1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Annual Fees Rock; One-Off Fees are for the Quick Buck Crew

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, May 20, 2007.

1. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    well most of the major directories charge a recurring fee.

As your site gets older you get more traffic.

We started out with 20 visitors a day, and now are upto 250 with 1300 pageviews a day.

Soon our hosting company is gonna tell us, we gotta move to a dedicated server cause we're taking up too many resources.

Sites listed have to be reviewed.

Furthermore, to keep up with competition, there is always programming work required.

I have seen alot of 1 time fee directories fall in the 1 1/2 years I have been running a directory.

It's not long term planning.

again, just my opinion

adnan, May 22, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  2. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you made me laugh :D

ys...I plan to set my www.dirwizard.com anuual link when it hits a higher level. :cool:

xc06, May 22, 2007 IP
  3. chinadirectory

chinadirectory Peon

Best Answers:
    totally a excuse of annual fees.

why don't you increase the one time fee instead to cover the server cost and other cost?

:D

chinadirectory, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  4. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    Well were surviving even with the recurring fees. Past 3 months were kinda real good that I actually could afford help in maintenance work, while I programmed a little search indexing feature coming next week.

And traffic is soaring.

If you've got quality software, people will recognize it and pay the recurring fee.

adnan, Jun 29, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  5. Business Blogger

Business Blogger Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, folks, I have to get my two cents in on this one. If you think a directory is worth submitting to and paying an annual fee then by all means pay away. If you don't like it then go somewhere else.

If a directory is charging an annual fee then they are probably putting something back into the directory itself, not to mention keeping spam and other crap sites out.

It's up to the individual, no one is going to force you to buy something you don't want. I will submit to directories, annual fee and permanent listing, depending on the quality of the directory, but that's me. Do what you will.

Business Blogger, Aug 7, 2007 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  6. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone has the right to conduct business as they see fit. Some webmasters may have a bigger overhead than others, so no one is really wrong.

However, I think BOTW does it best. They offer both yearly and permanent listing options.

A yearly PR6 listing for $49.95 is a bargain considering a lot of people spend $299 for a yearly at Yahoo which may barely fetch a PR3 or less.

steveb, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  7. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Market will decide if your listings fees are fair :)
    I don't see Alive and Aviva having problems on getting submissions.

! Ask !, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  8. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Fair enough but directories will have to start passing significant traffic before they can justify charging any sort of annual renewal fees. Not many if any pass anything but trade traffic.

For example I use other directories to find the content I add to mine and whilst there is a benefit to the listed sites it also exposes the weaknesses of human nature and the inherent flaws in the review system.

workshop, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  9. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Calling one-time fee directory owners the quick buck crew doesn't make much sense to me. Taking my directory as an example, I have a one time fee, good traffic, good incoming links.

But I list relatively few sites. I don't know how many submissions I get a month, but I reject at least 75% of them (no one pays until after I review the site). In two or three years or whatever I think I have 1100-1200 listings.

Am I in the quick buck crew? Or the better value crew?

jim, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What knocks me flat are the directories charging anything from $50 to $200 a year to review the MFA sites they list. Could you ask that question about the QBC again? I didnt quite catch it the first time around. :eek:

workshop, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  11. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think its ridiculous to say that those charging non-annual fees as being part of QBC. As a matter of fact, I think those who charge annual fees are actually part of the QBC, they are ripping the money off submitters who have already provided a good submission and they have to pay for that SAME submission every year? Its ok if they are large directories like Aviva or Alive as such directories are known for their brand. However, smaller directories have no justification to charge annual fees at all.

Ibn Juferi, Aug 21, 2007 IP