1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Annual Fees Rock; One-Off Fees are for the Quick Buck Crew

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, May 20, 2007.

1. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My sites are considerably small in comparison with Aviva, Alive, Directory Dump, eWebPages and V7N but I am trying to do the best I can for its promotions. Its costly and I have to pay editors too. I may not give traffic for subscribers but I hope it gives a quality linkback as some have said.

Thanks

popotalk, May 21, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  2. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Of course it is a problem. You seem to be talking on behalf all the directories that accept one-time payments. :eek:

Talk about your own directories and don't talk on behalf of everyone else. :eek:

maldives, May 21, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes -QUALITY LINKBACK. Thats what I mean when I say prices of a directory listing should depend on the quality of the link you get from it.

Guys --lets just be honest--- How many submitters -submit to a directory purely for traffic purpose directly from that particular directory? I would say those type of webmasters are in the MINORITY.My sites are not listed on DMOZ --so I am not aware of the traffic it sends. It would been very interesting to know from the experts of link prices.

So the main purpose of listing in a directory is to get strong backlink --to imrpove SERPs --and most of us know which links are valuable.

Almost certainly the Googlebot would value a PR1 backlink from Yahoo Dir and DMOZ than a PR3 backlink from my poor PR3 directory.

So are we comparing Alive/Aviva with V7N or for that matter any other normal PR6 directory? NO WAY. As my understanding goes Google will balue a PR1 backlink from Alive more than a PR3 backlink from my PR6 directory. Why?
    Simple Alive is much --much stronger and an AUTHORITY SITE -- my directory is just a normal PR6 directory.

So I judge PRICE OF LINKS --not by other yardstick --but by the relative strength it has. To know more about what I call RELATIVE STRENGTH - one just has to analyze how Google considers each and every site--

I value John Scott as a TITAN in the Directory/SEO industry --because he is a very good judge of links from what I got after analyzing V7N. He only pays huge sums to those links which are authority in the field.

So --I am very surprised he started this PRICING DEBATE. Thats beyond my logical understanding - as the respect I have about him is totally different.:eek:

jhnrang, May 21, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I did not know Johnnie Boy and have not went to the same school with him at Yokohama I would certainly say he serious. But since I know quite a bit of John Scott he plays a lot in the backyard and he knows very well his business and the attention it needs. :)

Thanks

5. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do not talk about Google as taking a decision based on Google's Pr is only for short term

10 or 20 years down the line there may not be Google as anything can happen in WWW

We need to think about long term solutions to this problem rather than short term solutions

Talking about long term solutions

The best possible solution is to charge annually as

it indicates
    a)Directory owners commitment to market the directory
    b)making the sites in the directory popular by buying more links

The above things applies only to major directories like Aviva/Alive/V7n etc.., and not to directory in my signature!

Freewebspace, May 21, 2007 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:

Does ME qualify ?

a) Yes I think so.
    b) Is this enough or should I do more ? Inlinks 1 - 50 of about 202,947

Batteries not included

:D :D

7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    an0n, May 21, 2007 IP
  8. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well what i think is ...

that Alive / Aviva or anybody have a full right to choose when they own a web directory. So if they choose to make a directory with yearly links then its their choice... and if you submit your site there its your choice...

question about reasonable ....

if a pr = 0 and ps = 3.5 ... new site, but the owner is very well known and is trusted among others and advertise the site good, than it sounds reasonable to me...

so as a submitter i choose where to get a link from ..

so come on people lets end this fight here !!!!

Sure Aviva is a good directory and they can have a link yearly and i will pay for it because they are providing quality backlinks

but what i do not like is these calling names b/w permenant links and yearly links ...

people offering permenant links are not QBC thats the bottom line ... because Aviva / Alive started out offering permenant links ... so were they QBC in the beginning thats my question ..

i just dont think its fair for Jeff to come out in public and Call permenant link dirs QBC and John to do vice versa..

smub, May 21, 2007 IP
  9. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    you would have atleast 300-400 visitors daily

If a directory is having more than 1000 visitors it can survive any hurricane or Tsunami

and a link on that would be more worth than any other directory

10. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i want a link there too :p

how can i get one ;)

smub, May 21, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should know better smub its not reffered to all "Just for Some". :)

P.S. If you don't think you qualify as QBC don't get offended. Its only actually meant for the ones. :)

Thanks

Look sir maybe your not reading all the previous post. Its time to do it.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3196749&postcount=81

12. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    maldives, May 21, 2007 IP
  13. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like we got ourself a hot topic so maybe I need to crack one and site back for awhile.

