1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

an invision power board license

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by lithman, Jul 6, 2006.

If i buy a website that has an invision power board forum on it, will I also have to buy a license for it? The owner said he wasn't aware of any licensing issues and said he got the forum before the sold licenses.

So can i just transfer the files and set everything up? or will I have to buy the license?

lithman, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  2. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What version of IPB is it?

GTAce, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  3. lithman

lithman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Ryan,

it says
    Invision Power Board v2.0.4 © 2006 IPS, Inc.

lithman, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  4. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Technically, that is only a trial version of IPB and cannot be used "indefinitely"...but the rules are vague. The only way that you can use it period is if you got it the way that the current owner has mentioned - downloaded from IPS when they were giving out free trials...I don't know how this works since you yourself did not get it from IPS, but you are having it passed on to you from somebody who did...technically this would be distributing the software, which I do know for a fact is not legal.

All in all, the best thing to do would be to ask IPS themselves using their pre-sales support, but I can almost guarantee that they are going to say that you can't do this legally without purchasing a license...which is probably the case.

GTAce, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  5. D3Si

D3Si Peon

Best Answers:
    make site and then is some one report u.. send them ur key//

D3Si, Jul 6, 2006 IP
  6. Zany_Jim

Zany_Jim Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't even use 2.0.4 as there are about 5 security patches in it, these allow people to login as admin within 2 minutes. Just buy a licence its only $60

Zany_Jim, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  7. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    at any point of time u will require support . u wud be better of getting a license

websys, Jul 9, 2006 IP