1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anchor text observation

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by janecompersnews, Sep 14, 2004.

My site has been up 7 months and I've been lucky that I've not been hit by any 'sandbox' (at least I don't think so). I'm ranking quite well for my main one word keyword out of over 7,200,000 results that started way out nowhere but has slowly climbed to number 11. I made the majority of my site immediately then pressures of work kicked in and I've only added content slowly since then.

One thing I have noticed is that since the first week of June any totally new pages I've added have been indexed (the only links to those pages are on my site ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE MENU) proving that the links have been followed BUT do an allinanchor: of the link phrase and they are not to be found.

Anything BEFORE the end of May is fine.

I note that the PR update was mid-June with the 'snapshot' taken at the end of May (pages put up at the beginning of June didn't get PR) so could this be related?

Example:
    This page http://www.competitions.com.cn/promoverita$.html
    site wide link with anchor text of 'promo verita$' (change $ to s)
    http://www.google.com/search?q=allinanchor:promo+veritas&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N (I'm not actually targeting this phrase, it is set up like this for the user). This page was put on 1st June.

Now, to confuse matters, this site was only built three weeks ago http://www.winning-slogans.com/ all pages are indexed, all pages only have a link from the main page, the anchortext from the LEFT HAND SIDE MENU have not been followed (as the example above) BUT the onpage links have! See the first link to 'House for a Pound Closed 5th July 2004' http://www.google.com/search?source...anchor:HOUSE+FOR+A+POUND+Closed+5th+July+2004

Is this common?
    Have I accidently stumbled across something new?
    Do I have a problem with my onpage HTML which is causing the anchortext in my menu links to not be followed?
    Am I mental? :p

Save me from myself please.

Jane

janecompersnews, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  2. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Jane,
    No explanation for what you bring, up except observations from my weekly experience. Every week, I add new content to my site on About.com. To check that the page has been googled, I was in the practice of inserting the full URL in the google search box. If google did not find it, I would conclude that it has not been googled. But, over the past few months I have found that my new pages are found in SERPs at their rightful place, while searching them by URL continues to say no such page. This situation remains for 1-7 days. I have just learnt to live with it, as it does not hurt me as long as searchers are finding the page.
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  3. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All in anchor isn't working right, hasn't been for a while. To check if your page has been indexed, go to the page and view the cache.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  4. janecompersnews

janecompersnews Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, I understand that but what I don't understand is why the anchortext in the menu is not being followed but the anchortext elsewhere on the page is.

Is it my HTML?
    Is it something now built into the Google algo?
    Has it always been this way?

Jane

janecompersnews, Sep 14, 2004 IP