1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by rosiee007, Jun 26, 2006.

I think this query should go in site and server administration forum.. so here goes...

When i try to connect to FTP for any of my sites using Dreamweaver, i get an error..

I'm not sure how or why this error occurs. The FTP is working fine for my sites as I checked them in my office, and also asked a few friends to connect to FTP, but there's some problem with my system maybe that is causing the problem, or some problem with my internet settings.

I tried looking around on several other sites/forums for the solution to this problem, but they mention it as a problem with the hosting company.

In my case, I'm sure this is not a problem with the host.

I also tried using WS FTP pro but its giving the same error! and it's been like this for 3 or 4 days now.

Im stuck.. someone please help.

rosiee007, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you contacted the host? Have you ever been able to connect via ftp in past? I have had a problem like that with a new account. Host did not set it up according to info I was given. Wasted an afternoon going back and forth with host.

Good luck.

Smyrl, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  3. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi smyrl. Thank you for replying. As i mentioned in my post, that it wasn't a problem with the host as I was trying to connect to FTP from the PC at my home which was giving a problem, and the FTP worked fine if i tried to connect from my office PC.

I had installed Norton Antivirus a few days back on my PC but hadn't used DW for quite a few days. So I completely forgot that the problem could be due to the Antivirus settings.

I then tried to connect to FTP using the other computer at my home over the network and it worked perfect.

Then I found out that I had to disable 'Internet Worm Protection' to get FTP working :)

rosiee007, Jun 28, 2006 IP