1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Analytics code maybe unseen by Google but it's there & data maybe being received

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Nick_Levinson, Aug 17, 2015.

Google repeatedly said it doesn't see the Analytics code I added to most of my pages at cold32.com, code I copied and pasted very recently, the code itself being what Google said I should use. How do I get Google to see it? I've asked on their forum (https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/analytics/FogugXU38rA/tuNLgSbz0bMJ), I emailed a replier who misunderstood, and I've repeatedly asked Google to check again, all to no avail. On the other hand, Google says "Status: Receiving Data". Should I believe that it is receiving data and therefore that it is wrong about not seeing the tracking code or should I believe that it is not seeing the tracking code and therefore that it is wrong about receiving data? Thanks.

Nick_Levinson, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  2. Aniuj Sharma

Aniuj Sharma Member

Best Answers:
    If the data being received is not unexpected (both in nature and in volume) then sure, you are getting data :)

Aniuj Sharma, Aug 19, 2015 IP
  3. Nick_Levinson

Nick_Levinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't tell, since my website is new. And I don't see analytics data separated by page; I have about 60-70 pages on my website. The same analytics code is on almost every page in the website and most of the pages are linked starting at the home page. So it's possible Google found its analytics code on my home page but not elsewhere. Google last looked for the code last night. Google search shows my content from a non-home page. Is it possible Google sees the code on the home page but not elsewhere?

Nick_Levinson, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  4. Aniuj Sharma

Aniuj Sharma Member

Best Answers:
    I do not see any problem with your setup :/

However, you mentioned that in the admin>property>tracking code the status is showing that data is being received which usually is a verification that GA is working on your property.
    It would be best if you could post the screenshot of the error once.

Aniuj Sharma, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  5. Nick_Levinson

Nick_Levinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Which thing should I get a screenshot of? At Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code, the page says "Status: Receiving Data". The Analytics Notification says, "Missing Tracking Code"/"Page cold32.com for property cold32.com is missing valid tracking code." That notification's Details link says, "No valid tracking code found for property cold32.com's default URL http://cold32.com. Make sure your pages are tagged with a supported version of the tracking code." Would something else be helpful? Thanks.

Nick_Levinson, Aug 23, 2015 IP
  6. Aniuj Sharma

Aniuj Sharma Member

Best Answers:
    Both

Aniuj Sharma, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  7. Nick_Levinson

Nick_Levinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm hoping to upload screenshots. These may be small enough for Digital Point, since, in GIMP, I scaled each to half size in each dimension and colorized (so to speak) into just black and white.

One shows a list of pages but most of them never existed; I understand they're due to spam (a visitor would be a company hoping I'm curious about who visited and then maybe I'd buy their product). There is an option to filter traffic coming from the website to the same website and I've just turned that filter off, but it shouldn't have made a difference in counting anyone landing at the site from a Google search pointing to an inside page.

Attached Files:

Nick_Levinson, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  8. Nick_Levinson

Nick_Levinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Solved, sort of. I was using Content Security Policy, a W3C specification with a later (level 3) draft at GitHub, because people at Google forum/s were saying or hinting that my CSP was a problem, and it turned out that the Chromium browser (some people used Chrome) from Google reported that as a problem. I was using an .htaccess file drafted by H5BP and that provided CSP; I edited that file repeatedly.

However, I found that CSP is incompatible with Google Analytics and probably with AdSense. I tried lots of ways in .htaccess including the default-src asterisk wildcard, but what worked was commenting CSP out completely. It's too bad, since CSP is valuable and recommended, but the conflict was a deal-killer. I assume the problem was at Google's end, so I've posted my report to a Google forum, about a week ago.

While the advice I was given elsewhere to comment CSP out was given in the context of Google Analytics, when I implemented the advice not only did I get the first page-specific non-home-page Analytics data but the first AdSense ads that I know of appeared.

It's possible the second-choice method of applying CSP, meta tags rather than <.htaccess>, might work, but I think I already tried that, too, and, besides, that would require a lot of maintenance every time I want to change a source's permission, since I have a lot of pages. Also, testing that, if it fails, would cost me ad revenue until I fix it.

Nick_Levinson, Dec 19, 2015 IP