1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Another Dumb Question - HTML file names

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004.

As I mentioned elsewhere I've been at this a month and have seen an increase in SERPS for my key term from 50 to 20 on my index.htm so I am fairly chuffed. However, given that recip links are difficult to find for my market I am now thinking of playing with other things to see the boost.

Whats the feeling of how much weight Google gives to the HTML file name and directory. Given that my primary keyword phrase is "timesheet software" how much benefit am I going to get from renaming my index.htm to timesheet_software.htm ?

Mark

mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  2. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    It is probably unwise to play with your actual front page title. But other pages and directories will certainly not suffer, and you may well gain, from renames that use relevant words. (Just don't go crazy and try to stuff a thesaurus into every page and directory name.)

Also, be aware that there is a well-populated school of thought that hyphens work better than underlines for separating words in file/dir names. (There is also a minority report to the effect that Google dislikes them--ya pays yer money an' ya takes yer chances.)

Owlcroft, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  3. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    OK thanks, I was very nervous about messing with this file as this is the source of almost all my SERPS rankings and obviously the lions share of my PR too. I'll play with some of the product pages and see what eventuates.

Thanks again,

Mark

mnemtsas, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind that if you have existing backlinks to any pages other than your front page, you should put 301 redirects up if you rename those linked-to pages, so you don't lose the benefit of the links. (There have been several explanations at various times here and there on the forum how to do redirects.)

Owlcroft, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  5. Voyager

Voyager Guest

Best Answers:
    Early this year, I changed my filenames from 01.shtml, 02.shtml, etc... to keyword.shtml, keyword-keyword.shtml, and keyword-keyword-keyword.shtml.

Traffic doubled.

Of course, your newly renamed pages will show PR0 for a long long time, so it can be a fairly painful process.

And, of course, my .htaccess file is *huge*.

Voyager, Jun 9, 2004 IP