1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Another round of bans going on

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by SEO Jeff, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ohhh and I will give this little secret away which I had been hording but screw Yahoo now

Financial category paying huge!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Thunder

look at ja (Jack Ass????) thread post count and it seems he just came by to dump on people.....

Sem-Advance, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  2. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    The success of the YPN programs depends on the advertisers seeing a return on thier investment. Getting a ton of non converting clicks from pimpmycrappypspacewhatever.com doesn't help which is why yahoo is removing those publishers from the network. If advertisers can't make money they will stop advertising which means less money for publishers and Yahoo.

Run Yahoo ads on sites that will convert the traffic. Financial ads for example should go on a financial site. Ect.

However, after the beta terminated publishers are allowed to rejoin.

IamNed, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Valid points I think many of us know...Financial offerings certainly apply to college aged myspace users seeking first time credit...else wise the ole CTR would say that it was the wrong targeting and to go look for something like concert tickets which did not convert with the same demographic (that doesnt make sense but thats another topic for another thread)

My problem is the way publishers are treated by Yahoo..some get calls and others get cold emails.....there is definitely an issue there for any lawyer with a hankering to make some major money or at least, a name for themselves.

Dsicrimination is against the law no matter how one tries to candy coat it...

there is not to be a preferential treatment of people due to race and and all sorts of other varied reasons... so to then there should not be different treatment for publishers or advertisers or whatever have you.

Now we also have to ask ourselves if Yahoo does not want clicks from overseas...then why is the onus on publishers to install Geo Targeting software???

When Yahoo with deep pockets COULD & SHOULD use the software themselves. :mad: to stop ads from being displayed overseas....perhaps Yahoo saw $$$$ and turned a blind eye...

4. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    im pretty sure you cant file suit against ypn. its clearly labeled in the tos that they can terminate for any reason whatsoever, whether justified or not. however, i agree with you on many of your points.

as for geotargetting, the real question is not why they put it on our shoulders. the real question is, why do they show ads on my sites from uk and canadian websites, when canadian and uk clicks dont count? the fact is, they are not stopping ads from showing to international countries (even though they so easily could), but they are not giving credit to clicks from international countries. even repeat (within x time period) US clicks are not being credited.

as for preferential treatment of people based on whatever, its been that way since the beginning. only US publishers. this is pure discrimination in itself. but that is how it is and we accepted it when we agreed to the tos.

i know you are venting, these people are full of it and we all know it.

jmo

karagold, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  5. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    You are right I am venting....

and they are full of _ _ i t

Peace!

6. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    SEM-advance, you just got terminated today or?

Ferrarislave, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    and paypal has it clearly labeled in their tos that they can terminate your account and keep your balance for whatever reason whatsoever but that didn't stop that fiasco ;-)

disgust, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:

Last week after a week of back and forth with Yahoo.

9. ja76

ja76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya sure, I'll "define" it for you (as if it was not clear enough).

Relevants ads for these MySpace sites were non-existant, both the publishers and Yahoo knew that. These RON ads are the reason that CPC's were so high because there were no ads to suit the MySpace sites/demographic. Unlike Google, Yahoo does not have enough advertisers to meet all niches, therefore sites that were displaying irrelevant ads should have been terminated long ago.

If you don't consider displaying ads of little-to-no relevancy on your site, resulting in thousands of dollars in losses to advertisers as "cheating an advertiser", then you need to re-evaluate what it is to be ethical.

ja76, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  10. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    why do people come up here and preach about ethics, rip on other people and generally complain about everything with their 2 posts. if you are going to preach and call people, thieves, liars and whatever else, have the balls to do it under your real username.

jmo i dont use ad targetting - so dont even bother me with your holy attitude

karagold, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    and if they don't, report their posts and the mods will do their thing...

sarahk, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Amazing you know what I, other publishers, & Yahoo considered relevant in a completely new market........

Where did you get your crystal ball????

Next the ads were passing high CPC due to advertisers paying good money to advertise...no other reason...If they pay low CPC will be low....Again advertisers in YSM submit their ads...not I nor any publisher nor Yahoo creates the ads...

Next you have no clue as to how many advertisers Yahoo has.....so to make a statement like that is inane.

As wise as you try & pass yourself off for.... you left out a part critical piece of the equation......

Advertisers......... I guess those people are morons and had no idea where their ads were running .....:rolleyes:

I don't consider displaying what some advertiser created as cheating them as I did not force them to decide to advertise with Yahoo or any other company.

Not every ad on television, radio, in newspapers, magazines, and billboards works well....this is not publishers cheating advertisers but rather poor advertising decisions...

You have now been schooled a bit on a subject you know not very much about :D

PS were you banned from DP???? I have a feeling you were

13. ja76

ja76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think several months of seeing irrelevant ads is enough to understand that ads are not RELEVANT AT ALL. No crystal ball needed.

You think advertisers were paying high money to advertise on MySpace sites? I don't think so. The RON ads showed because there were no relevant ads, meaning ads with higher CPCs were showing.

If you need justification that Google has more advertisers than Yahoo, then you are really hopeless.

I used to be a Yahoo advertiser, and I stopped advertising with Yahoo after several of my ads showed up on these MySpace sites. I even complained to Yahoo about the problem and after sometime, it was resolved with the banning of most MySpace resource sites. Most advertisers were not aware of the situation, Yahoo did not make it very public (wonder why) and advertisers who use Yahoo don't have the option of "opting-out" their ads on YPN, so they'd have to close their accounts all together. For some, this is unrealistic and left them in an unfair situation. To say that it is completely the advertisers fault shows a great deal of ignorance on your part.