I have to disagree with jeff in part. I disagree that just because a directory is not charging a yearly fee that they are not in it for the long run, I think that is an unfair statement towards alot of directory owners. However, I do agree that the newer directories should wait awhile before taking that route.

Now for the comments regarding over priced directories and how much they charge can be debated. Some directories are no where even close to be charging what they are charging now. As a owner I always look at the promotion side when it comes to charging the annual fees, and like I said before if a directory is pushing the cost of advertising then these fees can be justified. If you are only placing your site in sigs and a few directories here and there then I don't think you can justify a yearly cost, I don't care how many features you have.

But If I am paying $6,000 a month to be on the msn homepage then sure I can justify charging someone a $100 a year or more for a listing. But I do not agree that just because a directories database gets larger that it calls for price increase. Prices should only change if the directory has gotten more aggressive with advertising, because without good advertising no directory will last.

The truth is that if someone is paying you either $49 a year or $49 for life the bottom line is that they have paid because they found some sort of value in your site, and that is all I care about. If people like your directory then they will pay no matter what the cost is. I just had a guy buy 5 featured listings from me all at $40 a pop so that tells me alot about what some think of my directory.

And just for the record index-it.net does not expire until 26-apr-2011 so all links are safe until then and most likely beyond that. Just thought I'd slide that in.

banless, May 21, 2007 IP
  14. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    Yes,I read it

There are many directories on PR6

www.directorydump.com
    www.dirsensei.com
    www.avivadirectory.com

All are on PR6

So a visitor can't differentiate between yours and Aviva

Aviva may be getting 600-800 visitors whereas yours is between 300-400

If you choose yearly option it may not be worth for you and person who is paying you as there is a greater chance of him cancelling the subscription or yearly payment if you do not send visitors to his site

So it may be better if you choose life time option and then switch to yearly if
    you have more than 700 visitors

Do not rely on PR as it is false indicator as far as directory is concerned!

Also PS(Page strength) do not show much difference

15. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    smub, May 21, 2007 IP
  16. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think alot of people are forgetting / neglecting to mention:

MOST DIR'S HAVE TO CHARGE ANNUAL FEES TO KEEP THEIR PR!!!!

They have HUGE monthly bills to keep their current PR; over the long run how will they remain PROFITABLE and keep their PR unless they charge annual fees?

Surprised no one mentioned the blatantly obvious.

Dubz, May 21, 2007 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's OK Ramanean(Freewebspace) my submitters like the juice and the uncrowdedness. :) Traffic they go for somewhere else like Downtown New York and Los Angeles is a good example or even the busy streets of Manila, Hong Kong and Tokyo. (Just Kidding) Traffic some cares and some don't. I don't. :) But in Link Sales at DP they sell for juice not TRAFFIC. :)

@banless
    Does my company TV Commercial that we are shooting here in Maryland and will be finish in the next 2 weeks with Dirsensei Web Directory on a banner behind the view QUALIFIES ? FOX45 News Commercial. :)

@smub

Yes the homepage but not this http://www.dirsensei.com/guidelines.php I don't know why ?

18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Feel free to use it whenever; especially when doing that *bu.. err reviewing thing* :D

To the promoter it is just common knowledge and never a second thought.
    To the QBC, it's something they know nothing of, hence never a mention ;)

an0n, May 21, 2007 IP
  19. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:

Of course, that is a very powerful way to advertise. I am tring to figure out how to get my site a banner behind the homeplate of the Mariners game, you know the little banner that shows when someone is up to bat.

banless, May 21, 2007 IP
  20. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yup

this is my second thought ... because later on once idk.in is fully developed and survive couple more pr updates ... it will be switched to yearly just like alive and aviva did...

unlike Rob who had dump yearly since i've seen it - but thats why he is unique in his own way ;) (You are not allowed to quote this section) becaus this is only for Rob

smub, May 21, 2007 IP