraps.com
    www.imind.org
    www.fitnesspastfifty.com
    www.caringmatters.dial.pipex.com
    morehair.com
    www.accesscarecanada.com
    www.bluchip.com
    www.interconrecruiters.com
    www.libertyinter.com
    medstaffinternational.com
    www.nursejobfind.com
    www.nutritionalbiomedicine.com
    www.nutrition-guide.net
    scienceoflongevity.com
    www.foundationforcancersurvival.com
    www.tamushsc.edu
    www.altmacdegen.com
    www.withonevoice.org
    www.bflsupport.com
    www.weightlossfreenez.com
    www.amnesty.org
    www2.health-center.com
    spanda.com
    www.herbsathome.com
    equinemanualtherapy.org
    cvma-acmv.org
    www.pignewsletter.com
    www.cat-box.net
    pioneerequine.com
    www.quincyweb.net
    www.shreedhanwantri.com
    themoretway.wmnsnetbiz.com
    www.lauraperry.com
    www.biofeedbackcenter.net
    www.coachingtransition.com
    ricciroberts.com
    www.changingtides.org
    www.disabilitiescoach.com
    www.vibrancecoach.com
    awakeningheartministries.com
    www.energyreadings.com
    rife.org
    siskeene.com
    nash.best.vwh.net
    www.nmtworkshop.com
    www.meditationisland.com
    www.nevadaosteopathic.com
    reflexology.aromapost.com
    www.reflexologyschools.com
    www.icondata.com
    www.acne-rx-skincare.com
    www2.adhdlivingguide.com
    www.pathofhope.healingwell.com
    www.saveaheartfoundation.org
    www.aniridia.info
    www.ccid.org
    www.ameripros.org
    www.kidneywa.org
    strength-l.mankins.us
    www.herbsnow.com
    www.aamcc.org
    www.hbroussais.fr
    hepatology.aasldjournals.org
    lts.aasldjournals.org
    www.safecosmeticsurgery.com
    psychmeds.healingwell.com
    anxietyhelp.healingwell.com
    www.effectivequestions.com
    bereavementandhealing.org
    www.majacreations.com
    widows-and-widowers.com
    www.greatergreenbayga.com
    www.reitox.net.pl
    www.cocaineresearch.org
    www.yourselfhelpprocess.com
    www.tanline.net
    lorainesacademy.net
    www.dentalclasses.com
    www.hipaacompliancemanual.com
    birthwithlisa.com
    www.theemergencyresponsefoundation.org
    www.srph.tamushsc.edu
    norcalorgantransplant.com
    laborsofluv.com
    www.carersalternative.com
    www.carersalternative.com
    www.seniors-first.com
    www.tcdirectory.org
    stepsalanostl.org
    www.scanlonspharmacy.com
    www.gynelase.com
    www.resienv.com
    www.cordaroneiv.com

Code (markup):
    Out of those, this handful did not have whois entries. Although one cannot register them yet, redemption period i assume or pending delete.

interconrecruiters.com
    nursejobfind.com
    pignewsletter.com
    norcalorgantransplant.com
    carersalternative.com

Code (markup):

Granted, these sites may be only temporarily down and may come back up. But a lot of them will be bought by people selling domains that are listed in DMOZ, and DMOZ will never know. (They have yet to remove several redirects.)

This site for instance : themoretway.wmnsnetbiz.com

Doesn't have an entry in archive.org since Jan 2004. The SE's don't have it cached either. How does that happen?

nddb, May 20, 2005 IP
  9. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    These appear to be up for registration now :

interconrecruiters.com
    nursejobfind.com
    pignewsletter.com <-- don't see this in dmoz anymore though.

Heh. I should reg them, cept this post is up here now, don't worry there's plenty more.

nddb, May 21, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Those are some good finds, nddb. Imagine a few years from now if things don't get better within DMOZ. Maybe if Google drops DMOZ, editors will have more time to clean things up but then again not many people will care about DMOZ anymore. Seems to me that editors have zero help from above as well. If AOL really cared, they would have at least found some problems and attempted to help fix those.

Mike

Blogmaster, May 21, 2005 IP
  11. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, you'd think google or aol could interact at some level that would alert dmoz when domains have been down for a certain period of time. Oh well, hopefully google will drop dmoz, the (unfair) advantage will be gone (as will the obnoxious editors). The good editors will move on and do something else more productive, hopefully.

nddb, May 21, 2005 IP