When someone advertises on radio/tv/etc.. they know what demographic they are getting. CPC advertising defines demographics by keywords, if even keywords are not used to show relevant ads on relevant sites, then what use is it to show an ad to a general populous when it was clearly meant to be targetted to a certain audience?

You can blame anyone you want but when you see ads on your "MySpace Layout Site" for Real Estate and just let the money roll in, knowing that the advertiser would clearly be against this, you are being unethical.

I don't need to be an established poster to make claims of ethics, just read my argument. I roam these forums but usually never post. I didn't just create this account to conceal some identitiy, it was created several months back.

ja76, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  14. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, you make so many points. and in most of them you are right and then absolutely wrong.

i think you are taking your frustrations out on the wrong people. we did not create the YPN targetting categories. YPN did. they gave publishers the ability to target their pages any way they like and they reserved the right to terminate if they didnt convert. YPN even went the extra step and said, hey, US traffic only please. US Publishers only. we're testing!

Speaking of ethics. It is not wrong to use the tools that YPN gives publishers. Obviously, they want publishers to be able to target their sites/pages to categories that do not contextually match up with their sites and pages. otherwise, they wouldnt give the ability. and if that ability is supposed to be on the honor system (used only when your site wont target, please only target honestly), then that is stupid on their part. people put ads to make money. they are giving away their traffic to another site. its about money.

And, in case you werent aware (not sure if you are a publisher or not), RON ads pay and convert like crap. endless posts about pages that wont target, pages that will only show RON. blaming the wrong people.

As for advertisers, they completely have the ability to not show in publisher ad blocks, set their bids, daily budgets, monthly budgets, etc. if an advertiser is blindly spending their money without understanding the system which they are giving their money... well there are a few ways to describe people like that.

again, jmo - i dont use ad targetting and i dont have myspace sites.

karagold, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  15. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont reply to this stupid thread - people got banned - ok move on. It will turn into another 30 page back and forth playground.

Ferrarislave, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  16. footodors

footodors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I googled "myspace layouts" and found some sites displaying ypn.
    a top 15 site and their 4 ypn ads were about:

"day trading", :eek:
    "Myrtle Beach investments", :eek:
    "employee stock options" ,:eek: and finally
    "expert currency day trading":eek:

How can advertisers afford this?

footodors, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  17. ja76

ja76 Peon

Best Answers:
    "Obviously, they want publishers to be able to target their sites/pages to categories that do not contextually match up with their sites and pages."

Ask Yahoo that, see what they think. They want you to use it on relevant sites beacuse their content matching systems are not up to par to Googles.

Just because a noted authority figure gives you the tools to be unethical does not justify it anymore. If you think it does, you are just kidding yourself. Your justification is the fallacy of authority my friend, and to argue for it is useless.

Google's RON ads pay like crap, YPN's don't. Most MySpace sites either display irrelevant ads, or these RON ads.

I don't think you are an advertiser but if you do know how to opt-out of YPN let me know, I've been searching for it for quite some time.

ja76, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  18. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    turn off or edit your content match. its right there on the very first page when you log in to YSM.

not sure what ypn ron's (vonage, etc) you think pay so much, but maybe what you think is alot is what i think is crap. doesnt matter. dont tell me.

no justifications needed. i dont use ad targetting. it is the responsibility of the network to define and enforce ethics. not the publisher.

asking yahoo, ad categories are used to display alternative ad categories that YOU feel your visitors may ALSO be interested in AND / OR to provide better targetting of ads than the contextual engine is delivering.

and yes, i am an advertiser. and no, i dont allow my ads on publisher sites.

as always,

karagold, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  19. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure but sem-advance said the money stuff paid really high and when I took off targeting YPN showed loan ads and I was like come on Yahoo so maybe that's what ja76 is thinking.

SEO Jeff, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Dear ja

I am both a publisher and advertiser.

ow I can speak from both sides of the coin where you know only one side.

I am not a fool I do not hop in and drive 150 mph whether it be at a drag strip with a new car or publishing a website ...I test, test some more and test even more

...now I can make 2 cents per click in the books category which was not very targeted in my opinion and that of my users who never clicked those ads... or 20 cents per click in financial which seemed much more targeted as that is what drew the most clicks. :rolleyes:

Next I do not select the ads to display on my site in Google or Yahoo, I select a category..the ads displayed are Google or Yahoos responsibility.

If you look I also run affiliate ads and again the Ad network offers a full plate of various offers and it is then my decision to select the ads to display on my sites..

No ethics come into play here...just thoughts and learning of what works and what doesn't... often time I find what does not work more often than I find what does work ....for some strange reason.

I also advertise and as many other advertisers, with the possible exception of yourself, I know some of my money will be wasted. That is business and the cost of doing business...I have wasted money on designers PPC hosting and a varied cornucopia of other business related issues...do I then lump all designers or webhosts into a barrel of shite????

No

If you do not like what occurs when you advertise...

I would suggest backing the chair away from the desk, pick up the nearest newspaper classified ads,, and look for a job where you do not have to worry of business concerns others of us take joy in addressing day in and day out.....

I would suggest you use a job classified board... but you might click an ad by mistake for a job you are not qualified for... and we both would hate to see you waste a fellow advertisers money..:rolleyes:

Best wishes

Sem-Advance, Nov 7, 2006 IP
    Ferrarislave likes this.