1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anonymous Emailer

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Help Desk, Jul 26, 2004.

I am thinking of creating an anonymous emailler. Although anonymous, I would have to track the email AND IP address. The only reason I would have to do this is in case of death threats or other improper things.

I would really like to give people the means to blow the whistle on an embezzling boss, or to tell slackers to get to work.

What other ramifications would I need to consider?

Help Desk, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well if you are logging IP address and the email itself, it really wouldn't be all that anonymous, would it? :)

One problem you may have is spammers using it.

digitalpoint, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  3. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Truly anonymous? No, but I would be the only one that knew the ip address from where you came from. As long as you're not breaking the law, it would never be given up.

Some sort of Confirmation Number in an Image would definitely be needed though.

Help Desk, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I could see it being a problem unless you released it to a small audience. Youll get a lot of 12 year old warez kids on there sending emails to girls in their class as someone else.

schlottke, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I am not mistaken, I believe it is illegal to log those IP unless you are the ISP? Pretty sure that is the case up here in the great white north.

NewComputer, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not illegal to log IP addresses. Every web server does it every time you view a page. Every post in this (and every vBulletin forum) logs the IP address the person used when they made a post.

digitalpoint, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  7. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I've created my Anonymous Emailer. I looked into image verification to prevent spam but there wasn't an easily findable drop-in solution.

Besides, if I have to track the IP addresses anyway, why not just stop flooding? I limited the number of emails sent to be 5 per day per IP address. My feeling is that I can block the IP ranges faster than somebody can get them.

If it's abused or gets me in trouble, I'll simply end it.

Help Desk, Jul 28, 2004 IP