1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

And google hits an ALL TIME LOW today. New info

Discussion in 'Google' started by Laceygirl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that proves they are dirty. It just proves they are not perfect (like the rest of us humans). nor is their algorithm.

indyonline, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Authority websites with lots of links have always ranked well in the SERPs. Since the penguin update I think it's obvious brands have been given a push by giving more weight to brand signals in their algorithm.

fwiw i think digitalpoint is a brand, wouldn't you think the same thing?

dcristo, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Technically I suppose... Could I walk into a bar and have anyone of heard of it... Probably not. :)

I think it's less about brands and more the fact that brands tend to have more natural links than non-brands.

digitalpoint, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Walk into a SEO conference and probably every attendee would have.

At the end of the day, the end goal is to display trusted/relevant results as that will make searcher's happy and they will keep using google for search.

dcristo, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Like with the email thing, you jump to a conclusion that is simply not supported by any facts. You call it dirty and claim they are selling serp positions, when the same results page is explained by a non-perfect algorithm. You have no facts to support your conclusion that Google is selling the serp positions or they Google is in any way dirty.

Feel free to gripe about bad serp results, God knows there is an unlimited supply of them. But before you make specific, pointed, accusations you ought to have some modicum of proof or support for those accusations. You were so certain Google was email spamming you but then changed your mind. How can you possibly be so certain they are selling serp results, especially when there is a perfectly logical explanation?

browntwn, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  6. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello! I just threw a keyword and one domain is listed like 58times for the same search results. Non perfect...Oh its perfect for big shot site owners.

Laceygirl, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  7. browntwn

Best Answers:
    That in no way shows that the serp was sold or that Google is dirty. (for the record, I see it maybe 25 times in the top 100, not 58)

You seem to make the jump that because a result is not ideal that Google is dirty. These results, at least what I see are bad because only 2 domain take up the 1st 20 results or so. After that, they seem pretty normal. This looks to be a result that their algo has simply missed the mark. That being said, all the results are relevant.

When searched a hotel one would expect the actual hotel to rank #1. After than would be reviews and or travel companies.

cedarpoint.com
    tripadvisors.com
    hotels.com
    wiki
    yelp
    travel.yahoo
    expedia
    nps.gov

I think this is a bad result because Google does not need 8 cedarpoint.com results in the top 10 and does not need 12 tripadvisors.com results in the top 20. So what? It is a bad result? They are, and bad results have always been. I will tell you what you don't see a lot of in these results though ... SPAM. Nope, not a single spammy .info domain in the top 100 results. I did not check all 100, but a quick glance shows little or no spam. All in all, these results could be a lot worse. :)

p.s. The poor city of Sandusky - they are forever linked to a child molester.

8. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, if you controlled a search engine it would clearly suck. A zillion results that are from the same main domain is totally stupid and pretty dirty.

Laceygirl, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  9. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Man, you are dense. I agree the results are bad.

That being said, a bad result does not make them "dirty" or imply that google is "selling" serp positions. It does not make a lick of sense that Google would sell that many duplicate listings or that tripadvisor would want or buy them (even in the imaginary world you live in where Google would sell serps).

As I said when I first replied to your absurd claim about Google selling your email and serp so you could be spammed ... you are a simple fool who jumps to unsupported conclusions.

10. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Selling or giving, whatever. Either way its not some google accident. They do this everywhere. Results like that are worse than Netscape results in 1996.

Laceygirl, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  11. browntwn

Best Answers:
    You are like the boy who cried wolf. Nothing you say should be taken seriously.

browntwn, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  12. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, put a sock in it, evil fiend.

Laceygirl, Jun 22, 2012 IP