1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amsterdam to create 'scum villages'

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Bushranger, Dec 4, 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...719247/Amsterdam-to-create-scum-villages.html

I must say I have known of a few welfare dependant, violent, dirty, government housed, sell their grandmother, teet-sucking people in my time however I don't think this is the way to fix it. I can empathise with the sentiment though. :)

Is that simply setting up another ghetto?

I think I'd force them to work for anything they get before actually gathering a whole pile of scum together, without bars. I think that is just asking for trouble.

Thoughts?

Bushranger, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Kerosene, Dec 8, 2012 IP
  3. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We have moved on from grouping troublemakers together, that was 50s think.

People moved themselves to Maryborough. Most had money to buy there.

Eaglehawk has a reputation worse than Maryborough. Why? That's where most low income earners were gathered.

Bushranger, Dec 8, 2012 IP
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I gather that's kind of what they're doing. They're in public housing and causing problems. They can get out and go on their merry way. Or, they can go to the 6 month program at the "scum village".

There are probably many homeless people around the world that would be grateful to have a place to live.

Even this,

article-2242683-16579180000005DC-779_634x423.jpg

Rebecca, Dec 10, 2012 IP
  5. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not to take a side on the issue, but grouping people who demonstrate anti-social behavior together is not going to get rid of their anti-social behavior. I suspect what you'll wind up with is concentrated anti-social behavior and crime. Perhaps some gang leaders/warlords will rise to the top of society in these scum villages.

Obamanation, Dec 10, 2012 IP
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Sure. Yet, if certain individuals with anti-social behavior are making life that difficult for other individuals in public housing (that aren't), it wouldn't be fair to allow it to continue. What do you think the solution is?

Rebecca, Dec 10, 2012 IP
  7. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I hadn't given it much thought. In the states, we used to institutionalize people in asylums for mental disorders that often lay at the root of anti-social behavior. In California, I believe it was Reagan who cut state funding for the asylums and turned all the looneys onto the streets. People with mental issues make up a healthy portion of the homeless people we see on the streets.

The libertarian in me has a hard time with rounding up the looneys and putting them in the looney bin, or forcing them onto medication that would make them less anti-social. I guess if the looney bin had no bars, perhaps it would be more acceptable. Its a shame that we are still practically living in the dark ages when it comes to mental disorders. Blood letting and leaches.

Another interesting factoid. There is no level of mental retardation or emotional instability that disqualifies a person from voting in the US. You may not know what day of the week it is or your own name, but your opinion on who should be president counts every bit as much as the sane person standing next to you.

Obamanation, Dec 10, 2012 IP
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    In my life, people with mental issues make up a healthy portion of most people.

Even myself, I can be very strange. I'm not OC. Although if I'm seriously over tired, I can't help but check again. Damn it, did I turn off the stove?!!:) Or, driving. I'm afraid of the freeway. It makes my palms sweat, and imagine horrible accidents. I just avoid it completely. lol.

In a different thread I mentioned a friend that is a single mother. Her six year old son has been suspended from school for what would probably be considered continual anti-social behavior. I talked to her today. This week she started him in a new school. She calls it boot camp. He's with other kids that are diagnosed as having behavioral problems. I hope that won't adversely effect him.

Rebecca, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  9. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Eek. If it were my kid, I'd pull him out and home school him, though that is probably not an option for a single mother. Lack of parental attention is probably what got him there in the first place.

Kids learn by example, so putting all the problematic kids together seems like a good way to reinforce that behavior and make it a lifelong thing. Much different, IMO, than how the criteria that might be applied to distribution of public housing to adults.

As far as mental disorders, sure we all have our issues. The difference for the people in the street is their mental issues prevent them from being functional human beings. Hard to say exactly where that line is, but some are very clearly on the far side of it.

Obamanation, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  10. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree. Home schooling is much better. Probably not an option unless she wins the lottery. :) On the positive side, she says they are giving her counsel in parenting. They went over a list with her of what the average 6 year-old child is capable of doing. Her son is behind. She says it's her fault because she doesn't let him do anything. She didn't know better. So this last few days she let him make a peanut butter sandwich and use a butter knife with supervision, hold the dogs leash when they go for a walk, and also pick out clothes he wants to wear for the day. I think it would be hard to have kids.

Although kids live in public housing. And they're probably influenced the most by their parents.

I'd say many probably get worse just by being homeless. It seems to be an awful way to live. If I were homeless, I would call the police! :) No way would I sleep out on the streets.

Rebecca, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  11. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Progress! It won't belong before she has him in firearms training.

It depends on how you use them. Small hands are excellent for certain types of factory work ;)

I was referring more to the school for problemed children. If you hang around with A students, chances are you will go to a good school. If all your friends sling crack, chances are you'll be a drug dealer.

Obamanation, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  12. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    But I think six is too young for that. Most child experts would probably agree it's better to wait until they're seven years old.

I worked with a man that used housework as a form of punishment. Every time his child did something wrong, he would make them clean something. He told me his house was spotless.

That makes sense. Still, she said the regular school wasn't working out. They couldn't handle him.

Rebecca, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  13. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In a few years, when a Netherlands' Aristocrat's plane gets shot down over that area, they will have to get Snake Plisken to rescue him.

Bernard, Dec 12, 2012 IP