1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Animated Web Banners

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Fexxo, Sep 30, 2014.

Hi

So I am having an issue making an animated web banner.

So the dimensions are 2048x896 for Mac Retina display.

Now if I try an animated gif the file size is 1.7megs which is huge for a web banner and most of the customers that will view this will be on ADSL lines of 384kb. So that is a lot of time to wait.

Is there a better way to create one so the file size isn't so big or is it pretty impossible to bring it down to 650kb with those dimensions.

It is a two frame gif so I can't really reduce the frames anymore than I have.

Thank you

Fexxo, Sep 30, 2014 IP
  2. Nalaka Prasad

Nalaka Prasad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can use two images with some javascript to do that

Nalaka Prasad, Sep 30, 2014 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Any image that large in DIMENSIONS has no malfing business on a website in the first damned place, retina target or no. Generally speaking stupid distracting animooted BS also has no damned business on a website unless you want to implement a joke website based on every "how not to build a website" list of the past 20 years.

Pretty much it sounds like you have some artsy fartsy nonsense designed by some PSD jockey pissing on what a website is supposed to be; though that's a wild guess without seeing the image/site in question. This current trend lately of using massive animated full screen image bullshit? Does nothing but crap on the usability and accessibility of the sites it's done to.

See how Paypal pissed it's own bed with their recent main pages... even once they got rid of the painful video background crap, the new parallax design is bloated slow art faygelah bull that has no damned business on a website.

Your typical visitor is going to be on 384kbps, you have NO damned business using images larger than 256x256 on a page unless that's the CONTENT of the page.

Web banners... BAH. hand whips up ready to deliver pimp slap...

deathshadow, Oct 1, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.